Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

body control module

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body control module

01 WS6... I turned my key to start position, nothing happened. I pulled the key out and my gauges all flipped up once and my right headlight came up but immediately went back down. Thier was also a clicking noise coming from what I later found out to be the bcm. I thought it was just the pass key but I measured the same resistance from my key and the plug under the steering column. Horn, lights, windows, door locks, heater, and trunk button all inop. I have been searching different forums all week and all I have found points to the bcm. If i do need to replace it can someone tell me a cheaper way of getting one and having it reprogrammed. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by birdman7601
01 WS6... I turned my key to start position, nothing happened. I pulled the key out and my gauges all flipped up once and my right headlight came up but immediately went back down. Thier was also a clicking noise coming from what I later found out to be the bcm. I thought it was just the pass key but I measured the same resistance from my key and the plug under the steering column. Horn, lights, windows, door locks, heater, and trunk button all inop. I have been searching different forums all week and all I have found points to the bcm. If i do need to replace it can someone tell me a cheaper way of getting one and having it reprogrammed. Thanks!
Not all of those functions are controlled by the BCM. The courtesy lights are but none of the other lights depend on the BCM. The horn notification for the alarm is BCM controlled but the horn should work normally otherwise. The heater-A/C is not related to the BCM in any way.

A used BCM can not be reprogrammed. A new BCM programs itself automatically to the first ignition key used after installation and that programming is then permanently stored. You could install a used BCM and do a VATS bypass with each of the 15 possible resistor values until you find the one that the used BCM recognizes.

Have you checked your fuses? The BCM gets power through the COURTESY fuse.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Teching In

Yes i have checked my fuses and relays. What do you think I should do. Im thinking of going to the salvage yard, picking up a used bcm, then hitting up radio shack for some resistors.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Let's start by identifying the problem rather than throwing parts at it. What exactly isn't working? When you say lights...which lights - courtesy, dash, parking lights, headlights, signals, DRLs? When you say the horn isn't working does that mean even if you press the steering wheel horn button? What about the heater - does the fan work? How about the A/C compressor?

Many of these items have nothing to do with the BCM.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Teching In

I know, but im just frustrated. You turn the key to the run position (any position actually) and nothing works except the door chimmer. When you press the door locks or window button the chime beeps twice in the time it would usually beep once. U then take the key out of the ignition and the bcm starts clicking for how ever many seconds the key was in the ignition. Also the right headlight motor clicks constantly but wont pop up. The blower motor should turn on but doesnt. The trunk hatch doesnt work and the keyless entry did the first few days but stopped, and I checked my battery and it still has the proper volts. I have checked all fuses and relays as well as double checking the pass key. I also checked the grounds on the bcm and the have less than .25 volts which I have read if theres more than theres a problem. Thanks for interest I really appreciate it.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Okay, I'll have a look at some schematics to see if those systems have anything in common like a ground or fusible link and I'll get back to you (it will probably be tomorrow considering the time).

In the meantime, did anything unusual happen that might be related? Did you install any new accessories? And what about the lights - which ones work and which ones don't?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Teching In

Thank you. None of the lights work, actually none of the accessories work. Im going to try and jump the starter tom to see if it will turn over. I realize that I wont have injector pulse but it will eliminate a few sources. Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2008, 07:39 PM
Staging Lane

i just replaced the bcm on my car recently. for the longest time my radio would randomly turn off an on. when my radio didnt work, the windows wouldnt work. the keyless never worked and the hatch release never worked. i was a little hesitant to replace my bcm because its a 180 part from gmpartsdirect.com taht is non-refundable since each bcm is programmed for each specific car. once i finally broke down and bought it, it FIXED all my problems(and even learned a few new things about the car that had never previously worked)!

Goodluck
Old 09-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Teching In

Ya thats why im hesitant on buying one too. I just dont know what else could cause these problems. Everything previously worked before and the car only has 54,000 so I cant see the bcm going bad already?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
Teching In

left A-pillar, bolted to the IP mounting stud behind the kick panel? does anyone know where this is? There is a ground there but I cant find it
Old 09-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Remove the left kick panel including the door sill trim (one plastic panel that has the "dead" pedal, covers the left side of the inner body under the dash, and extends along the bottom of the door opening). A couple of inches below the dash on the edge closest to the door opening you'll see a stud with a nut and several black wires attached.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Thanks I went through and found every ground, thanks to this website. I traced them and found 0 problems. Any ideas of what I can do next would be much appreciated!!!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Both headlight motors are clicking? That is the only noise or function happening, still have 12.8 at battery. I have went through and found 0 shorts. When i read the key it shows 1180, when I read the column side of the connector it reads 1180 also. However when I read the bcm side of the connector it only reads 760? I havent seen where anyone has tested that side of the connector so im not sure if that matters. I tested the power wire (pink) going to the bcm and found no volts only resistance. Is there any way to test the ignition switch?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:24 PM
Teching In

Just changed ignition switch and car is still dead. Anyone......any ideas Anything?

Quick Reply: body control module