Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn signals stay solid...

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 10:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn signals stay solid...

I just finished washing my car, and I noticed that my turn signals all stay lit. *both sides, front, and back* I changed the fuse, and nothing. The emergency lights work fine, and so do the reverse lights. But what I did notice is that when I turn the left/right signal the front left/right signal dims, then turns solid. What may this be?
Old 07-15-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

its your flasher... very easy fix. part costs about 4 dollars and you can change it in 10 minutes.. its under the panel under your steering wheel. PM me or AIM me if u have questions... i went through this in november of last year.
Old 07-15-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
its your flasher... very easy fix. part costs about 4 dollars and you can change it in 10 minutes.. its under the panel under your steering wheel. PM me or AIM me if u have questions... i went through this in november of last year.
Not! He said the flashers still work so it's not the flasher. It's more than likey that you got water in your front blinker bulbs. Try replacing the front bulbs. This happens alot on these cars the light socket is old and brittle and leaks water especially when we wash our cars.

Doug
Old 07-15-2008, 11:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

so its not the flasher. what are the right blubs? i might aswell just buy two, and be done with it. so it might not be the socket, or housing? just the blubs itself? does that mean i won't have to worry about checking the rear taillight blubs?
Old 07-16-2008, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98catfish
Not! He said the flashers still work so it's not the flasher. It's more than likey that you got water in your front blinker bulbs. Try replacing the front bulbs. This happens alot on these cars the light socket is old and brittle and leaks water especially when we wash our cars.

Doug
Its possible it is the flasher, since there is a hazard flasher and a turn signal flasher. One is on the left if the steering column one is on the right. Remove the knee bolster to get to it. Of course, double check your bulbs first.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

ill buy both the bulbs and the flasher. but what side would the flasher be on if its for the turn signals? im guessing it would be on the left, and the emergency flasher on the right?

but yeah the emergency flashers work perfectly, but the left/right turn signal flashers stay solid on the dash, and the front/rear of vehicle.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not totally sure which side which is on, but once you get the panel off and locate the flasher units turn on your hazards then put your hand to one of the flashers, you'll feel the element inside, it will feel like a relay clicking. Obviously, replace the one that isn't clicking.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

its the sockets my car does it to there old and/or get wet cause the housing cracks.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I have to chuckle at the way everybody has a different opinion on the problem, everyone is sure they have the right answer, and yet nobody has done any diagnostics. The auto parts stores love people who throw parts at a problem without first determining the cause.

Do your daytime running lights (DRLs) both work? Do the front parking lights both work (same bulb, dimmer filament when the headlights are on)? If so then the problem is neither the bulbs nor the sockets. If the DRLs don't work then the problem is likely the bulbs and/or sockets...a visual inspection will tell you which.

If all the bulbs work and the hazard lights also work but neither side turn signal flashes then the most likely cause is the flasher. If the front bulbs go off when using the turn signals then it could be the DRL module or the T/S switch itself but you said that they stay on solid. The turn signal flasher is clipped to the back side of the dash panel just to the right of the opening when you remove the knee panel under the steering column. It is a standard 2-prong flasher available just about anywhere (including Wal-Mart).
Old 07-16-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1stunna
I just finished washing my car, and I noticed that my turn signals all stay lit. *both sides, front, and back* I changed the fuse, and nothing. The emergency lights work fine, and so do the reverse lights. But what I did notice is that when I turn the left/right signal the front left/right signal dims, then turns solid. What may this be?
Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
I have to chuckle at the way everybody has a different opinion on the problem, everyone is sure they have the right answer, and yet nobody has done any diagnostics. The auto parts stores love people who throw parts at a problem without first determining the cause.

Do your daytime running lights (DRLs) both work? Do the front parking lights both work (same bulb, dimmer filament when the headlights are on)? If so then the problem is neither the bulbs nor the sockets. If the DRLs don't work then the problem is likely the bulbs and/or sockets...a visual inspection will tell you which.

If all the bulbs work and the hazard lights also work but neither side turn signal flashes then the most likely cause is the flasher. If the front bulbs go off when using the turn signals then it could be the DRL module or the T/S switch itself but you said that they stay on solid. The turn signal flasher is clipped to the back side of the dash panel just to the right of the opening when you remove the knee panel under the steering column. It is a standard 2-prong flasher available just about anywhere (including Wal-Mart).

The very first sentence says it all. The chances that the flasher just went bad right after he washed his car are pretty slim.When you wash a fbody your turn signals get wet period.

Could it be the flasher? sure but not likely
Is it the bulbs? most likely!

If you replace the coils on your car and the car wont start do you first drop the tank and change the fuel pump?

To the op the rears are most likely fine.

