Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double Din Bezel gone wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 12:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Double Din Bezel gone wrong

I bought my Kenwood Double Din Head unit, and decided to put it in my car today. I start trimming the stock bezel and it turns out completely wrong, theres to much space all around the head unit and doesnt look right. I guess im gonna have to buy a new bezel btw is there anyone who sells the double din bezels??
Old 07-01-2008, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

C5 Kidd.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I could sell you a used bezel, looks brand new.
Old 07-01-2008, 03:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its honestly NOT hard to make yourself. I bought a Kenwood DNX5120 and my homemade bezel came out PERFECT. All you need is a dremel with a bunch of metal cutting wheels. Buy a sheet of sheet metal or two incase you mess up, and some really thick cardboard (like the ones behind a picture frame.) Trace the original bezel on the carboard and cut it with a utility knife until it fits. Then do lots of measuring and tracing to make an outline on the sheet metal exactly as it is on the cardboard. Go to town on it with the dremel. I epoxied them together and it came out quite nice. I spray painted it flat black and it literally looks perfect... Ill try to get some pics up or possibly a write up if I have the time... good luck.

And its not worth nearly $200 for a piece you can make yourself in a day. I dont care how "stock" it looks, id rather spend my money elsewhere. Dont be afraid to do it yourself, youll be suprised how easy some things can be.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TireSm0ke
Its honestly NOT hard to make yourself. I bought a Kenwood DNX5120 and my homemade bezel came out PERFECT. All you need is a dremel with a bunch of metal cutting wheels. Buy a sheet of sheet metal or two incase you mess up, and some really thick cardboard (like the ones behind a picture frame.) Trace the original bezel on the carboard and cut it with a utility knife until it fits. Then do lots of measuring and tracing to make an outline on the sheet metal exactly as it is on the cardboard. Go to town on it with the dremel. I epoxied them together and it came out quite nice. I spray painted it flat black and it literally looks perfect... Ill try to get some pics up or possibly a write up if I have the time... good luck.

And its not worth nearly $200 for a piece you can make yourself in a day. I dont care how "stock" it looks, id rather spend my money elsewhere. Dont be afraid to do it yourself, youll be suprised how easy some things can be.
Yea, can you get some pics plz, thanks
Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vicinity
C5 Kidd.
I heard some bad things about that guy, didnt he start taking peoples money or something?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ReApEr75
I heard some bad things about that guy, didnt he start taking peoples money or something?
He's pretty much out of business as far as I know. His vendor status was removed on Corvette Forum.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 PM
Launching!

I picked up mine from C5Kidd and have no real complaints...it just took a month of waiting. Looks mint though.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Wasn't it possible to just use the stock bezel? I remember reading some thread where all you have to do is buy a new install kit from Metra, trim the plastic frame on top of where the receiver sits and a plastic brace in the back and it'll sit fine... or did I read something wrong??
Old 07-09-2008, 07:15 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001FireBird
Wasn't it possible to just use the stock bezel? I remember reading some thread where all you have to do is buy a new install kit from Metra, trim the plastic frame on top of where the receiver sits and a plastic brace in the back and it'll sit fine... or did I read something wrong??
Our cars come with 1.5 DIN head units (about 3" tall faceplate). Installing a double DIN (4" tall face) requires modifying the trim bezel to create the larger opening for the face. Also, GM radios are wider than standard DIN specs so the double DIN HU will show a gap on both sides of the stock bezel that should be filled to look right.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh ok, thanks for the info WhiteBird

Quick Reply: Double Din Bezel gone wrong