Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

New stealth satellite antenna location

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Default New stealth satellite antenna location

While installing my new head unit, I found a new place to put a satellite radio antenna that is completely hidden, easy to install, and gets excellent reception. I've been driving with it for a week now and have experienced no more dropouts than I did with the antenna on the roof. The best part is it takes only minutes to install because there's no routing of the cable necessary - just run it to the hole above the head unit and drop it down to the back of the radio.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you took the dashpad off to get to this location???
Old 04-01-2008, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no hes got one of those clear dashpads.
Old 04-01-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that the !dashpad mod? I am going to move my antenna there though.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

I was pulling the top dash trim panel (the unpadded part that goes up to the windshield) to find a place for the GPS antenna. I put the GPS antenna on the same metal plate on the right side.

Just be careful pulling up that panel - it has very sharp edges (don't ask how I know that ) and it gets brittle after years of baking in the sun.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

for some reason I can't picture where that is and how the hell do you remove the dash pad on these?
Old 04-02-2008, 07:58 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

That's looking down through the windshield directly in front of the driver's position (you can see the left windshield wiper in the top left of the picture).

Removing the dash panel:
- If you have t-tops, remove them. You will find two Phillips screws at the top of the windshield pillar that hold the pillar trim in place, remove them, then remove the trim. Without t-tops, the pillar trim is held only by clips so it just pops off.
- With the pillar trim removed from both sides, carefully pry up the dash panel. It is held in place by clips and plastic positioning dowels along the edge closest to the dash pad and by velcro along the edge closest to the windshield (you can see one of the velcro pads in the photo directly in front of the Sirius antenna).

The removal takes less than five minutes. Reinstallation is just the reverse of removal and takes about the same time.

Quick Reply: New stealth satellite antenna location