Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon amp

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 10:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon amp

I have read that the amp in a camaro is dif than the one in a TA. Is this true and would it be worth it to get one out of a yard and replace mine?
Also I noticed that some people were using JL 6 w0 subs in the sail did they have to cut the metal to get them to fit? Thanks for all your help
Old 04-06-2008, 12:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The amps are different between Camaros and Firebirds because the speaker channels are used differently. Both are eight channel amps and there are no power or quality differences between them - they're just configured a little differently. Camaro amps power all eight speaker elements - tweeters and mids in the doors, 2-ohm SVC subs in the sail panels, and full-range speakers in the hatch area. Firebird amps power the mids in the doors, 4-ohm DVC subs in the sail panels, and mids in the hatch area (the tweeters are all powered by the head unit directly). Each of those channels is configured for the type of speaker so the amps aren't interchangeable.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The amps are different between Camaros and Firebirds because the speaker channels are used differently. Both are eight channel amps and there are no power or quality differences between them - they're just configured a little differently. Camaro amps power all eight speaker elements - tweeters and mids in the doors, 2-ohm SVC subs in the sail panels, and full-range speakers in the hatch area. Firebird amps power the mids in the doors, 4-ohm DVC subs in the sail panels, and mids in the hatch area (the tweeters are all powered by the head unit directly). Each of those channels is configured for the type of speaker so the amps aren't interchangeable.
In other words the two cars are wired diffrently
Old 04-06-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't bother getting a Monsoon amp; get something aftermarket or if you have a good head-unit, then use that.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted99ss
In other words the two cars are wired diffrently
Yes, the speakers are different and the wiring from the amp to the speakers is different.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Teching In

I am not intrested in mounting amps speakers or anything else that requires drilling any holes in my car. I am not expecting mine to sound like I have a huge sub in a box with an amp. All I am looking for is a good quality sounding bass with some clear sounding speakers in the doors and hatch. I am not sure what I need.