Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

HU Wiring NEED HELP!!!

Old 01-20-2008, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Exclamation HU Wiring NEED HELP!!!

Ok im wiring my alpine radio harness to my metra harness adapter. I got all the speaker wires toghter just fine. now im haveing trouble with what wires go where. 1st question does the yellow wire(Battery lead) from the alpine harness conect to the yellow(12 volt battery/memory) of the metra adapter.
2nd question what does the blue/white(Remote Turn-On lead) on alpine harness connect to on the metra harness(says blue/white ,but theres not a wire thats blue/white on metra harness.) 3rd question alpine harness pink/black(Audio Interrupt In lead) i dont think i need this connected to anything im just making sure though. 4th question blue(power antenna) wire from alpine harness with a connector plug that has 2 plug ins things on it, metra adapter a 1 blue (power antenna) wire, i dont have a power intenna so i guess i just tape both wires off. 5th question i now have just 2 wires left coming out of the metra harness adapter a black wire (ground) have no clue where this goes(there is a black ground wire coming out of the alpine harness and it says to bolt it to the chassie), and a pink/white wire (doesnt say there is even a pink/white wire on the back of the package the metra harness adapter came in so i have no clue what this is for and was wondering if it was the Remote Turn-On Lead, but dont have a clue).
6th quesion there was another wire connector that came out of the monsoon and im guessing that was the optional cd changer connector, has like 5 or 7 wires concting to it im guess i just leave that dangling under the dash cuse i dont have a cd changer.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok tie the yellows together
tie the blacks together
pink/black tape off
if you have a bose/monsoon car take the amp turn on lead blue/white and connect to metra power antenna blue wire (if not monsoon/bose dont connect)

tape off any of the other wires

other plug is changer
Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Connecting the wires is pretty much just matching the colors. The yellows connect to each other for power. Even though the HU says to ground to chassis, still connect it to the car's black wire, it will ground out just fine. Im not sure about the Pink wire, so just leave it be. even if u dont have a p. antennae, still hook the 2 appropriate wires together and tape off the one left over. The blue remote line from the HU is for turning things like amps on, so if you plan to run and amp, you will need to use it. and the extra wiring clip from the back on the monsoon in the cd changer wiring if im correct, so just let it chill somewhere. But, yea, just basically match colors and hook everything up, and whatever doesnt get hooked up you probably wont need. thats what i did with my alpine and everything works fine.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Launching!

my bad guys on question 5 ment to say orange/white(dimmer) wire not pink/white.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

there may or may not be a dimmer wire on your headunit but feel free to just tape it off
Old 01-20-2008, 10:12 PM
Staging Lane

my car didnt have (or i just plain missed it) a wire to make the dimmer connection. but, i like the fact that the stereo makes my car glow at night, so no complaints from me.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The dimmer wire in the factory harness is gray but the Alpine may not have that capability. Some aftermarket head units only use the parking light wire to turn the illumination on and off - others use the dimmer wire so that the illumination dims with the dash lights. You'll have to check the Alpine's manual to see which one it uses.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Launching!

remote turn on lead blue/white wire from alpine harness. so i just hook the power antena wires(blue) toghter and leave the remote turn on lead blue/white alone(tape off). will the stock monsoon amp still get power sence this wire is to turn on amps and other stuff or is this for sub amps after market stuff.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

The Monsoon amp uses a signal sensor to turn on (it comes on when it gets signal on the audio input wires) so it doesn't need a separate remote turn-on connection. Most aftermarket amps use the remote turn-on connection so you'll need it if you add an amp later but for now you can just tape it up.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:50 AM
Launching!

thanks man and the power antenna wires conect them even though i dont have a power antenna
Old 01-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

It doesn't really matter - connect them or tape them off. But I would connect them just in case you decide to add a power antenna sometime later. It would be a pain to have forgotten that you didn't connect the wires and try to figure out why your new antenna doesn't work.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a big deal in HIS case, but it's worth nothing that most Alpine's have 2 remote leads.. one for the power antenna, one for an amp. You don't want to put an amp turn-on wire on the antenna lead, unless you want it to shut off every time you listen to a CD..

IIRC, the Metra harness and the Alpine harness match up pretty much identically.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:32 PM
12 Second Club

just go get a smart harness and dont hack your factory stuff.

Search this Thread