Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Security light Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 03:46 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security light Problems

Sometimes my security light comes on and the car will not crank! This has happend to me two times now...I tried everything to get it off, finally I let down both windows and the light went off and the car started. What gives? Are the windows setting off the security system? I did put in new door speakers about a month ago...but this problem started last week. I don't want to get stranded somewhere. How can I fix this or disable the security system?
Old 07-11-2003, 04:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Re: Security light Problems

what year is that car? if its a few years old, maybe your having probs with the vats system? thats the little "chip" in the key. you can put and ohm meter across the key and see what resistence your key has. then goto radio shack and get some resistors to match. then just solder them in where the wires go into the key. the system works on a certain resistence, and the car wont start unless this resistence is therer. so cut the wires that go in and bypass the key entiresly. im sure if you search on vats there are better posts on this bypass, but its 5 and time to get a beer at happy hour
Old 07-11-2003, 04:06 PM
Teching In

My car is a 98 Trans am. Any other Ideas?
Old 07-11-2003, 05:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine was doing the exact same thing. It progressively got worse until the car would not crank about every other start. I finally soldered in a resistor that matched the chip in my key and bypassed the VATS. Problem solved.

There are two little white wires (with contacts) in the column. When you turn the key, it creates a complete circuit, the PCM reads the resistance in your key, makes sure it is correct and lets the car start. If these contacts are bad, the resistance is read incorrectly and the car won't start.

Before you start snipping wires, if you have a spare key, try that first. Also, clean the chip on your key and the key tumblers in the column with a little alcohol and see if that works.

If that doesn't work, do a search on VATS and see if you can find posts regarding disabling it. If you still need help, shoot me an email.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:00 PM
Teching In

The security light is on before I even put the key in the ignition. Why would letting the windows down make the security light go off and then crank? That is why I think it is something in the windows...mabye something is hitting the sensors in the door...but next time it does it I'll try my spare key.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

The security resets after 2-3 minutes. I think you lowering the windows and the light going out is just a fluke.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:05 PM
Teching In

This is how it happend...I locked my car up came back about an hour later and that is when I saw the security light on then tried to start it and it wouldn't. Is there any way to turn the securty system off? I really don't need it.