Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Best way to tune my system

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Best way to tune my system

I have had this system for barely a year, but one of buddies always tuned it for me if i had to unplug the battery. But now he is studyin out of town, and i need to figure out how to do it myelf. I have a pioneer premier headunit and there are some options on there that i dont have a freakin clue what they are. I have 2 12 inch Memphis subs powered by a memphis amp. and i have 4 infinity speakers power by an infinity amp. So what is the best way to tune the system? should i do most of the tuning at the amps or at the headunit?
Old 01-28-2008, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

I would ask your friend what he does to tune it

If you like the sound now, I would go through every setting and write them down so that you can put it back together again if it loses power.

If you want to buy a cheapie radio shack sound pressure level meter then you might spend some time reading this:
http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/car-...e-your-eq.html
Old 01-28-2008, 06:36 PM
12 Second Club

when i did mine i turned the radio up to around as loud as i would ever turn it up, and went back to the amp and started to turn ***** on the amp, like the gain and crossovers and whatever other functions your amp has..... and after i tinkered with that i went inside to the head unit and set up the options to how i liked it, i had a pioneer premiere head unit and a brutus amplifier which complimented each other very nicely... just listen to the sound as you turn the dials just dont turn the gain all the way up and blow your speakers!I hope this helps
Old 01-28-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Set gains properly on the amp with all HU settings flat, then adjust accordingly from there to your liking. Not sure how in depth of a tune you want -- there is only so much you can do without additional equipment.

What model HU?
Old 01-29-2008, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got the HU Pioneer Premier DEH-9800BT. Its a really good HU, but has so many options that i have no clue what to do. Like the front and rear hpf and lpf. Also, do i turn on loundness? I have no freakin clue. I read that website, but what do i do in my case. What do i do about the amps? what do i turn the gains and crossover to? I mostly listen to rap and occasionally listen to anything else. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

In the pioneer manual for that hu it describes what the hpf and all that does so i would suggest reading that and determine if you need it. i like the hpf because it wont allow your subwoofers to hit above the specified frequency, and the low pass i believe doesnt allow your door speakers to hit below the frequency, and i dont use the crossover on the amp unless your setup requires it..... and for the loudness that really doesnt matter i usually had it off until i wanted to get loud then i turned it up.. I had the pioneer premier model 5800 so it should have most of the same features.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea, i guess i should read that manual, but i dont know if it will still help. if i was gonna do that tune with the sound pressure level meter, do i have to mess with lpf and hpf? also i read that i should turn off the rear speakers, does he mean turning off the subs?
Old 01-30-2008, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

im assumeing your model has sub-preouts... this turns your subwoofers on and off, you dont have to mess with the lpf or the hpf but its a good idea and makes your speakers sound better so your subs dont try and hit highs, and your door speakers dont try and hit lows... it allows your speakers and subs to specialize in what they do either highs or lows. But no you dont have to mess around with it, at the very least i would just turn them on and mess around with it when you hear the difference in the sound.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by stewaj11
im assumeing your model has sub-preouts... this turns your subwoofers on and off, you dont have to mess with the lpf or the hpf but its a good idea and makes your speakers sound better so your subs dont try and hit highs, and your door speakers dont try and hit lows... it allows your speakers and subs to specialize in what they do either highs or lows. But no you dont have to mess around with it, at the very least i would just turn them on and mess around with it when you hear the difference in the sound.
it sounds like u know this stuff pretty good. i read that website above, but i still had some trouble with it. so from what i understand, i should turn off the subs and then start adjusting the equalizers? i dont understand the part about the graph tho. do u think u can explain it better?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:45 PM
12 Second Club

bump
same head
Old 02-04-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pioneer Premier are kick *** car stereos.

You have 2 12's and 4 speakers and amp for each. I would say lower the levels on the radio then adjust the amps higher a little at a time then go back to the stereo and adjust there.

On mine im still learning how make adjustments on some parts.

I don't know know if your has the three levels of adjust ments bass, midds, treble? followed by a few bars? Well if you have the outline into the bass adjuster then turn the **** to the bars you then adjust the bars and the bass will adjust to differnt settings. And its the same thing when you move the outline to the midd, you turn the **** to the bars to show and know you adjusting the midd sound. I don't know if your model has this but mind does and makes adjustments to these two make a big differnce especial to the bars graph.