Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Where to mount Amp?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to mount Amp?

I need some suggestion's on where i should mount the Amp. If you remember my last thread, i mentioned ill be getting 2 12" Rockford Fosgate Punch 2's w/ the box that fit's right in the back.

I just got to thinking, where the hell am i gonna mount the amp???? Do i get a custom made box that will go right behind the seat's into the trunk part??? You know where all that free space is that you see when looking threw the back window. Or is there a place i can get that box from???
Old 02-10-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can mount by spare tire

or depending on box at the bottom of ttop well
Old 02-10-2008, 09:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How big of an amp and it needs air for cooling needs to be considered
Old 02-10-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

So your subs are going in your t-top holding area or i guess your trunk if you don't have t's???

I have my two 10's and amp and custom box all on the "extra space" that you're talking about.. made the box custom that way I could still stash my t's... It looks good and hits good too.. Plus with it's location I removed those strap down hooks and bolted my box to the car so that the sob wasn't moving.. hahaha
Old 02-10-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Well it's going to be a 1000 Watt Amp, and yeaa the sub's & box will be going into the T-Top holding area. I hardly take my T-Top's off, which now that i think about it......What happen's when i do lol I guess i can always lay em in the free space section, but would that cause a problem if i mount the amp in that area???
Old 02-10-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

A problem for the amp being there? The only thing you might want to do is fab up some sort of cover to keep the sun off of it if it's parked outside on really hot days..

As for the T's, you can't put them there if you mount the amp there unless you want to risk scratching them and if you don't, they'll prob slide all over the place while you're driving if they'll even lay down there...

Is there not any space to mount the amp between the subs? Iono but I love my box... Strong as crap, won't move anywhere, keep my trunk/t-top place, and it puts the weight directly over the back tires.. I say fab up your own box and sell the other.. But good luck
Old 02-10-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm, idk ill have to look into the box. Ive yet to recieve it.....I guess ill try & find somewhere to mount it.....
Old 02-10-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, you'll make it work man... and if it comes down to it i'm sure you can fab up another t-top holder in the back seat or somewhere..

You cold probably mount it under the box somewhere and put a small fan todraw air in and out and that might keep it cool enough..
Old 02-10-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy has an ED nine1 in spare tire well and a big kicker 4channel at bottom of ttop well which doesnt get any air with a sub box being right above it and no problems
Old 02-11-2008, 03:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
My buddy has an ED nine1 in spare tire well and a big kicker 4channel at bottom of ttop well which doesnt get any air with a sub box being right above it and no problems
Yea and I've got a 1200 watt 4 channel amp that will clip due to heat if it doesnt get any air. Run a powerfull amp on a hot day with no air and it isnt going to last very long. Read the mounting instructions on the amp.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Been running the big kicker 4 channel i think 120x4 or maybe more and the nine1 like that for 2 years now, never once a problem yet, some amps handle it better then otheres

In my fox body i hate a polk c400.4 4 channel and nine1 mounted where the spare tire woudl have been no air flow never a problem in 3 years and i beat the hell out of my stuff
Old 02-11-2008, 09:33 AM
Banned

IT doesnt matter to me where a person mounts thier ****. I could carebless if someone burn an amp up. Let me ask one question. What do the directions from the MFG say?

In cold weather it's not an issue. Get above 90* and have that thing cranking and it does not like to be sitting in heat. Read the mounting directions and see what they say.

I use all 1200 watts of my amp, its not just a pretty number. Power output, efficiency all come into play when you start heating them up. I dont replace my stuff every 2 years, theres no reason to. Diamond speakers in the doors and a BA G5 single 10".

Simple system but will blow away most of whats on this board. Sound quality is were its at kids.

First you say your buddy runs the stuff now you say its your stuff. Which is it volvo?

For the poster here read your directions. I dont know of one quality amp made that doesnt discuss airflow and mounting locations in it's directions. They are there for a reason.

I'm out of this thread, no going to argue with kids. You want your **** to last you dont overheat it. You want to do it right read the directions and dont listen to someone like Volvo above who thinks he knows what he's doing because he doesnt. Just because you get away with something doesnt mean it's the prefered method. Electronics dont like heat.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
IT doesnt matter to me where a person mounts thier ****. I could carebless if someone burn an amp up. Let me ask one question. What do the directions from the MFG say?

In cold weather it's not an issue. Get above 90* and have that thing cranking and it does not like to be sitting in heat. Read the mounting directions and see what they say.

