Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Component System Crossovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Component System Crossovers

When I bought my car the door speakers didn't work, so the other day I decided to investigate.

Apparently the previous owner had installed an Alpine Type-R SPR-17S component system. He did a real half *** job with it. He had the wiring wrong, routed weird ways inside the door, and had the wiring and crossovers in the way of the window glass.

The crossovers terminals are all corroded and almost look like they melted. They also have pieces rattling around on the inside.

I took out all that crap and just hooked up the 6 1/2 inch speakers, leaving the tweeter in there. I tested the tweeter and it will work if I have a way to hook it up. It sounds 100 times better as it is now, but I would really like to have the tweeters hooked up too.

Now my question is, can I just buy 2 crossovers? Everywhere I look you have to get the whole component system, but I obviously don’t need everything that it comes with.

Maybe Kee has something like that?

Last edited by schuby87; 08-20-2008 at 06:23 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You might be able to find some stock cross-overs. Most guys just use the stock cross-overs with the new components. So if you can find someone who used the aftermarket ones and isn't using the stockers I think you'd be good to go.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Check around in the door for the factory wiring. It had separate wires for the woofers and tweeters with a high pass filter in the tweeter wires. The tweeters were powered off the head unit (not from the Monsoon amp) so those wires should still work even if the factory amp has been bypassed - depending on how badly the head unit wiring was butchered.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Check around in the door for the factory wiring. It had separate wires for the woofers and tweeters with a high pass filter in the tweeter wires. The tweeters were powered off the head unit (not from the Monsoon amp) so those wires should still work even if the factory amp has been bypassed - depending on how badly the head unit wiring was butchered.
My car didn't come with the monsoon system. From what I can remember there were blue & beige wires going into a harness and black & red coming out on the driver door, and green & orange wires to the harness and black & red coming out on the passenger door. He had the black & red wires going to the crossover. Both the speaker and the tweeter had aftermarket speaker wire connected.

I dont remember seeing any other wires around in there. Any idea what color or in what area they should be?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:24 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by schuby87
My car didn't come with the monsoon system. From what I can remember there were blue & beige wires going into a harness and black & red coming out on the driver door, and green & orange wires to the harness and black & red coming out on the passenger door. He had the black & red wires going to the crossover. Both the speaker and the tweeter had aftermarket speaker wire connected.

I dont remember seeing any other wires around in there. Any idea what color or in what area they should be?
Sorry, without the Monsoon system, you wouldn't have separate tweeters (or the extra wires for them). You can buy crossovers separately but they are generally expensive. You could also get simple high-pass filters for about $10 each and use them to patch the tweeters into the existing speaker wires. Kee Audio should be able to help you get what you need or Crutchfield carries some high-pass filters.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Teching In

Or you can make your own, if you have access to good capacitors and good inductors. http://www.lalena.com/Audio/FAQ/XOver/
It isn't all that hard if you can do easy math, and can solder.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some inexpensive crossovers that would work for you. I also have some standard type capacitor bass blockers that filter out the low and mid frequencies. Basically the same thing that's in a coaxial speaker. I've used those when my stock crossover fried for some reason. Those are really inexpensive...of if you go to radio shack you can pick some up cheap. Just put them inline with the positive wire. If you need a crossvoer though I have them as well.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Banned

the crossovers for that alpine system are about 28.00 each plus shipping.

if your intrested let me know.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:26 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I have some inexpensive crossovers that would work for you. I also have some standard type capacitor bass blockers that filter out the low and mid frequencies. Basically the same thing that's in a coaxial speaker. I've used those when my stock crossover fried for some reason. Those are really inexpensive...of if you go to radio shack you can pick some up cheap. Just put them inline with the positive wire. If you need a crossvoer though I have them as well.

If I use the inline bass blocker, how would I hook it up? Does it matter if the tweeter is wired in series or parallel? I would want the impedance to be the same as the Type-R system. Does the crossover change the impedance with the 6 1/2 and tweeter hooked up? I know that the Type-R system has an impedance of 4 ohm, but I couldn't find anything about each individual component.

It might be easier to use a crossover. Could you pleas PM me some info on the inexpensive crossovers you have?