Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switch

What is the best way to wire up a kill switch? Just tap into one of the ignition wires under the driver kick panel and wire a momentary switch to complete the circuit? Basically I just need to know which wire is the best to use.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bump.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:35 PM
11 Second Club

yup. thats about it that i know
Old 01-20-2008, 04:31 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Do you want an ignition kill or a starter kill? Either way, a momentary switch isn't go to do it without some other parts such as a latching relay.

There are a number of ways to do this. What do you want to accomplish and how sophisticated (theft proof) do you want it to be?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Do you want an ignition kill or a starter kill? Either way, a momentary switch isn't go to do it without some other parts such as a latching relay.

There are a number of ways to do this. What do you want to accomplish and how sophisticated (theft proof) do you want it to be?
I basically just want to hide a switch to activate when I turn key the ignition. For safety purposes and I have annoying family members always trying to steal my car
Old 01-21-2008, 02:29 AM
Staging Lane

You could get in the fuse box and do some re-wiring to a simple switch from walmart and mount in under the dash
Old 01-21-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chattanooga
You could get in the fuse box and do some re-wiring to a simple switch from walmart and mount in under the dash
Well you see, that doesn't help me very much . That's the whole point of this thread. HOW
Old 01-21-2008, 01:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'm still not sure exactly how you would like this to work but here's one possibility...

Use a hidden (but reachable) momentary switch wired inline to one of the two VATS wires at the base of the steering column. One wire is purple with white and the other is white with black. The circuit will be normally open and will connect when you press the button. This means you will have to press and hold the button when you start the car otherwise the security light in the instrument cluster will flash. Once the car is started you can release the button and the car will operate normally. This configuration will prevent the starter from operating and also turn off the fuel injectors to prevent the engine from running unless the button is held during starting.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is what I use - probably one of the best starter kills: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/starterkill.htm
Old 01-21-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fredmr39
This is what I use - probably one of the best starter kills: http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/starterkill.htm
thats good but prolly not for the beginner.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
thats good but prolly not for the beginner.
Should be more doable (given the pics, etc.) than a lot of stuff he will read for a (probably) less effective switch.
Old 01-25-2008, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I'm still not sure exactly how you would like this to work but here's one possibility...

Use a hidden (but reachable) momentary switch wired inline to one of the two VATS wires at the base of the steering column. One wire is purple with white and the other is white with black. The circuit will be normally open and will connect when you press the button. This means you will have to press and hold the button when you start the car otherwise the security light in the instrument cluster will flash. Once the car is started you can release the button and the car will operate normally. This configuration will prevent the starter from operating and also turn off the fuel injectors to prevent the engine from running unless the button is held during starting.
That works, but if you forget to press the button or don't press it correctly, the car goes into security mode for so many minutes just as if your key fob is jacking up. Is there a way to wire a switch that will block the power source going to your starter unless you push the switch?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Jayh
That works, but if you forget to press the button or don't press it correctly, the car goes into security mode for so many minutes just as if your key fob is jacking up.
No, it doesn't - that's the beauty of this setup. The VATS system goes into security mode (requiring a three minute wait) only if it detects a key with the wrong resistor. If it detects no resistor (as would happen if you didn't press the button), it assumes that you have the correct key but it's damaged - the security light flashes but it lets you try again without the wait.

Originally Posted by Jayh
Is there a way to wire a switch that will block the power source going to your starter unless you push the switch?
That's exactly what this mod does.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

brian, if you want i can bring you a wiring schematic from work of the complete system