Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Just got a new head unit installed..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 03:11 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a new head unit installed..

I just installed my brand new Alpine CDA-9887 head unit. It makes a loud "pop" sound whenever I turn on the cd player -- but that was normal ever since my first headunit I put in the car. Now with the new headunit as mentioned above I get the exact same "pop" sound but quieter occuring every 10-15 seconds.

Any suggestions to get rid of this? I tried a search but no luck.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

That might be your monsoon amp turning on, just a thought. When you use the factory harness, the speaker signals from your new head unit go through the factory monsoon amp and then to the speakers. Not only does this create a "double amp" effect, it creates more distortion and when it powers up, i would bet that it creates the noise that you are talking about.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock Monsoon HU sends the Monsoon amp a speaker level signal just like aftermarket HU he just installed so it isn't creating a "double amp" effect. The Monsoon HU does not have low level RCA type output to the factory Monsoon amp so it is the same type of signal going to it. Plus several people on here have aftermarket HU's installed with there Monsoon and have no popping noise issues. In fact it creates less distortion not more when using an aftermarket HU.
To me it sounds like a power/wiring problem.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Loose connection?
Old 02-10-2008, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Check your ground. Do you have an aftermarket amp, or still have the monsoon?
Old 03-08-2008, 03:08 AM
TECH Regular

Ground is good, and amp is aftermarket.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

That deck should have a IC Power option on it in the menu somewhere. Turn that off. It basically turns the deck's amp off. See if that helps.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
That deck should have a IC Power option on it in the menu somewhere. Turn that off. It basically turns the deck's amp off. See if that helps.
Good idea. My Sony Xplod has the "Loud" setting which I assume is similar to the Alipnes "IC Power" option. When I turn that on, it makes the same "pop" noise when I turn my key to turn the radio on. But when I disable it, it doesn't make that pop noise. So I also recommend checking into that.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blindxeyed
Good idea. My Sony Xplod has the "Loud" setting which I assume is similar to the Alipnes "IC Power" option. When I turn that on, it makes the same "pop" noise when I turn my key to turn the radio on. But when I disable it, it doesn't make that pop noise. So I also recommend checking into that.
Nothing like it actually. Loud just makes the music... louder. IC Power is the control for the actual amp in the deck, the thing that usually puts out like 18wx4 rms. Turning it off gives you a cleaner signal some of the time, and is generally recommended when amping speakers.