Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Audio Nuts: Where do you draw the line at sub size?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Audio Nuts: Where do you draw the line at sub size?

I know a lot of people love bass. Maybe you don't understand, they... LOVE bass. People drop $10k on a sub. Yeah, I said "a" sub.

What do you consider to be just enough bass, or something that's good, but packs when you need it?

Example, two 10" Rockford P3s for me, would be more than enough, but one 12" Rockford T2 can handle just enough, but if I need the extra "oophf", it's definitely there.

So basically, I'd be set with a single 12". It really bothers me when people have 3 15" subs in their car's. I know it's their vehicle... but I mean, really...
Old 09-13-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its never enough you could always use more

4 15s would do me over pretty good though
Old 09-13-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Talking

Whatever your drug of choice is, sooner or later you're going to want more!

IMO, two 15s in a large ported rear seat enclosure tuned to around 30hz would probably be my limit.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:20 PM
11 Second Club

I had two 12's, then two 10's, now I have one 10 in a Stealthbox from JL Audio. It sounds almost as good as my two Type R's in a big box and I lost no T top storage. As time went along I just wanted cleaner, tighter bass. Maybe I'm getting old lol.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Teching In

SQ guy myself (its what i do for a living)

Typically 2 10"s are what i run but 2 8"s or a single 10" or even a single 8" set up perfectly is ideal for what i look for in a system.

For example my Cobra that went to a new home thursday had 2 Kicker CVX 10" Subs with a 1000.1 on em...gain set real low. Kicker SS 6.5" Components on a 550.2 up front...i need the thump of the 2 10"s to keep up with my high and mid-range.

I like my system to accurately reproduce music the way itys supposed to sound...having to much in the sub-sonic range that thats all that you here is far from ideal.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bad93snake
SQ guy myself (its what i do for a living)

Typically 2 10"s are what i run but 2 8"s or a single 10" or even a single 8" set up perfectly is ideal for what i look for in a system.

For example my Cobra that went to a new home thursday had 2 Kicker CVX 10" Subs with a 1000.1 on em...gain set real low. Kicker SS 6.5" Components on a 550.2 up front...i need the thump of the 2 10"s to keep up with my high and mid-range.

I like my system to accurately reproduce music the way itys supposed to sound...having to much in the sub-sonic range that thats all that you here is far from ideal.
I will Strongly Disagree. A proper SQ system will reproduce All frequency in a Proper manner. And To produce a Good SQ System Requires more then Kicker products.

To me its 15's or bust. the biggest thing is Your enclosure that will make or break your system. I can make a 15 Boom or be Sq.

Look up Speakerworks USD. All there cars had 15's and everyone was an award winner, I think noone has taken as many awards as they have. Richard clark Still has the GN.

Also, it depends on How loud my customer wants it.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Kee Audio has an MTX Jackhammer super sub thats 22", yes 22 inches the same size of some of these peoples hugeass wheels. And for a low low price of 6,899.00. Ok now whoe wants to get it?
Oh and it has an RMS rating of 6000 watts
Old 09-13-2008, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dragwheelz.com
I will Strongly Disagree. A proper SQ system will reproduce All frequency in a Proper manner. And To produce a Good SQ System Requires more then Kicker products.

To me its 15's or bust. the biggest thing is Your enclosure that will make or break your system. I can make a 15 Boom or be Sq.

Look up Speakerworks USD. All there cars had 15's and everyone was an award winner, I think noone has taken as many awards as they have. Richard clark Still has the GN.

Disagree, 15's are to sloopy and boomy. There is a reason you rarely see a 15 in a winning IASCA sound quality car. You don't need a 15 to get big, good bass. I think that was the other guys point. 15's are good if you wanna drive around blasting bass CD's.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:23 PM
Banned

I disagree. Like i stated before. Your opinion is that they are Boomy and Sloppy. If you heard a 15 in the proper enclosre, and setup correctly, I think you would understand what i am talking about.

here is a car that has 15's
http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/
and another
http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/acura/

there are many more that ran 15's as well.

every recording studio i have ever been in has had 15's minimum. some had 18's.

It all depends on how low you wanna go on freq.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

I disagree with you. Even with a proper enclosure a 15" speaker is going to be less effective at reproducing frequencies higher than 50hz than a 10 or 12" woofer, Brands set aside.

I personally use kicker products myself, and I can tell you that kicker makes some great products for intermediate to expert level audiophiles.

