Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Infinity Speaker Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Infinity Speaker Question

I am going to replace my door speakers with the Infinity KAPPA 62.7i coaxial speaker.

Ive read the Monsoon FAQ where it says; "the door speakers are wired as components so you either have to buy component replacements or get coax speakers that can be modified to separate the wiring of the tweeters from the mids (or you can just install coax speakers and ignore the extra channel up front)."
-Do the Infinity KAPPA 62.7i have seperate wiring connections like the stock "coaxial" speakers? 2 for mid and 2 for tweeters?
-If not and I ignore the extra channel, will I just be powering the 6.5 mid and putting nothing to the tweeter?

On infinitys website the manual for these speakers show it having 4 connections, can anybody running these verify that. the manual is pretty broad and i would rather ask than order them and be wrong.

Ive also read https://ls1tech.com/forums/wiring-stereo-electronics/126979-those-wanting-only-upgrade-speakers-camaro-s-come-here.html like 15 times and I am having a hard time picturing this visually. Can anyone that has had experience with this help explain this or provide a schematic of this. I think I'm getting confused on when he says things like the tweeter connection. I'm not sure if hes talking about the actual wires connected to the HU or the actual terminal on the speaker. And if the Infinity KAPPA 62.7i have separate wiring connections like I asked earlier in the post, this is irrelevant info, Correct?

Thanks in advance
Old 03-25-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

in the sticky above it will show wiring diagrams for the headunit and amp. if you have a monsoon chevy like me you will need to run one set of +/- to the mid and the other to the tweeter being as they are controlled to only get certain freq's from the amp. i am going to be installing a set of alpine 17c-2's in the door and have to do the same thing. unfortunately i dont know how easy this will be on your infinity speaks.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Turn a coaxial speaker over and you will see the wiring terminals mounted to the frame. Behind the terminals (and connected to them) are a pair of small wires that go to the back of the tweeter mounted in the center of the speaker. When signal wires are connected to the terminals, the signal goes to both the woofer and the tweeter (using those little wires). To modify the coaxial speaker to work like a component set you have to cut those small wires. Then you connect the mid signal wires from the car to the terminals and the tweeter signal wires to the wires on the speaker that you just cut. That gives you separate signal going to the speaker's woofer and tweeter.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:56 PM
On The Tree

Thanks whitebird! Thats a lot more straight forward.
I thought this was what he ment by when he said "clip" but wasnt sure.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those speakers will be easy the wires come off of them seperately, you will not be using the crossover thats included
Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

ok thanks pentavolvo!
the wires come off them seperatly? as in the tweeters and mids each have their own terminals?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup u will totally see they have there own terminals when you go to put it in
Old 03-25-2008, 07:46 PM
On The Tree

Awesome yea i dont physically have them yet. Thanks
Old 03-27-2008, 01:21 AM
Banned

i have the kappa 60.7 cs (component) system in my doors they sounded fn amazing but now i think my HU is out cause every speaker in my car is now distorted even my 12" subwoofer