Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Headunit Install Writeup?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Headunit Install Writeup?

I'm getting ready to install my new headunit (JVC KD-AVX44). Are there any writeups with pictures on how to do this installation? Or do you just use the wiring diagram in the sticky, cut off the old plug, and splice the wires?

Also, how do you bypass the reverse lockout for DVD function? I doubt I will ever use this, but I wouldn't mind a passenger being able to watch while driving.

Thanks!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:50 AM

get a wiring harness for your head unit... that goes to your factory wiring harness and for he bypass... some cd players like alpine actually have a module that you splice into the wiring harness of the headunit and it will do the sequence for you so that you can drive and watch at the same time. and you dont have to do the sequence
Old 09-08-2008, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the wiring harness from Kee Audio. It has the fitting that goes into the new headunit and then all the wires are loose (need spliced). I guess I don't know what you mean by "that goes to your factor wiring harness". Can you explain?
Old 09-08-2008, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

the new head unit will have a wiring harness, connector on one end that plugs into the back of the head unit and bare wires at the other end
the wiring harness you go from KeeAudio should have a connector on one end that plugs into the factory wiring harness connector and the other end should have bare wires
splice the bare wires of the two connectors together
now you have a wiring harness with two connectors (one for the head unit and one for the factory harness)
connect one end to the head unit and when you install the head unit connect the other end to the factory connector.
This makes installation a lot easier because you don't have to splice wires while inside the car, you can do all the splicing on a workbench or kitchen table.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:25 AM
Launching!

+1000000 on not cutting the factory harness.

Please think of the people that might have to deal with that mess later on.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help. I realized last night that I didn't see one of the harnesses in the box and I felt like an idiot.

One more question though (besides the reverse lockout bypass if you can help with that):
The Kee Audio harness has an extra orange and an extra blue wire that do not match the JVC harness. All other wires on the JVC harness, except Tel Muting (brown), Remote Out (blue with plug on end), and Power Antenna (blue with plug on end), and reverse lockout (light green) have a match on the Kee Audio harness. Any idea on what the extra orange and blue wires should go to? I thought orange was supposed to be battery power...it's just that there is not an orange wire to connect it to on the JVC harness.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:56 AM

the extra orange wire i think is just an auto dimmer and the blue wire is to like a power antenna i think... if they dont hook up to the harness that goes to your car.. you really dont need to use them.. just find the module that will splice into your radio harness to do the sequence for you... there will be instructions on where to splice that if your radio can support it and if they make a module for it
Old 09-08-2008, 09:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

That JVC unit uses industry standard wire colors for its connections. Here is a list of what each wire does:

Black - ground
Yellow - battery (constant) power
Red - ignition switched power
Blue - power antenna control
Blue with white - remote turn-on for external amp
Orange with white - illumination control (controlled by dash lights)
Brown - external muting (seldom used these days)
Light green - parking brake

Speaker connections:
(pairs of wires with same basic color - plain wire is positive, black stripe wire is negative)
White - left front
Gray - right front
Green - left rear
Purple - right rear

Although not part of the standard, most manufacturers (including JVC) use purple with white for the reverse signal (not a lockout - it's used for backup camera activation).

All you have to do is match the wire colors on the JVC harness to the wires on the adapter harness. For example, you'll find that the JVC orange with white wire matches to the orange with white wire in the adapter harness to provide dimming of the display when your lights are on. In the case of the blue wire, your car already has a power antenna lead in the harness so you should cut off the connector provided by JVC and just connect it to the blue wire in the harness adapter.

Watching video while driving (doesn't matter if it's you or a passenger as long as it's in view of the driver) is both illegal and very stupid. Any posts describing methods of bypassing the safety interlock will be deleted. Please don't ask again.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That JVC unit uses industry standard wire colors for its connections. Here is a list of what each wire does:

Black - ground
Yellow - battery (constant) power
Red - ignition switched power
Blue - power antenna control
Blue with white - remote turn-on for external amp
Orange with white - illumination control (controlled by dash lights)
Brown - external muting (seldom used these days)
Light green - parking brake

Speaker connections:
(pairs of wires with same basic color - plain wire is positive, black stripe wire is negative)
White - left front
Gray - right front
Green - left rear
Purple - right rear

Although not part of the standard, most manufacturers (including JVC) use purple with white for the reverse signal (not a lockout - it's used for backup camera activation).

All you have to do is match the wire colors on the JVC harness to the wires on the adapter harness. For example, you'll find that the JVC orange with white wire matches to the orange with white wire in the adapter harness to provide dimming of the display when your lights are on. In the case of the blue wire, your car already has a power antenna lead in the harness so you should cut off the connector provided by JVC and just connect it to the blue wire in the harness adapter.

Watching video while driving (doesn't matter if it's you or a passenger as long as it's in view of the driver) is both illegal and very stupid. Any posts describing methods of bypassing the safety interlock will be deleted. Please don't ask again.
Thanks for the help, but there is still an extra orange wire. I'll cut off the connector on the blue wire and connect it to the spare blue wire, but there is no wire there to connect the SOLID orange wire (there is another orange/white that I already knew where to connect). Where should the orange wire connect?
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

I've looked at the JVC manual and there is no solid orange wire listed so I assume you mean there's an extra solid orange wire in the harness adapter.

Both orange wires are for illumination control but they work a little differently. The orange with white wire is for a variable dimmer control - it dims the display in proportion to the dash lights. The solid orange wire is for a simple on/off dimmer - it dims the display to a set level whenever the dash lights are on regardless of how bright or dim you have the dash dimmer set.

Most aftermarket head units have one wire or the other - not both. The factory harness has both wires so the adapter harness gives you the option to use whichever one goes best with your head unit. Just tape up the unused one and leave it unconnected. In this case, connect the orange with white wire and tape up the solid orange wire (it has power when the lights are on so make sure it can't short out).
Old 09-08-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks!