Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Speaker Box In Back Seat

Old 09-14-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker Box In Back Seat

I might be looking at taking my back seat and replacing it with a speaker box for two 10"s and an amp. I'm VERY new to the stereo world because honestly it was something I NEVER EVER intended on doing to my car I have FAR more interest in performance however I've recently grown VERY tired of giving people rides in my backseat. I was thinking of the weight reduction gains aswell but as I own a convertible I dont' want the eye soar of an empty back portion without seats.

So is there anyone out there that makes a speaker box for our back seats or does it have to be custom made. Regardless if there is or not if there is anyone out there that has put a box there PLEASE post up some pics as I'm very interested in seeing some ideas.

Also I've heard the back seat weighs about 40lbs what would a well sized speaker box with two 10"s and an amp weigh in contrast... 60lbs? is there anyway to keep the weight down?
Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rear seat enclosure has to be fabricated. As far as I know I have never heard of a prefab enclosure for that location. You could always do a couple of 10" subs or even 12" subs with the amp mounted between them. Lots of ways you could do this.
As for weight issues, it will weigh a fair amount even if it's fiberglassed. The weight you will add back to the car will far out weigh the seats you take out.
Old 09-15-2008, 12:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
Rear seat enclosure has to be fabricated. As far as I know I have never heard of a prefab enclosure for that location. You could always do a couple of 10" subs or even 12" subs with the amp mounted between them. Lots of ways you could do this.
As for weight issues, it will weigh a fair amount even if it's fiberglassed. The weight you will add back to the car will far out weigh the seats you take out.
what would be your guess for weight? 80lbs or will it be more then that? its mostly to get rid of the back seat rather then weight loss...

alright well as I said I'm quite new at this so how much displacement does the box have to have to have proper volume for 2 10"s? I assume you need a minimum of so much area for each? I really know nothing about stereos so take it easy on me.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was designing a box for myself, but never got around to building it. And no, no one makes a box, I did a fairly thorough search.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Vicinity
I was designing a box for myself, but never got around to building it.
well give me some pointers anything I should be keeping in mind when designing this thing... I am already thinking of putting the top on an angle facing forward proabably about 10degrees not too far forward as to slam your head forward with bass but not straight up as I think that would look kind of gay... I'm thinking carpet to match the interior but I'm not sure...
Old 09-15-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not really a professional, but I was just mimicking a 350z (because my stepdad has one, I just look out in the garage to see what to do.

Basically, one sub directly behind each seat and a spot in the middle for the amp (my design had it at a slant towards the front).

I'll scan a pic tomorrow. I think I'll eventually get it done.

Also, when building, keep in mind balance, the box will rattle and rock back and forth if not balanced.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

theres no way to bolt it down? I don't know if I want a speaker bouncing around in the back seat unfastened...
Old 09-15-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could bolt it to the floor, or if you can fiberglass, it will be the same mold as the floor, therefore, no rocking.
Old 09-15-2008, 01:17 PM
Teching In

There isn't one available, IMO weight (give or take 20-30lbs extra) isn't a concern unless you are tracking the car competitively, and to truly get good sound the box won't be light. Not cheap either unless you do it yourself. If it were me and I had your goals I'd fiberglass the bottom and build the top half out of mdf and form it in so it looked like a factory floor sort of like the old fold downs in the Mustang Fastbacks. It would be rather easy to tuck a couple drivers back there and you'd never have to give more than 1 person a ride again
Old 09-15-2008, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

alright thats sounds like pretty sound advice... no punn intended...

its been a while since I've ever cared about stereos but back in the day I was thinking of getting a pair of Alpines... I'm really doing this mostly to get rid of the backseat so as long as its a good sound I don't care infact I would rather it doesn't punch too hard... so would the type S be just fine or are they a little bit too cheap for sound quality?
Old 09-15-2008, 10:20 PM
Teching In

I am not personally a fan of the Alpine subs, the type X is worthwhile but the rest aren't really all that. Do you have a budget?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

Here's a rear seat area install I found in the Stereo & Electronics FAQ :http://www.djsexay.com/gallery/albums.php
Old 09-16-2008, 12:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Here's a rear seat area install I found in the Stereo & Electronics FAQ :http://www.djsexay.com/gallery/albums.php
That's waaay too big lol. It shouldn't need to go that high.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

that car is obviously all about looks and not power it doesn't even have longtubes for god sakes... lol I don't want to add too much weight but thanks it does give me ideas.

my budget I'd deffinately want to stay under 1000$ after everything.

I was thinking some Type R Alpines 500watts... I'm not looking for a lot bass just good sound quality. I'm sorry to all the stereo system fanatics in here but I'm doing this more to use up the room then I am for the stereo. I think X's are far out of my budget however for the right price I might...
Old 09-16-2008, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
damn, that box is HUGE!!!, i have thought about doing this many times. I just dont have anywhere to build the box. I have built a couple boxes before with MDF and fiberglass.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99345hp
damn, that box is HUGE!!!, i have thought about doing this many times. I just dont have anywhere to build the box. I have built a couple boxes before with MDF and fiberglass.
what do you guys think do you think if I build it out of mdf put some padding on the bottom and bolt it down from the inside that it would serve well?
Old 09-16-2008, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

if you want sound qaulity alpine is the way to go. as far as that build above goes that is for competition use and isnt needed at all for what you are looking for. your going to want to find out the cubic footage needed for each sub and go from there. the nice thing about alpine is there pdx line of amps which are compact and powerful at the same time, down side is there a lil pricey. a pdx 1x1000 is what ull need to power 2 10" alpine type Rs and itll run you roughly 400-600 depending on where you get it from. there are many ways you can create your box, maybe taking a trip to your nearest custom shop would help you with costs, weight, and difficutly in build

PM me i have a set of Type-R 10s that i had from a previous build that im willing to get rid of for cheap
Old 09-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by XTrackStar06X
if you want sound qaulity alpine is the way to go. as far as that build above goes that is for competition use and isnt needed at all for what you are looking for. your going to want to find out the cubic footage needed for each sub and go from there. the nice thing about alpine is there pdx line of amps which are compact and powerful at the same time, down side is there a lil pricey. a pdx 1x1000 is what ull need to power 2 10" alpine type Rs and itll run you roughly 400-600 depending on where you get it from. there are many ways you can create your box, maybe taking a trip to your nearest custom shop would help you with costs, weight, and difficutly in build

PM me i have a set of Type-R 10s that i had from a previous build that im willing to get rid of for cheap
Type-R's and SQ are polar opposites I'd call them fart cannons. They do get really loud, but the response is far from nice. Perhaps we should let the OP tell us his goals and then recommend equipment.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

well maybe I should start from the top on this with a few real newb questions such as

I buy a pair of 500w subs does this mean I need a 500w amp or a 1000w amp?

should I bother getting a top of the line Type R or should I just go straight to a Type X for the extra 100$ and notice a big difference... is a type s really I all I need for what I'm trying to obtain?

Good sound quality is what I'm after... I was happy with my convertible stereo as is stock... so as long as I don't have to 10"s behind me that sound like **** I'll be happy...

ideas?
Old 09-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

i have 2 type-x subs in a custom ported box now but not in a camaro. there is a diferance that is worth the extra money IMO

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speaker Box In Back Seat