I use all 1200 watts of my amp, its not just a pretty number. Power output, efficiency all come into play when you start heating them up. I dont replace my stuff every 2 years, theres no reason to. Diamond speakers in the doors and a BA G5 single 10".

Simple system but will blow away most of whats on this board. Sound quality is were its at kids.

First you say your buddy runs the stuff now you say its your stuff. Which is it volvo?

For the poster here read your directions. I dont know of one quality amp made that doesnt discuss airflow and mounting locations in it's directions. They are there for a reason.

I'm out of this thread, no going to argue with kids. You want your **** to last you dont overheat it. You want to do it right read the directions and dont listen to someone like Volvo above who thinks he knows what he's doing because he doesnt. Just because you get away with something doesnt mean it's the prefered method. Electronics dont like heat.
Amen brother...
Old 02-11-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah instuctions say to get air flow

My buddy runs a nine1 and a big kicker in his camaro
I had a nine1 and a polk c400.4 in my fox body stang, sold the car now its in my new car

Im not saying its perfect im saying its been fine for me
Old 02-11-2008, 01:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS

first of all, i had a 4 channel mounted in my spare tire well for prolly a year and a half in my WS6, never had a problem and i WORKED that amp.

secondly, dont say things about people you dont know. saying someone "doesnt know what they're doing" is a pretty bold statement about someone youve never met. i take it you have never personally seen any of his installs.

thirdly, while the manufacturer might say one thing, thats just recommended. GM also tells you to shift into 2nd gear at 18 mph or something like that. if you wanna live your life to manufacturers recommendations and the "safety first" mentality, have fun with that

there's a huge gap between being stupid and being over cautious. many answers to problems in life are found somewhere in that gap.

badguy. i would recommend mounting the amp in the spare tire well or underneath the box for a clean install and simplicity. if your running subs that like around 600 RMS each, dont stick a 500 RMS mono in one of these locations with the gain maxed out and expect it to last. if your running a Dual 1200 Watt amp, this might happen also. but if you have anything DECENT, you will be fine for longer than you could care.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 69z-28
first of all, i had a 4 channel mounted in my spare tire well for prolly a year and a half in my WS6, never had a problem and i WORKED that amp.

secondly, dont say things about people you dont know. saying someone "doesnt know what they're doing" is a pretty bold statement about someone youve never met. i take it you have never personally seen any of his installs.

thirdly, while the manufacturer might say one thing, thats just recommended. GM also tells you to shift into 2nd gear at 18 mph or something like that. if you wanna live your life to manufacturers recommendations and the "safety first" mentality, have fun with that

there's a huge gap between being stupid and being over cautious. many answers to problems in life are found somewhere in that gap.

badguy. i would recommend mounting the amp in the spare tire well or underneath the box for a clean install and simplicity. if your running subs that like around 600 RMS each, dont stick a 500 RMS mono in one of these locations with the gain maxed out and expect it to last. if your running a Dual 1200 Watt amp, this might happen also. but if you have anything DECENT, you will be fine for longer than you could care.
A year and a half.. wow that's soooo long.. Look, the point is if you want to get the best life span and performance out of your amp, it should have airflow and stay as cool as possible..

No reason to be throwing in the gay signs because someone abides by that and takes the best care of their amp that they can... Just because you want to disregard instructions and how to make you amp last doesn't mean you're billy bad *** or that your way is best...

I'm done with this thread... To the OP, good luck with the mount and box and take all this advice for what it's worth..
Old 02-11-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Part of the reason alot of ppl put the amp under the sub box or in the spare tire well, is cause with a rear hatch/ttop box the only place left otherwise is on the rear deck, which IMO kills what space is left and screams steal me
Old 02-11-2008, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

a year and a half everyday. i drove my car year round and the stereo was always banging. in 30* winters and 90+* summers.

and the "gay" sign, ehhh get over it.

like stated, under the box and in the well are good places because with the hatch closed, people dont know you have hundreds/thousands of dollars of stereo equipment waiting to be stolen. if you want the best cooling, you can mount it where everyone can look at it and it will prolly be jacked within a month. if you want sufficient cooling and a hidden setup, well or underneath works. check this....

http://www.projectcamaro.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=11864

2nd paragraph in 1st post.

this was his setup....

with 30% tint i think.....

put it underneath or in the well
Old 02-11-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've had mine exactly like that except angled towards the interior of the car for 5+ years and never had a problem with anyone seeing it or breaking in... Have 25% tint.. State legal here.. So just leave it out and prolong it's life and make a good mount for it..
Old 02-11-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey didnt mean to start anything with you just a difference in opinions, some areas are safer then others with an amp sitting there