Doug
Old 07-16-2008, 11:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Haha!!! Its not the bulbs, they look new, and Im positive it isnt the flasher. Its the sockets both of them. They look horrid, but now where can I find them...
Old 07-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 98catfish
The very first sentence says it all. The chances that the flasher just went bad right after he washed his car are pretty slim.When you wash a fbody your turn signals get wet period.

Could it be the flasher? sure but not likely
Is it the bulbs? most likely!
Haha!!! Its not the bulbs, they look new, and Im positive it isnt the flasher. Its the sockets both of them. They look horrid, but now where can I find them...
Great diagnostic skills!

According to the original post, the lights work - they just don't flash. If that is the case then it can't be the bulbs or the sockets. Let me see...lights go on...but since my signals don't flash the bulb MUST be burned out...even though I can see that it's on. Doh!
Old 07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well the bulbs look fine with no damage or anything. But there seems to some build up and heat damage to the whole bottom of the sockets.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Well the bulbs look fine with no damage or anything. But there seems to some build up and heat damage to the whole bottom of the sockets.
Oh, I'm not saying that your T/S sockets don't need replacing. I'm just saying that they are not the cause of this particular problem since your lights work. Our cars have a tendency to get water in the front lamp housing causing corrosion in the sockets. This corrosion causes the bulbs to not illuminate. Sometimes you can clean the sockets with contact cleaner and then use dielectric grease to prevent further corrosion. Other times the corrosion is bad enough that the only fix is to replace the sockets.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

So saying that it might not be the sockets? But since the bulbs do light cuz it just may be the bulbs then? Also I dont hear the flasher "clicking"...

Note: My sylvania turn signal bulbs pretty much look new.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I'm saying that since the bulbs light up, it's neither the bulbs nor the sockets causing the problem. If either the bulbs or the sockets were faulty then the bulbs wouldn't light up.

Now, bear in mind that the bulbs are dual-filament. They have a bright filament for DRLs and turn signals and a separate dim filament for parking lights. Either filament can burn out without affecting the other. So, it's possible to say the lights go on (with the parking lights or when the alarm arms) but still have burned out bulbs that won't illuminate for the DRLs or turn signals. But if the DRLs work then the problem can't be with the bulbs or sockets.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Now my DRL dont work, signals inside and out stay lit, and no clicking from the flasher relay...I think Im about to just take it to my mechanic. And have him deal with it.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Haha wow, my mechanic is a total douche. So anyways Im going to go buy the flasher later today, but I just cant seem to find it even if my life counted on it, I wouldnt be able to. If anyone can plus give me a step by step on where to find the turn signal flasher, how to remove it, and install a new one. I really need to get my car up and running as soon as I can. Thanks.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay...if your DRLs aren't working, that will cause the remaining turn signals (rear and inside) to go on solid and not flash. The flasher requires a certain amount of current flow to make and break the circuit (flash) and a non-functioning bulb will reduce the current flow enough to make it stop flashing. That brings us full circle back to the problem being the bulbs or the sockets. That also suggests that washing the car caused water to get into the lamp housings and either burn out the bulbs or damage the sockets. I suspect the bulbs because cold water will damage hot bulbs and socket corrosion takes time. This is different than the original diagnosis because you originally said the front lights still worked.

Since there's no easy way to test bulbs (other than plugging them into another socket) I suggest you get new bulbs, some contact cleaner, and some dielectric grease. Clean the sockets of as much junk as possible, smear in a liberal amount of dielectric grease, and install the new bulbs. That should take care of the problem for now. New sockets would extend the life but they will corrode as well if you don't fix the housings to keep water from settling in them.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Regular

Great diagnostic skills!

According to the original post, the lights work - they just don't flash. If that is the case then it can't be the bulbs or the sockets. Let me see...lights go on...but since my signals don't flash the bulb MUST be burned out...even though I can see that it's on. Doh!
Okay...if your DRLs aren't working, that will cause the remaining turn signals (rear and inside) to go on solid and not flash. The flasher requires a certain amount of current flow to make and break the circuit (flash) and a non-functioning bulb will reduce the current flow enough to make it stop flashing. That brings us full circle back to the problem being the bulbs or the sockets. That also suggests that washing the car caused water to get into the lamp housings and either burn out the bulbs or damage the sockets. I suspect the bulbs because cold water will damage hot bulbs and socket corrosion takes time. This is different than the original diagnosis because you originally said the front lights still worked.

Since there's no easy way to test bulbs (other than plugging them into another socket) I suggest you get new bulbs, some contact cleaner, and some dielectric grease. Clean the sockets of as much junk as possible, smear in a liberal amount of dielectric grease, and install the new bulbs. That should take care of the problem for now. New sockets would extend the life but they will corrode as well if you don't fix the housings to keep water from settling in them.
Wow, Was I right? Hmmmm!

Quick Reply: Turn signals stay solid...