Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What capacitor should i use to make a bass blocker?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 12:52 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What capacitor should i use to make a bass blocker?

i did some searches online and i came up short on what size(farad?) capacitor i need. could i just pick up one at a local electronics store?

its for the rodeo and the speaker sizes i can fit in the stock locations are limited. for the front i have 5.25" infinitys(lower models) installed (horrible) after just less than 7 months they have already lost their quality, and sound very poor so i ordered some kicker component 5.25"s yesterday from crutchfield. but the major problem is the rear speakers- you can only fit 4"(yeah 4") speakers in the stock locations. so i also replaced them with infinitys when i changed the front speakers. they have actually held up better but still have poor bass because of their sizes(i think), so i am looking to install a bass blocker in the rear for every thing under 150-200hz just to clean up the quality.

i have no subwoofers. just trying to make a clean/quality sounding setup for the dd that i can crank up here and there - for a resonable price

i am running the speakers throught the stock isuzu cd deck so they should be getting alot less wattage than peak

what do i need to buy? that i could get at a radioshack(closest electronics store in the area)

thank you
Old 06-17-2008, 02:38 PM
Rai
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nevermind. i think i found a chart that i can acutally understand now

Bass Blockers are not resistors. They are capacitors, non-polarized, to be specific. You need to ask for a non-polarized capacitor and you need the right value (measured in micro farads) for what you need to filter.

At 4-Ohms, a 200 micro farad cap will produce a 6dB/octave high pass filter at 200-Hz. Every time you half the value, you double the frequency:

200 mF = 200 Hz
100 mF = 400 Hz
50 mF = 800 Hz
25 mF = 1600 Hz
12 mF = 3300 Hz
6 mF = 6500

Source: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...4023455AAuWuXC

Quick Reply: What capacitor should i use to make a bass blocker?