Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Speaker!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Speaker!

Will the origional Monsoon stereo run subs. I have 12 inch subs ran from a thousand watt amp, It just hooks up to the monsoon right. Also, another question, would an aftermarket stereo run all the insides speakers, or would I have to get aftermarket mids? Thanks!
Old 01-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

The factory stereo will run subs, providing that you unhook the rear speakers and then LPF the signal to the amp. An after market stereo will run the speakers and if the speakers are all stock, the only thing you will notice is reduced distortion. (So I've read, anyway.) If you have, or are planning to get after market speakers, your best bet is to run them from a new amp, as the monsoon amp will cause problems with most speakers. It will not sound as good unless you bypass the amp. Check out the sticky for the monsoon system at the top of the page.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That's strange...I don't remember the FAQ sticky saying anything about the Monsoon amp causing problems with aftermarket speakers (and I wrote it). Quite the opposite - if you use the right speakers the Monsoon amp is quite capable. In fact, it's the best part of the Monsoon system (the head unit is a distortion machine and the factory speakers don't last very well).

There is no need to disconnect the sail panel speakers although you can if you find that they provide too much bass with a separate sub installed. You will need an LOC (line output converter) to convert the speaker level signal from the head unit to line level for input to your sub amp. You can connect it at the head unit but it's generally more convenient to get the same wires at the input side of the Monsoon amp in the right rear quarter panel. The pinout for the Monsoon amp is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky.

Replacing the factory head unit is a good idea for clearer sound. Even if you do that, it's not necessary to replace or rewire the speakers - you can install a head unit in place of the Monsoon just as you would with any other factory stereo. The factory speakers should be okay for a while so you can keep them or replace them later if you want (you'll have to eventually because they tend to fall apart).
Old 01-21-2008, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That's strange...I don't remember the FAQ sticky saying anything about the Monsoon amp causing problems with aftermarket speakers (and I wrote it). Quite the opposite - if you use the right speakers the Monsoon amp is quite capable. In fact, it's the best part of the Monsoon system (the head unit is a distortion machine and the factory speakers don't last very well).

There is no need to disconnect the sail panel speakers although you can if you find that they provide too much bass with a separate sub installed. You will need an LOC (line output converter) to convert the speaker level signal from the head unit to line level for input to your sub amp. You can connect it at the head unit but it's generally more convenient to get the same wires at the input side of the Monsoon amp in the right rear quarter panel. The pinout for the Monsoon amp is in the Monsoon FAQ sticky.

Replacing the factory head unit is a good idea for clearer sound. Even if you do that, it's not necessary to replace or rewire the speakers - you can install a head unit in place of the Monsoon just as you would with any other factory stereo. The factory speakers should be okay for a while so you can keep them or replace them later if you want (you'll have to eventually because they tend to fall apart).
lol, i didnt mean the sticky said stuff about the amp causing problems. i told him to read the sticky to find out more info about the monsoon in general. i also meant disconnecting the speakers in the hatch, cause in my case the subs made quick use of them pretty fast. after about 2 weeks of vibrating, they pretty much died. i also agree the system can sound pretty good with the RIGHT speakers, but in some cases it'll probably be better to run an after market amp.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:41 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That's right, the hatch speakers really aren't much use unless perhaps you carry rear seat passengers a lot. I figure the rear seats only have seat belts so that you can strap in your groceries (or people you really don't like).

Certainly, speaker replacement and using an aftermarket amp can make a huge difference in sound (unless your idea of a good audio shop is Wal-Mart). But those on a budget can save that for later and still have decent sound by upgrading the head unit and adding a sub (with amp) while keeping the factory amp for the other speakers.
Old 01-21-2008, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Yall answered my question thanks!