Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Car dying while driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car dying while driving

I've been trying to fix a friend's 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue (3.5). The car would die while driving. I changed out the alternator, and the car seemed to run fine for a couple of days of light driving.

The next day, she was going over some speed bumps and the car died again shortly after. I'm quite dense about electrical stuff, but I'm assuming we didn't get a bad starter from the parts house.

Is there anything other than the starter that would draw enough power to kill the battery while driving? My first hunch is a wire between the battery and starter is shorting out somewhere. I'm tearing into the car this weekend, so I'd love to heard any ideas that you guys may have.

Thanks a lot, guys.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:14 AM
Teching In

Bad Battery?
Old 08-01-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

I've changed the battery.

I'm beginning to think I may have just gotten a bad alternator from Autozone. I'm going to pick up an alternator tester and a better multimeter and I'll post back what I find.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be that I was getting a bad connection somewhere underneath the fuse box. I removed all fuses and relays and sprayed the fuses box with some electrical cleaner I got from Autozone and waited for it to dry. I had a lot of dirt built up not allowing for a good connection on some fuses and relays. Good luck.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to clarify, a starter will not kill the car while driving as it has nothing to do with the electrical system after it starts the car. Your alternator would have been my first guess and still may be the culptrit. Take it to autozone or any place that offers a free alternator diagnostic check. They can test how much the alternator is charging while it is still in the car or they also have a bench testor if it is already out of the car. This would help you determine if it is still working. Many rebuilt alternators are not worth a damn and end up crapping out after a few days.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

KEE, thanks for the clarification.

I changed the alternator again, and it runs fine, but the battery light comes on intermittently. This makes me think it's going to do the same thing as the one before it, work for a day or two and then quit. I picked up a B&D battery charger/tester from Wal-Mart, which supposedly has an alternator check on it. It says that the alternator voltage is bad, but I don't know how accurate a $100 machine from Wal-Mart is.

Do you guys just think I'm getting bad alternators? Is there anything that could be killing the alternators like that?