Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Completely redoing the sound system (amongst other things)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 11:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely redoing the sound system (amongst other things)

Hey all,

I've been cruising the forums here for a few weeks trying to piece together all the information I need as well as lots of googling, wiki'ing, etc. So in an effort to be more direct here's what I need help with.

I have a stock 2002 Camaro Z28. At present I have most of the interior taken out so I can start sound deadening, rewiring a few things, and replacing the stock sound system with something completely aftermarket (with carputer). Currently the only thing I have ordered are driver and passenger side stealth sub boxes from SubThump. Right now I'm trying to figure what brand of speakers to buy, as well as what sizes and such.

From the general Monsoon FAQ I know the speaker sizes, however some threads suggesting removing the hatch speakers and by the sounds of things 4 of the stock speakers (door sills + tweeters) are actually just 2 speakers. Because of the carputer (which will be relocatted in the rear as well as a secondary battery solely for the sound system and carputer), I'm assuming that I'll be removing most/all of the exisiting speaker wiring.

So if anyone has any suggestions for wiring (assuming there's a reason to go above and beyond generic 12 gauge), speaker brands and sizes, amps (figured one amp for 2 subs, second amp for everything else), and an external USB sound card (though MP3Car had a good listing of those I could research).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks everyone for your time.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:05 AM
Teching In

One other thing to emphasize, I'm after sound quality not deafness. Price range probably up to the 2k range, but I don't have a particular time or budget limit so it depends what comes up.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Teching In

I have totally redone my system in my camaro.....i had a friend install a clarion head unit, jl audio w7 12" sub, eclipse 6x9's in back seat area, focal mids and highs in doors a A pillar, 2 jl audio amps 1 300/4 and 1 500/1....alos added to tv's in the visors, and a nesa dvd player hiding under the passenger seat.....sound i awesome, have hit 135+ on a db machine.....nothing rattles......pics can be seen at photobucket.com search for eprazich5.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent. I put together these kinds of packages alll the time.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HU: Pioneer P800PRS or P880PRS (800 is a little better and a little more expensive)
Front speakers: Rainbow CS 220 X-plain Pro
Amp: Alpine PDX4.150
Sub: Fi Q12

Get tweeter pods and a sub box from Ian. Run 2 channels of the amp bridged to your sub and the other 2 to your fronts. Unhook all speakers but the fronts and the sub.