Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bare wire, Monsoon system, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 05:45 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Default Bare wire, Monsoon system, Why?

While pulling out the Monsoon radio on my '02 car (to disable the DRLs), I noticed a bare wire connecting to the "C2" connector on the back of the radio.

I looked at the FAQ sticky on this page to find that this bare wire on the C2 connector is supposed to be bare, and is a drain. A drain for what? Pardon my ignorance with this audio/wiring stuff, but I'm just not used to bare wires being a normal thing. At first I thought my harness had been hacked by the previous owner, but it appears this wire is supposed to be bare.

Well, not knowing at the time, I put some electrical tape around this wire because I thought it needed to be covered. So, my questions are:

1) Should I remove the tape? Will this wire do it's job better when exposed?

2) What exactly is a "drain wire"?

Again, sorry if this question is a super thing, I'm a veteran LS1 owner but I've never really messed with the stock audio systems in these cars.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tape wont hurt it. its basically a ground for the signal back to the amp in laidmans terms
Old 01-21-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

well my opinion is, if GM left it bare in all these f bodies....its prolly not gonna hurt anything.