Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Help replacing speakers

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help replacing speakers

I have a 1994 Trans Am and it does NOT have the Monsoon system. I don't know the name of the system it came with stock but it does have the 10 speakers. Also the amp is behind the plastic sail panel by your feet in the back seat (passenger side). I found this out when I put down sound deadener. I don't know what system this is though?

The previous owner has some el cheapo Sony Xplods in the doors, stock speakers in back seat wired straight to the headunit, and the hatch speakers are completely disconnected. The headunit is a Kenwood EZ700SR that I put in. But all the stock wiring is there. I have been more and more interested in making my stereo system sound better since I'm pretty much done modding but don't want to add a sub. I'm wondering what would be the best way to wire everything up? As in what speakers do I need to use? I have heard the speakers in the backseat are midbass drivers then I hear that they put out full range sound so i don't know.

All i want to know is what speakers do i need to upgrade with and how should it be wired? To the stock amp or to the headunit?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 97 with the 10 speakers, but it is a Monsoon. Here's how mine is wired. The two front door mid-range speakers are 2ohm impedance and are each powered by one channel of the amp, i then have two dvc sail panel subs that are 4 ohm impedance, each powered by two channels of the amp. The rear hatch 4'' speakers are just fillers but they are both powered by one channel from the amp. The front door tweeters and hatch tweeters are powered by the aftermarket HU. I've been told it is perfectly fine to use all the stock wiring and the amp setup, you just have to make sure that you get something that fits. The sail panels in mine are only factory lows. Hope this helps. If you need more help, PM Whitebird00. He knows what he's talking about, he was the one who helped me out. I know Ian with KEE AUDIO is really good at getting you setup with good speakers, and many people use elemental design replacement 6.5'' subs for the sail panels.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Banned

Hi Pork! I know the stock Monsoon system has subs in the sail panels and there is bass only from that location with the stock Monsoon 97-02. Without the Monsoon it was my understanding that full range sound comes from that same location. On the convertable cars they actually have a very shallow mount coaxial mounted in close to that location. I'm pretty sure about this but I could be mistaken as there are a couple of different versions of Delco stereo systems not to mention the Bose systems that came in 4th gen F-bodies.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

So I have a Bose system? What would be the best way to replace all the speakers? Should I still put subs in the back seat? Should I leave it wired straight to the headunit or should I use the stock wires to the amp?
Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Launching!

What I did was replace the front two speakers and tweeters with a component set from Ian. Then I replaced the factory subs with the elemental designs. I left the back 4'' speakers and tweeters alone. I have my own aftermarket HU. My speakers use the original wiring and original amp. I assume the Bose setup is basically the same but I don't know.
Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Well see Ian told me that since I don't have the Monsoon that my speakers out out full range sound. So I don't know if there would be any advantage to putting a sub in the backseat?
Old 03-21-2008, 01:56 AM
Launching!

I guess you'll have to talk to him. My understanding is that the speakers only put out full range in all the speakers if it is the 4-speaker set up. I had a V-6 before my Trans Am that had this. But you said you had the 10 speaker setup so you are not going to have all ten speakers being full range. I'm almost certain that your sail panels are you low end range (subs). Is your system not currently working? Just asking because you can certainly listen to it to see if the sails are low range only, if it is working. I'm almost positive that the sails would be bass output only but make absolutely certain before you buy things.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:53 AM
Banned

There was a 10 speaker system that was not a Bose or Monsoon system. It was the precursor to the Monsoon but not the standard audio system either. It's the one you have Pork, with the amp in the area by the sail panel.
Whitebird is familiar with this system. He would be able to shed more light on whether it is also bass only from the sail panels like the Monsoon.
Gotta love all the different sound systems GM put in these cars with all the different configurations. So far I think there are 4 or 5 different ones between 93-02. 3 in the 93-96 cars and 2 in the 97-02. All in basically the same car.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:06 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The premium audio system used in Firebirds from 93-96 was a 10-speaker system very similar to the Monsoon that followed it. In fact, other than some minor differences like the location of the amp, you can treat it just like the 10-speaker Firebird Monsoon system. The sail panel speakers were mid-bass rather than subs but they still got the low-pass filtered signal from the amp like the Monsoon system.

When GM wanted to introduce a "name brand" system in the 97 models (like the Infinity systems in Chrysler products) they asked Monsoon to design it. The speaker layout of the 10-speaker system may not be the best but it makes good use of the cabin configuration and "10 speakers" was a good marketing tool so Monsoon just tuned the amp a little, added some more power, and changed the speaker designs to match the new tuning. The Camaro Monsoon system has only eight speakers merely to keep the Pontiac product a little more upscale to maintain distinction between the divisions (there's no other reason they couldn't have put the same 10-speaker setup in Camaros as well).
Old 03-21-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

So I need the mid bass subs for the backseat? Should it also be wired to the stock wiring for the best sound? Is it DVC or SVC?
Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

Ttt^^^
Old 05-11-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Addict

I am wondering the same. I have the 10 speaker system in my 96 and want to replace all the speakers in the car.

I already have Memphis Components in the front and was going to replace the sail panel and rear panels speakers with 6.5" and 4x6 memphis speakers. Then I have a Memphis 10 I am going to put in the rear hatch area.

Does this sound right or do I need to replace it with something else entirely? Also, how do I wire the speakers? Should I run an aftermarket amp?