Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn Signal Flasher

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 02:39 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turn Signal Flasher

After searching for a while I've gathered that my turn signal flasher is most likely the cause of my solid blinker symptoms.

All bulbs work.I've check by blinking my hazards and they blink and work as they normally should,and my parking lamps/courtesy lights work good as well.The side of the car to which i'm signaling stays solid and does not blink.Happens to both sides and there does not appear to be any burned out bulbs.

So from here everything points to the turn signal flasher in my dash being the culprit.I have an idea on where to find it,but I wanted to ask if this is a pretty straight forward job...Will I have to solder anything or is the flasher pretty much just unplug old and plug the new one in? Is there a certain type of flasher that I'd need to buy (other then telling the parts guy the year/model of my car...like voltage,amperage,prongs or something?)

New to electricals so just wanted to make sure before I replace it.And if anyone knows of a write up,please share.Thanks.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:16 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Nothing special about the flasher - it's just a standard 2-prong flasher available from any parts store (or even Wal-Mart). Just unplug the old one and plug the new one in. I'm not sure of the location on a 94 but on newer models it's clipped to the back side of the panel just to the right of the opening when you remove the knee panel under the steering column.
The following users liked this post:
k3000 (03-06-2021)
Old 05-02-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Cool.Just got done with swapping a new one in.I accidentally purchased a thermal flasher which didn't work at first,exchanged it with an electronic one and it works great now.It is in the same location as the newer models.

Thanks.
k3000 (03-06-2021)
Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Freak
I accidentally purchased a thermal flasher which didn't work at first,exchanged it with an electronic one and it works great now.
The stock flasher is thermal. The new thermal one should have worked. Did replace any of the bulbs with LEDs? LEDs don't draw enough current to flip the thermal flasher. In that case, you need an electronic flasher. It you didn't replace any bulbs with LEDs then there is still something wrong in your car. Turn on the hazards and walk around looking for bulbs that aren't flashing (that are supposed to flash) or are flashing irregularly and investigate further.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:32 AM
On The Tree

That is weird...I haven't touched the light bulbs since I got the car a week ago.

As I said before the hazards were working fine and all the bulbs that should blink,blink fine with the hazards switched on.No burned out bulbs or irregular blinking either.The turn signal flasher that was acting up originally was also electronic.Maybe the previous owner had some work done to it.He wasn't into modding the car at all though.

The electronic one I put in seems to work great so far...blinks faster than the electronic one I replaced before it went out, but not irregularly fast like you see sometimes on some ricers.

Last edited by Formula Freak; 05-04-2008 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a similar problem. All my lights turn on as they should, but my right front signal won't blink anymore. It stays solid. Do both signals run on the same flasher? Or do they have their own?

I'm just wondering if I'll have to replace the socket or hopefully just a flasher.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Both side turn signals run off a single flasher. Try putting on your hazard flashers and then walking around the car checking for lights that don't flash. Replace the bulb that doesn't flash and your problem should be solved unless the socket is too corroded to work.
k3000 (03-06-2021)
Old 08-12-2008, 03:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply! It must be the socket then. The light just stays solid and doesn't blink.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:38 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Don't forget that it's a dual filament bulb and that one filament can burn out while the other still works. Also, a burned out tail light bulb will cause the same symptoms - it doesn't always have to be the front bulb. That's why I suggested using the hazards and walking around the car.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:40 PM
Teching In

Right right. They all flash except for that one. Both tail lights blink, and the left front blinks too. I also replaced the bulb in the problem light and it yielded the same problem.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Question

Could it be a turn-signal relay? Because there is a separate left and right turn-signal relays before the flasher, in the DRL module.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Could it be a turn-signal relay? Because there is a separate left and right turn-signal relays before the flasher, in the DRL module.
Yes, there are electronic relays in the DRL module which come after the flasher and turn signal switch. Unfortunately, the DRL module is not serviceable - if something goes wrong, the module must be replaced. Fortunately, it's easy to test. There are pairs of wires for each front turn signal - the dark blue pair is for the right side and the light blue pair is for the left side. In each pair, the wire with the white stripe is the input from the T/S switch and the plain wire is the output to the front lamp. Using a meter or test light, you can check for pulsing (flashing) power at both the input and output wires. If you get power at the input but not at the output then the DRL module should be replaced.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 PM

All my lights work hazards flash but my right rear turn signal will not work. Replaced the bulb same thing socket is clean nothing in it looks new. Whats the next part to check?
Old 12-30-2008, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

i have this same problem, where is it on 93's?
Old 03-30-2020, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIP1
The stock flasher is thermal. The new thermal one should have worked. Did replace any of the bulbs with LEDs? LEDs don't draw enough current to flip the thermal flasher. In that case, you need an electronic flasher. It you didn't replace any bulbs with LEDs then there is still something wrong in your car. Turn on the hazards and walk around looking for bulbs that aren't flashing (that are supposed to flash) or are flashing irregularly and investigate further.
When replacing the flasher, is it really that hard to pull out? I'm using all of my strength and I still cant get it to come loose. It's the factory one by the looks of it but it just will not budge...
Old 03-30-2020, 04:27 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Sometimes they can get quite stuck - especially since they are 20+ years old. Make sure the ignition is off then insert the tip of a screwdriver between the connector and the base of the flasher. You can usually pry enough to get it broken loose then you can remove it by hand.
Old 03-30-2020, 04:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Sometimes they can get quite stuck - especially since they are 20+ years old. Make sure the ignition is off then insert the tip of a screwdriver between the connector and the base of the flasher. You can usually pry enough to get it broken loose then you can remove it by hand.
Thanks!!! I had this idea but I wasn't sure if I'd be shocked or fry the whole system. I know about 0.10 about electricity. I got both of em out!
Old 03-30-2020, 05:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

I just pulled on mine. Took a little wiggle.
Old 03-31-2020, 12:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
I just pulled on mine. Took a little wiggle.
thats what she said.....
Old 03-31-2020, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to put in my $.02

The aftermarket flashers on my wifes trans am would never work correctly, they would always be too slow, or not work at all. After messing with 5 different part store flashers I just had to swap the hazard flasher into the turn signal flasher and they finally worked normally again.

So if you have problems with an aftermarket flasher in the turn signal on a trans am, put the stock hazard flasher into the turn signal flasher slot and the aftermarket one in the hazard slot

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Flasher