Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CD-changer/aux input???

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CD-changer/aux input???

I have read the dozens of threads on the aux input being used for an mp3 player jack by using GM9-aux to convert it, which is fine. A GM9 converter can be bought on Ebay. One just does away with the cd changer which is fine.

However, upon looking at my radio (Monsoon am/fm cd head unit with cd/aux button)...my cd changer harness is plugged in but as far as I know, I dont have a cd changer...it'd be crazy to suddenly discover a changer (i bought the car used). So I would just pull out the cd changer harness, plug in the GM9-aux adapter and replug in the harness since that's how it was originally? Or try diff combo's until cd and mp3 player aux jack work?

Second question: Has anyone mounted a 3.5mm jack input...how? There are not threads physically on this wire like on a toggle switch.

I hope all the above is clear.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

All f-body Monsoon systems had the CD changer harness installed whether or not the optional changer was installed. If you have a changer, you'll find it mounted in the cubby hole on the left side of the hatch area (next to where the t-tops are stored).

Since you have an 02 model, you can connect both a changer and the GM9-AUX adapter. The adapter has a pass-thru port that allows you to connect the changer harness to it when you plug the adapter into the changer port on the back of the head unit. Only 01 and 02 models had this capability - earlier models had to choose between connecting the changer or the auxiliary adapter.

There have been a couple of threads about installing a 3.5mm jack connected to the internal wiring of the head unit to avoid the need for an external adapter (one of them is here). You could also install an adapter like the GM9-AUX and then connect an inexpensive RCA to 3.5mm patch cable.
Old 10-02-2008, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Whitebird...thanks for the feedback. the last part of your post, I'll look into. Its called a patch panel. Now I know what to research.

I had mounted a toggle switch on removable bezel panel next to "35th Anniversary Camaro" for the line lock. Long story short, no more LL and an open hole. To patch in the 3.5mm jack there would be cool.

Some research for tonight...thanks again

Quick Reply: CD-changer/aux input???