Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Why Soldiers shouldent drive Humv's without a NCO with them....

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Soldiers shouldent drive Humv's without a NCO with them....

Today i was driving around post (Fort hood) i pulled upto the stop light at Tj mills and warhorse. (light takes forever!)

I pulled up next to a Humv with 2 Soldiers in it i thought nuttin of it until they started reving it up. I looked over and laughed becouse it reminded me of my 1st drag race ever. I drag raced a Humv in my Stryker in iraq and smoked it.

So the light turns green and he guns it so i give him a little room then fly right past him.

This is why you need Non comisioned officers to keep stuff like this from happening durring duty hours on post... lol

Yes i know this wasent much of a kill at all but it was pretty funny.....

Last edited by Stocktonz28; 10-29-2008 at 02:26 AM.
Old 10-29-2008, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

first of all its HMMWV. not humvee, or whatever, thats just how you pronounce it. and racing on a base is never a good idea.

hha, when i was a contractor me and the other mechanics would "test drive" the trucks we worked on and go out to empty roads to find the fastest hmmwv we had in our motor pool. we would also get air born with them on the driver training areas.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well in the army we're so sick of acronyms that humv just makes since to us lol

either way i cant totally agree and admit i have acted a complete fool in a humvee. raced in the mud one time three across with NCO's with us fun fun times haha. My gunner hated me tho big *** puddle
Old 10-29-2008, 05:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im in the AF so this is what happens sometimes. We have to cross the runway to get to some parking spots. We have radio's to call the tower. So one night in kuwait I am coming to the hold line ( where u stop and call from ) and I see my friend in his truck and hear him start calling tower so. I give him the look and bring the revs up a bit ( i was in a 5sp mitsu pu vs his 5sp nissan ) and he does the same. Tower calls clear and I dead hook with my posi less mitsu and he spun alittle and he was starting to catch me and then I chirped 2cd and he shifted alittle slower so I keep my .5 truck lenght and we let off then but it was very nice!!
Old 10-29-2008, 07:15 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

I think this is the first Humve kill on LS1tech.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:54 AM
Village Idiot

You guys get to play around in Humvee's like that, Cool!!!!...Sweet, sounds like a fun gig!!! Those are true 4x4 vehicles, wish I had one to mud wamp in.. I would think that they are slower then molassis though.... Do the military ones run diesel?

Years back and stationed in Columbus, Miss. in the AF we never got to ride them.. Damn!!!! Missed out I guess!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
You guys get to play around in Humvee's like that, Cool!!!!...Sweet, sounds like a fun gig!!! Those are true 4x4 vehicles, wish I had one to mud wamp in.. I would think that they are slower then molassis though.... Do the military ones run diesel?

Years back and stationed in Columbus, Miss. in the AF we never got to ride them.. Damn!!!! Missed out I guess!!!!

yes. they run on JP8 which is a form of diesel. but they are not True 4x4 in the sense they are HORRIBLE for off road purposes. there power to weight ratio is horrendous. they are the only Vehicle in the world that can be sitting still and have things break overnight lol

and LMTV will outrun them thank enlarge to the Super charged v6 hehe
Old 10-29-2008, 01:01 PM
On The Tree

The Strykers are funner to drive though. 8 wheels, turbo charged and you can get them upto 85 without the extra armor.

I drove one trough a raging river in W.A the water came over my hatch it was freakin sweet.... My buddy i was doing drivers training with knocked down a tree in one... he was pretty ummm stupid...

But the stryker was the 1st vehicle i ever drove and i was 18 lol

You Air Force guys need to drag race your jets and get it on tape... THAT WOULD KICK ***!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
yes. they run on JP8 which is a form of diesel. but they are not True 4x4 in the sense they are HORRIBLE for off road purposes. there power to weight ratio is horrendous. they are the only Vehicle in the world that can be sitting still and have things break overnight lol

and LMTV will outrun them thank enlarge to the Super charged v6 hehe
The HMMWV is good off road. They don't break as frquently as the Jeep did. The LMTV is turbocharged straight 6 from Cat. The only supercharged diesels the Army has are Detroits and they are two stroke so the supercharger doesn't add power, but the turbo it has does.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WOW Racing on a military installation. thats really really smart. good one.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
WOW Racing on a military installation. thats really really smart. good one.
Who give a ****? It was all in fun. What are they gonna do give me a warning? a ticket that wouldent pass in court?

pssh yea right
Old 10-29-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
The HMMWV is good off road. They don't break as frquently as the Jeep did. The LMTV is turbocharged straight 6 from Cat. The only supercharged diesels the Army has are Detroits and they are two stroke so the supercharger doesn't add power, but the turbo it has does.
I have a john deere made military Gen. Uncle sam likes alot of different brands.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not a big fan of the HMMWV. I'm a 63B (Mechanic) so I see what goes wrong with these things, and things happen frequently. I want to know who's great idea it was to attach the axles to the diff with 8 bolts. Ridiculous. They are too slow to get out of their own way as well.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
I'm not a big fan of the HMMWV. I'm a 63B (Mechanic) so I see what goes wrong with these things, and things happen frequently. I want to know who's great idea it was to attach the axles to the diff with 8 bolts. Ridiculous. They are too slow to get out of their own way as well.
I've been in the Army longer than you've been alive as a 63B, now 63X because of my rank. No offense to you. The HMMWV is a lot better than the Jeep. I didn't say the HMMWV was the greatest thing in the world it has it problems. But off road ability isn't one of them. Most of the problems come from lack of maintenance at the operator level or mechanics that half *** the repair from what I have seen.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been in the Army longer than you've been alive as a 63B, now 63X because of my rank. No offense to you. The HMMWV is a lot better than the Jeep. I didn't say the HMMWV was the greatest thing in the world it has it problems. But off road ability isn't one of them. Most of the problems come from lack of maintenance at the operator level or mechanics that half *** the repair from what I have seen.
Didn't say it wasn't better than the Jeep, but I wouldn't know because I've never been around a military Jeep. Definitely not saying the HMMWV isn't very capable off road either. Just basing my opinion on what I've seen first hand. Don't see what you're time of service has to do with this, but I appreciate your service nonetheless.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PowerShift408
Didn't say it wasn't better than the Jeep, but I wouldn't know because I've never been around a military Jeep. Definitely not saying the HMMWV isn't very capable off road either. Just basing my opinion on what I've seen first hand. Don't see what you're time of service has to do with this, but I appreciate your service nonetheless.
Just letting you know how long I've dealt with the HMMWV. It doesn't matter for anything other than that. I meant, and stated that I meant, no offense by that. I also appreciate your service and I hope that you enjoy your time in the military as much as I have.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

This was the primary problem I had when I was a gunner during my first tour. Was with 1Cav (2-12cav, 11c) and the biggest problem we had with our gun trucks was the freaking mechanics. We had a couple who were spot on but I ended up doing most of the maintainance myself. I swear to god I would rather change bradly/113 track all day then change a tire on a 998!

And for yall who love your Strykers, I HATED them! My 40 year old M1064A3 was 1000000000000 times more reliable than my mortar stryker. I think it accelerated faster too! And as far as fire power, you cant beat a brad in the Infantry world, but I always had a love for the ol' Abrams. Amazing firepower! And faster cross country than a stryker, brad or 998.

Quick Reply: Why Soldiers shouldent drive Humv's without a NCO with them....