Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

LT1 Alarm/ignition problems.. No vat chip!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 05:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question LT1 Alarm/ignition problems.. No vat chip!

I have a 1996 Camaro Z28, Vin: 2G1FP22P6T2101213. I purchased this car from a guy in Cleveland, OH in the summer of 2005. The vehicle does have the factory security system. When I bought the car I was aware that the 3 ignition keys given to me were all tru-value copies without the VAT chips in them.. however I was unaware that this car came factory with VAT chip keys.

So the vehicle starts fine using the keys without the vat chip. The problem that I have been dealing with is the factory alarm system. When locking the vehicle I have to either manually push the locks back or lock the doors from the outside using the door key. If I lock the doors by pressing the power door lock botton on the door panel or using the door lock button on my keyless entry fob, then close the door and wait 5 seconds, the horn goes off. The door unlock button and trunk button on the fob work perfectly. The panic button does nothing at all when pressed.

My question is simple.. What do you think happened to this cars ignition? What is wrong with the alarm? And is it possible that someone can run the VIN number for me?

Thanks for any help in solving my problem, Joe
Attached Thumbnails LT1 Alarm/ignition problems.. No vat chip!-img_0553.jpg   LT1 Alarm/ignition problems.. No vat chip!-keyless.jpg  
Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

The VATS system has nothing to do with the alarm system. VATS is the Vehicle Anti Theft System - it protects the car from being stolen by preventing starting with the wrong key. The alarm system is called the CTD system (Content Theft Deterrent). It is designed to prevent theft of the contents of a vehicle by sounding an alarm when a door is opened or the car is struck.

Besides, according to the manual, there was no factory alarm system (option code UA6) available in f-bodies until the 97 model. It sounds like you have the newer style remotes with a panic button that doesn't apply to your car. It also sounds like the previous owner did a VATS bypass (commonly used for remote starters or just to resolve problems with the VATS system).
Old 05-12-2008, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a 12v installer of 13 years. Heres what might have happened. The chips in those keys do wear out over time and no longer make contact in the cylinder thus preventing the car from starting. Some people get the chip by passed bi installing a resistor or the actual key in line on the passlock wire under the dash inorder to allow the car to start. This would explain how your car can start with those other keys that dont have the chip. Normaly the key in the ignition turns off the alarm but with out the chip this may not be possible. Its been a while since ive worke on one of those cars so thats about all i can tell you. Hope this helped!

Quick Reply: LT1 Alarm/ignition problems.. No vat chip!