Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Bose? Into my Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bose? Into my Camaro

MY buddie has a 2003 Z06 and he has what looks to be the same headunit it just doesnt say Monsoon on it but he has bose speakers and they kick the crap out of my junk monsoon speakers...So could I just by Bose speakers for a Zo6 or a vette with bose? And wire them in? Just give me some insight guys thanks.
Old 04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Bose system is completely different than the Monsoon system. The Bose system has small amps built into each speaker where as your Monsoon system is powered by what is essentially a conventional amp and then distributed to each speaker.
The best upgrade for the Monsoon system is to upgrade the speakers and the head unit. The Monsoon amp is not all that bad it is just fed a crap signal from the Monsoon HU. Then the distorted signal in sent to the stock speakers which are made of poor quality materials as are most stock speakers. The stock paper cones and foam surrounds deteriorate over time and that is what causes them to sound bad later.
I have several very good replacements that work with the Monsoon system and can vastly improve your sound without having to change much. These improvements would probably sound as good or better than your buddies Bose system.
I'd be happy to help put something together for you. PM me with a budget in mind and I can come up with something I think you would like and would be compatible with your Monsoon system.
Old 04-01-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wotn come close to working. the vette has a seperate signal processor, and the door setup wont remotely fit an fbody, let alone aftermarket woudl be way better
Old 04-01-2008, 08:02 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Right, pentavolvo, the Bose system in late model 'Vettes (and some SUVs) isn't the same as the old Bose system in Camaros. The head unit may look the same but it puts out constant level pre-amp signal to a single digital amp. The signal doesn't vary regardless of volume, tone, balance, or fader settings on the head unit. There is a separate serial data connection between the head unit and the amp that sends all those variations. The amp has a digital signal processor that applies modifications for volume, tone, etc., amplifies the signal, and then sends it to the speakers.

In any case, it's not the speakers that make it sound like it does - it's the entire system. Trying to put it in an f-body wouldn't work. Kee Audio can set you up with some equipment that will turn the Monsoon system into something really worth listening to.
Old 04-01-2008, 09:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Whitebird actually in the C5 vette the headunit has variable level pre amp signal the bose processor just EQs it or some BS. You can actually tap the back of the radio with rca connectors and get preouts for amps. BUt yes the newer GMs do that constant level to the digital amp BS
Old 04-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

I must be thinking of the C6 'Vettes.
Old 04-02-2008, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

C6 actually you can tap into at the back of the headunit as well for low level inputs haha... u must be thinking of every other modern gm
Old 04-02-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Addict

Yes, go aftermarket definitely. There is not a car made that can't be improved upon with aftermarket audio.