Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon Problem and Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon Problem and Upgrade

On my '97 WS6 I replaced all of my speakers and my CD head unit from a 2002 TA. I also installed an alt input from PAC so I could hook up my MP3 player. All is well (sound is only so so) but when I turn the volume up the sound cuts out for a minute or so. If I keep turning the volume up it eventually comes back.

Is this the Amp cutting out? From what I have read here it is not so easy to replace the Monsoon Amp with a better one. So I guess my only choice here is to replace the AMP with the same thing. Am I on the right track?

I also want to improve the sound. I guess it is time to ditch the 12 CD changer, that seems so old tech now. So here is my plan:

JVC DVD MP3 head uint. A 4 gig MP3 disc is nice.
IPOD controller for the JVC.
Sterring wheel adapter - This one is sticky. Any way to keep the steering wheel controls both for the radio and the Ipod? I know ther are PAC adapter for one or the other but has anyone accomplished both? I have this setup in my BMW 335i and I love it. (but I like driving the TransAm better)

Maybe later I will add a sub. That seems pretty straightforward with its own amp. The high quality Pioneer mid subs in the sail panels sound good but a 10" sub would sound better I imagine. And if I ditch the changer I will have the room.

Thanks for helping.