Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Question about wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about wiring harness

So no matter what website I goto, it recomends nearly the exact same wiring harness as http://www.crutchfield.com/S-orxlJWL...C4GM02&tp=3486
My question is how does this fit, it says 21 pin made to fit 4 speakers, yet my 1995 z has 5 speakers.?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

If you have a five speaker factory system, you must have a Bose system. There are special harness adapters required to install an aftermarket head unit in a Bose system.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The standard gm harness works just fine with the bose system, just make sure to hook up the remote line so the bose amp turns on
Old 02-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
The standard gm harness works just fine with the bose system, just make sure to hook up the remote line so the bose amp turns on
Sorry...no. The Bose system in early 4th-gen Camaros used a special head unit that had low-level, high-impedance output to speakers with individual amps attached to them. Those speaker/amp combinations used common ground rather than the floating ground used by almost all aftermarket head units. So a Bose-specific adapter is required in order to connect an aftermarket head unit. The adapter has a LOC built-in for signal conversion and handles the multiple amp power and common ground connections.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

This has been discussed before, my best friend has a 95z with bose and his radio is isntalled with a standard gm wiring harness and it works fine been this way for 3 years. It was either here or on CZ28 it was beaten to death the topic.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'm speaking from personal experience. I had a 95 Z28 with Bose and could not get an aftermarket HU to work properly without the adapter. It would work somewhat but distorted terribly. Besides, why would they sell Bose adapters if they weren't necessary. Electronics companies don't spend time developing solutions for non-existent problems.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im not arguing with you im just saying in my experience it worked and has worked with no problems
Old 02-07-2008, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I'm speaking from personal experience. I had a 95 Z28 with Bose and could not get an aftermarket HU to work properly without the adapter. It would work somewhat but distorted terribly. Besides, why would they sell Bose adapters if they weren't necessary. Electronics companies don't spend time developing solutions for non-existent problems.
Where do i purchase this? I thought the bose adaptor is what I linked in my thread?
Old 02-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by MikegotaZ28
Where do i purchase this? I thought the bose adaptor is what I linked in my thread?
Sorry, I didn't actually look at the link - I just assumed it was the standard GM harness adapter (for non-premium systems).

Yes, that one will work. There are Bose-specific adapters that are basically the same thing except pre-tuned for the Bose amp setup but that one will do the job. Don't worry about the fifth speaker. It's actually a subwoofer and the wiring for it is handled in the factory harness farther down beyond where you plug in the adapter. In other words, the head unit only has four channel output and the fifth channel (subwoofer signal) is drawn from them.