Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Has anybody ever thought this idea for in-dash unit?

Old 02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anybody ever thought this idea for in-dash unit?

I was thinking about it today after searching on here about the avic-d3 and was thinking how I don't like the way that the bezels look or people's custom made ones that much. Has anybody ever though about maybe using fiberglass and make a custom mold or something that could hold this unit. I was thinking mount it above the 3 vents on a firebird(on a spot almost flat) You could make it long and so that maybe it would smooth out into the dash somewhere closer to the windshield? I'll try to do a photochop and try to show yall guys what I am talking about, but does anybody get what I'm saying? Any you could use the space that your head unit was in for gauges or switches or whatever else you could think of...

You would have a peice(made of fiberglass possibly and painted) to hold the unit in. It would go around all side of the unit and kind of fade into the dash. it seems this would be more convenient for a gps instead of having to keep looking down. Two of my only questions is how deep is the avic-d3? and most importantly, would it block much of your view that you need to see?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by 94BlackSSClone; 02-06-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

It looks like it may get in the drivers view, idk.......but i like the idea, go for it!
Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 AM
TECH Regular

hmm this is like this in some cadillacs i i think may look good
Old 02-07-2008, 06:20 PM
On The Tree

One question for people with trans am's....Can you tell me where the gaps are in the dash, like where two peices come together on the top. I know in my 94z, a big panel is there and in the way. Pictures would be greatly appriciated
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You'd probably have issues with the ducting for the 3 center vents and whatnot..

Also, I think you'd lose all your vision of the RF corner of the car. It's been a week since I last drove it, but I can't see it not getting in the way.

OTOH, if you wanted to get really creative, you could 'glass the upper part of the dash and re-duct the vents down a little lower, which would let you put the D3 further down, not obstructing vision as much.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

That would look like ***, and so would gauges where the stock stereo...Also, if it's so inconvenient for you to look down at a gps, why wouldn't it be to look down at gauges

I think it would look a thousand times cleaner if you just worked with the bezel and wrapped it in vinyl when you're done.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The avic is pretty big man. Making a unit sit on the top of the dash would look just plain ugly. The unit is also considerably deep, with the wire harness attached your adding another few inches. You would literally have to make a box that extends all the way to the windshield, maybe even through it. There is NO way to pull it off while retaining a classy, stock look. Plus, mounting it that high is begging for it to get stolen. I think it's a bad idea.

Oh yeah, your dimensions are off in your photoshop job. The avic is a double din and you have it almost equal to the din and a half stock unit. You need to make it taller.

Search this Thread