I think its great that Kicker can push great products like their sx series digital amplifiers. These amps allow advanced users to use a built in control to electronicaly change everything from phase correction to time alignment, low pass AND high pass filters, all within the same channels.

Im not saying their arent niche brands that ONLY serve high end customers like Mccintosch or denon, but for the price Kicker makes some great products.

Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 PM
11 Second Club

I disagree. Like i stated before. Your opinion is that they are Boomy and Sloppy. If you heard a 15 in the proper enclosre, and setup correctly, I think you would understand what i am talking about.

here is a car that has 15's
http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/buick/
and another
http://www.usdaudio.com/sw/cars/acura/

there are many more that ran 15's as well.

every recording studio i have ever been in has had 15's minimum. some had 18's.

I've heard hunderds. I've been to CES, SEMA, and the Spring Break Nationals.
I'm a graphic designer for the largest kit/harness maker and car audio distrubutor in the country. I have some of the best engineers and installers in the world in same building.

Except for a few, 15's are sloppy and boomy. Anyone who wants SQ isn't gonna do anything but a 10, or even an 8. Maybe, maybe a 12.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Probably a personal preference, but 15's in a car are just too big. Doesn't look right, especially when they're visible in the cabin.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Banned

Everyone has a Different Opinion. Just like Enclosures, Ported and Sealed, Just like tweeters, Horns, Silk, titanium, and so forth. Each person is different on what they like.

I sell kicker, But will not use there hi's nor there amps, I can get them, but i was never satisfied with what they claimed they can do, and what they did.

It comes down to what you Like, and what i like, 2 different things.

To me 2 15" in the proper enclosure is what makes me happy, It's not sloppy or boomy to me, It hits Low and plays loud when it needs to.
Old 09-14-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was running 2 12" Orion Hcca's. If I ever get my car done, I plan to run 2 15.2 hcca's instead of the twelves. I like ported boxes as well. I just like stop your heart bass since I was kid. If you know how to tune you can get it to sound however YOU like it. I think everyone has a different sound they hear. In the end, 15's just give me that warm fuzzy feeling...
Old 09-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ultraz
I disagree with you. Even with a proper enclosure a 15" speaker is going to be less effective at reproducing frequencies higher than 50hz than a 10 or 12" woofer, Brands set aside.

I personally use kicker products myself, and I can tell you that kicker makes some great products for intermediate to expert level audiophiles.
If you are playing your subs above 50hz you DON'T have an SQ system, not even close. I don't even like mine with a -3dB at 40hz, but regrettably I don't have enough room up front for more potent midbasses so they will stay crossed there.

Oh and the size of the sub has NOTHING to do with it being boomy, that is all in the box and the quality of the driver. You can easily use an 18" sub in an SQ install. If someone says differently, then they don't have any idea on really what works.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got 2 10" RE SE 2008 model and i love the SQ or SPL when i want it.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:11 AM
Teching In

I'll stick by my guns...I agree that to properly execute a SQ level reproduction of music you need more than Kicker products. Unfortunately thats my biggest brand so its what I run to allow people to see what you can do with their products. If I had my way I'd run all Focal to be honest (easiest to make sound great with minimal work).

I disagree with you about the 15"s...look up any IASCA car, talk to a competitor, see what they run while playing the system in competition. Almost 100% are gonna tell you a single 8" or 10" USUALLY up front (and very low gain sets at that). Just because they have 2 15"s in the truck DOES NOT mean they play em in competion!

I think your Speakerworks reference is a little out dated...look up Gary Biggs, you can learn all you ever need to about SQ from that man. He worked in-state till a few years ago. And OH, he also has a Buick Regal...and has won a few more awards that Speakersworks.

Anywho...just my 2 cents. All comes down to personal preferance. But I'd love to hear a 15" with the response and range of some of our 2 10" or 8"s set-ups.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:01 AM
Teching In

I'll stick by my guns...I agree that to properly execute a SQ level reproduction of music you need more than Kicker products. Unfortunately thats my biggest brand so its what I run to allow people to see what you can do with their products. If I had my way I'd run all Focal to be honest (easiest to make sound great with minimal work).

I disagree with you about the 15"s...look up any IASCA car, talk to a competitor, see what they run while playing the system in competition. Almost 100% are gonna tell you a single 8" or 10" USUALLY up front (and very low gain sets at that). Just because they have 2 15"s in the truck DOES NOT mean they play em in competion!

I think your Speakerworks reference is a little out dated...look up Gary Biggs, you can learn all you ever need to about SQ from that man. He worked in-state till a few years ago. And OH, he also has a Buick Regal...and has won a few more awards that Speakersworks.

