Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blown sail panel speaker, no money, will these freebies work for now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown sail panel speaker, no money, will these freebies work for now?

My room mate just upgraded the stereo in his Evo 8 and has all of his old speakers left. Recently my passenger side sail panel crapped itself and now it sounds like garbage. I have no money and I am just looking to see if this will work until I get some money and can do it right.

It is an Infinity Kappa series 60.5cs.
Power Handling, RMS 90 Watts
Power Handling, Peak 270 watts
Frequency Response (±3dB) 45Hz - 21kHz
Sensitivity 90dB
Impedance 4 Ohms

It has 6 pins on it. 2 on one side for power and ground and 4 on the other. Dur thinking says that 2 are power and ground but I don't know what the other 2 are.
There is also a sticker on the side that says "Not used for component systems"

Can I just connect the 2 power and grounds on each side and be fine until I can put the right one in? If not I am just leave the blown one unplugged.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can use that but do not put the 2 pos and 2 neg wires together. You will have to just use one pair of pos and neg for now. This will get you going for awhile.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Awesome. Can I just use the factory connector and splice the power and ground to the two proper terminals? What are the extra two terminals for?
Old 09-20-2008, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can wire them that way. The 2 extra terminals are for the other set of voice coils on the stock sub. The stock sub is a dual voice coil subwoofer soit has 2 pairs of leads. This drops the impedance to 2ohms because they are wired parallel. This is why you shouldn't wire them together. I sell DVC 6.5" subwoofers if you need some later down the road. This would give you the right load and performance from the stock system.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

I just want to make sure I have this right. Factory Connector has four wires. New speaker has 6 pins. Just wire up the 4 Power and ground pins to the factory harness and ignore the 2 extra pins on the new speaker?

I have been to your website and have been impressed with the kit that you offer. When I can afford it and the time is right I will FOR SURE come to you guys. You have given me excellent help and I'm not even a current customer. Thank you for all of your help. If anyone asks about audio from now on your name will come up first .
Old 09-21-2008, 06:37 AM
Launching!

The person that owned my car before me connected both sets of wires together and hooked them up to some POS aftermarket speakers. I replaced the speakers with factrory subs......but I'm wondering after reading your warning......should the wires not be connected together because it will sound bad?? Or because it could damage something (amp??)

My stereo sounds pretty good, but I have nothing to compare it with....having never heard another Monsoon system in a TA before.