Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Stock alarm problems...

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock alarm problems...

Hello everyone, i have a 1998 Camaro SS and just recently the alarm has been acting up. Today it rained pretty hard, and i'm not sure if that has had any effect on this or not, but i figured it was a valuable piece of information. If I lock the car using the keyfob, probably 5-10 seconds later the car alarm will start going off, same if i press the lock button on the inside and then shut the door. If i just manually slide the lock button over it's fine, and will stay locked without the alarm going off. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this? It was fine last night, and the alarm just randomly started going off today while i was in work, like something got wet and the car realized it was locked and freaked out or something. Any help that anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Devan
Old 10-06-2008, 07:13 PM
Staging Lane

I had some kind of problem like that but mine never rang mine all it was was triggered a sensor and made my security light come on but not only did i have to put a new alarm system from chevrolet but i also had to change the steering column as well i would have to say u are going to be looking to get a new alarm system but u might want to check if ur truck door has leaks as well because on my 2000 camaro V6 same body style my alarm is in the trunk on the right side next to the spare tire.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:18 PM
Teching In

I didn't think of that, i'll see if the hatch has any leaks. Thanks! Does anyone else have any ideas?
Old 10-07-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manually sliding the lock lever over probably isn't arming the alarm. Your problem is most likely the shock sensor in the spare tire area going bad. Try unplugging it for a while and see if it stops going off. You can also try turning the sensitivity down.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Teching In

I disconnected the shock sensor like you said 2001NBMZ28, and everything works as it should now (other than the shock sensor obviously lol), without the alarm going off. I don't know what would have been setting off the shock sensor though, it's like it was set to go off 3 seconds after i locked the car for some reason. Do you think that the shock sensor just went bad or is there a way to reset it or change the settings on it? If not i suppose the only option is to buy a new one? Thanks!

Devan
Old 10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes they just go bad. You can look inside the case for any signs of a short or water intrusion. The only adjustment I'm aware of is the white **** for the sensitivity. Don't know what they cost now, betting they're not cheap.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

It has a adj. ****, just adjust it down and if that doesnt help , then unplug it.