Anywho...just my 2 cents. All comes down to personal preferance. But I'd love to hear a 15" with the response and range of some of our 2 10" or 8"s set-ups.
Focal's make my ears bleed and tons of competitors use 15's. I'd also like to see a placed competitor using a single 8" up front. Most of the ones competing have larger midbasses than that and they always run them in stereo pairs.

Tons of 15's can put up. What 8 or 10's are you referring to that you think can do better?
Old 09-15-2008, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Seanh
Focal's make my ears bleed and tons of competitors use 15's. I'd also like to see a placed competitor using a single 8" up front. Most of the ones competing have larger midbasses than that and they always run them in stereo pairs.

Tons of 15's can put up. What 8 or 10's are you referring to that you think can do better?
Focals make your ears bleed huh?...What have you been listening to?

You'd be surprised what IASCA competitors are running, VERY simple set-ups. Are there a lot of smoke and mirrors bullshit, yes but 9 times out of 10 if you've listened to a SQ car your're hearing a simple 2 channel set-up with a single 10" or smaller subwoofer.

Now its true some run a 3-way set-up which I think is what you're refering to in your comment about midbass's but you'd be surprised how many aren't. And most of your midbasses are 6.5"-8".

Tons of 15"s can put up...true. But put up what? Your comments earlier in the thread about using a 18" sub in a SQ set-up seems a little strange to me...show me a 2 door or hell even a 4 door CAR that an 18" sub has enough space for the wave length to mature, or for that matter a 15".

And to second my comments earlier in the thread I though I'd post this and let a few people learn what an SQ car is.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/...dio/index.html

This is the Buick Regal which belonged to Gary up till about a year ago, since the sale it has won IASCA again (with the same set-up)vbringing the total to 8 world championships. And just so you understand he does have 2 15"s in the trunk BUT when competing SQ only the single 10" in the firewall plays.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Focals make your ears bleed huh?...What have you been listening to?

You'd be surprised what IASCA competitors are running, VERY simple set-ups. Are there a lot of smoke and mirrors bullshit, yes but 9 times out of 10 if you've listened to a SQ car your're hearing a simple 2 channel set-up with a single 10" or smaller subwoofer.

Now its true some run a 3-way set-up which I think is what you're refering to in your comment about midbass's but you'd be surprised how many aren't. And most of your midbasses are 6.5"-8".

Tons of 15"s can put up...true. But put up what? Your comments earlier in the thread about using a 18" sub in a SQ set-up seems a little strange to me...show me a 2 door or hell even a 4 door CAR that an 18" sub has enough space for the wave length to mature, or for that matter a 15".

And to second my comments earlier in the thread I though I'd post this and let a few people learn what an SQ car is.

http://www.caraudiomag.com/features/...dio/index.html

This is the Buick Regal which belonged to Gary up till about a year ago, since the sale it has won IASCA again (with the same set-up)vbringing the total to 8 world championships. And just so you understand he does have 2 15"s in the trunk BUT when competing SQ only the single 10" in the firewall plays.
Others brought up the sizes I just commented. It is an old wives tale that an 18 is slow and an 8 is fast, it has nothing to do with size, of course other than the required enclosure.

Of course your example is rather extreme. Up front bass solves a hell of a lot of issues, but either way it isn't necessary to have great sound. I've heard a lot of sq setups and a ton of home audio gear and yes the Focal's make my ears bleed. The top end on pretty much 9 out of 10 tweeters that they have ever built is enough to rip my head off. I am a silk guy, although I do have a few different metal drivers I can handle they are the exception and not the rule.

I think you missed my point entirely, perhaps since I didn't elaborate but nonetheless basically I was saying size doesn't mean crap in a sub setup installation and driver choice does (although I'd put 90% of it on installation). On top of that I think you are a bit confused about who runs a 3 way and who doesn't, the majority do. Simple reason really, in particular in a car where there are a ton of reflective surfaces having a single driver play as much of the audible spectrum is a huge benefit. You can't do this with a two way although for the general user I will never argue with the KISS principle. Smoke and mirrors aren't necessary in SQ, not even close.

Oh one other thing, this really made me lol.
"show me a 2 door or hell even a 4 door CAR that an 18" sub has enough space for the wave length to mature, or for that matter a 15"."
Wave length to mature? Perhaps you'd like to tell me how a 10" sub has a different wavelength for the same frequency as an 18" sub.