Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Door speakers ratteling!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Door speakers ratteling!

My damn door speakers rattle whenever ANY bass at all comes through them. Normally Im pretty happy with the stock stereo(prefer listening to the sewing machine under my hood), it works for me, but this is starting to seriously **** me off! Any quick fixes?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:26 AM
Launching!

ditch them and upgrade. as well as use dynomat/fatmat. thats what im in the middle of doing right now.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would Im just not in the market to get new speakers, to much coin to to many other projects!
So they are just crap speakers? I never had the problem before I switched door panels.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn.... turn the volume down!!!!!!!!!! j/k.

but..... they are crap. I shot both of them out with the stock head unit
Old 08-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The stock speakers don't sound bad when they're working but they're made from cheap materials so they don't last very well. Your cheapest and easiest option would be to buy some stock speakers in the For Sale section here. Lots of members put in upgraded systems and have stock speakers in fair to good condition for sale cheap. Remember - Firebird and Camaro speakers are different so make sure you get the right ones.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by ZMONSTER!
I would Im just not in the market to get new speakers, to much coin to to many other projects!
So they are just crap speakers? I never had the problem before I switched door panels.
Your speakers are probably torn up. If you press lightly on the cone with your finger, <with the stereo off> you will probably find a tear in the cone or the suspension. (The part that holds the paper cone to the metal frame.) This tear is probably what is causing the rattle you are hearing.

You may be able to patch the tear with a very small piece of tape for now, but that will greatly degrade the sound quality.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Actually... depending on where the tear is, tape may not even work at all or may last about 5 seconds. Bottom line, if there is a tear in the speaker, its done for.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The stock speakers don't sound bad when they're working but they're made from cheap materials so they don't last very well. Your cheapest and easiest option would be to buy some stock speakers in the For Sale section here. Lots of members put in upgraded systems and have stock speakers in fair to good condition for sale cheap. Remember - Firebird and Camaro speakers are different so make sure you get the right ones.
the camaros sail panel speakers are made of tough material looks like the aftermarket type material, the rears are of paper material and the fronts i can't recall but i think they were of paper

i noticed when replacing my window motor, that the bar inside the door had little movement and im sure they rattle when bass is turned up, dynamat stuff would be great there
Old 08-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The sail panel subs are made of the same paper cones as all the other Delco speakers in the car. They also share the same cheap foam surrounds. I have several laying around from other vehicles I've had to remove. The first part that goes on them almost always seems to be the surround on them. I've had vehicles with very low miles on them still had the foam deteriorate from around the cone to the point where the only thing that was left was the cone. Here's a couple examples (Camaro and Firebird doors speakers) example:

There was a failed attempt to keep the cone attached to the foam on the Firebird speaker by the owner. The foam simply deteriorated.
The other problem is that the plactic mount also has foam sandwiched between the plastic mount and is screwed to the doors which are a fiberglass like material. That foam also deteriorates significantly which then allows the plastic to come in direct contact with the door. This also allows for vibration since there is no longer anything to deaden it.