Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Auto headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Auto headlights

Has anybody ever wired a switch up to the auto headlights? I know it sounds like that defeats the purpose, but I think it would be nice to have the option for the auto lights to not come on (yes, I know there are ways to just straight up disable it, but I'd rather have it wired to a switch). Anyway, my main question is how would I go about wiring in a stock fog light switch? I'm not real electrically inclined, so any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Adding a switch is fairly easy. You just wire it so that it shorts the two sensor leads together when you turn it on. You'll have to think of the switch as "manual control" because the on/off usage is reversed - when the switch is on the automatic function of the headlights is off (manual light control).

Assuming you have a Camaro (because you wouldn't want a second Firebird foglight switch), connect lengths of wire to each of terminals E and F of the switch. Then splice each of the wires into the two sensor wires. Don't cut the sensor wires just use scotchlocks or something similar to splice the two switch wires into the two sensor wires. When the switch is off, the automatic headlights will work normally. When teh switch is on, the headlights will only turn on with the headlight switch.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Instead of the scotchlock, extend the wires to a switch that will basically short the wires together just like the scotchlock, but you'll have more control.