Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Turbo'd Fobra vs. Bolt on Z28 *Video*

Old 02-12-2009, 04:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo'd Fobra vs. Bolt on Z28 *Video*

--Scroll down for cliff notes and video--

So last Saturday night a friend and I are heading home for the night and turn into the neighborhood when we realize that we were supposed to swing by this other dude's house for whatever reason, so I change lanes to flip a bitch and wait for some oncoming headlights to pass. Turns out it's a Green Convertible Mustang with dual exhaust tips, just purring by, which makes me a little excited seeing as how I haven't punished my clutch in a few weeks. Plus it's always fun to tangle with Ford's 8 cylinders of fury.

We both pull up to the red light, waiting to turn left, and I notice the chrome Cobra wheels and I'm thinking "Wow, those look pretty good." But then I keep looking and I see an attack-poised Cobra in chrome on the side and the tail lights have a hint of amber lining the bottom, so I'm thinking "Hell yeah, it's a ******* Cobra!" Pre-03 mind you, so it's NA. I have no idea how these run, so I'm more than ready to find out first hand.

So the light turns green and we start turning left, me in the right lane taking the wide turn, and as I'm turning my ears are straining to hear even a hint of abnormal increase of rpms from the left lane, just ready to rip to pieces the bond my tires have made with the pavement. He accelerates slower than a blind old lady with a peg leg, so I realize I'm gonna have to antagonize this dude if I want to get a race. I pull up to him at about 40, leave it in 2nd, and let off the gas, letting the screaming rpms come down slow and loud as all hell, just straight up growling at this dude. Just trying to show him that I'd like to participate in a friendly run

I don't hear his rpms match mine so I start honking, hoping he'll drop a few gears as the loud honks graze his ears. HONK...HONK..HONK, I floor it! The car lunges forward and the rpms shoot towards redline, but as soon as I hit it I realize he didn't hit his skinny pedal at all, so I let off and think for a second "Maybe he doesn't want to waste his gas on me?" So I hit it to show him the car isn't a V6 like the buck naked, unbadged rear panel says it is.

Still no go... I'm pretty discouraged at this point, ready to just cruise the rest of the 2 miles to Matt's house.

But then a flash of light hits me from the side mirror and I notice a pair of headlights coming quick. I hit the gas right as I hear displaced air and thousands of tiny explosions fly past my open window. I slam 3rd, the shift I've been working on lately, but he's still pretty far ahead, so I SLAM 4th trying to regain the lost ground, but right when I let the clutch out and hammer the gas I see brake lights up ahead, so I tap my brakes too, letting the car chillax for a minute.

My friend smells something fierce and lets it be known, "**** that, run his ***. How's he gonna ricer fly-by you?.."

Yup, that nasty smell is some good old fashioned American Rice. American Rice usually has a distinct stench and never seems to taste good. It doesn't seem to ever look appetizing, and usually ends in vomit or nausea from any brave soul that lays eyes on it. Why people enjoy it I'll never understand..

There's a red light ahead, so I'm ready to talk to this guy and ask him what roll he wants (or dig, I'm down for whatever), but the windshield fills up with green light and it's off we go again. After seeing him floor it I know now that he's not afraid to get on the gas, so I figure maybe if I match his speed and honk again, he'll hit it to so we can get a good race in.

I line up in 2nd gear again, let the car rumble a little to let him know my car's ready to rock, just waiting for him to match my rpms, but again i hear nothing. So I figure maybe I just can't hear his car over my exhaust, maybe he is all staged and ready to go also? So I throw him some honks again...

HONK..HONK..HONK I give it half throttle to make sure he goes before I waste any more gas, and of course he's left behind with no intention of accelerating and Wayne and I are both pissed that this dude won't hit it, lol. So I just hit it through part of 2nd because the power feels great compared to the 3.1l Oldsmobile I had been driving all weekend, then let off to cruise again, but as the rpms are sloping down I hear a weird sound coming from the window. The Green Snake hit the gas again!

I nearly put a hole in the floorboard slamming the gas pedal down and almost immediately had to powersling the shifter to 3rd, ready to see exactly where I stand with this Mustang. But of course, this guy lets off when I stop his pull and won't get on it again. When he got off the gas I heard an odd sound that I didn't hear too often and definitely wasn't expecting to hear... I couldn't tell it if was a loud SC's BPV or a really quiet BOV, but it was definitely intriguing. Lucky for me we were coming up to a red light... :biggrin:

I crank my window down as I watch him roll his window down. He has a huuuuge smirk on his face and looks to be in his early 20s.

Me- "What's in that?"
Him- "Mustang GT"
Me- "What's in it though?"
Him- "Turrrboh"
Wayne- "You wanna get a clean run in tonight?.."
The stench was sooo bad at the light we could barely breath.
The light turns green and the dude takes off again with a huge smirk still slapped across his face. I give chase and again the adventure continues.

We're cruising on 620 still, passing the light I was supposed to turn at, still trying to get a decent run in with this guy, hoping he just wants to take me to the highway or something, which I was definitely down for.

He was about a car up ahead when my hopes were crushed as I watched his taillights randomly start to pull away and could faintly hear a turbo turning some serious rpms, being paired along with some good old internal combustion. So I hammer it in 2nd again, start reeling him in hard and throw the shifter towards 3rd, almost breaking the son of a bish.. I'm slowly creeping up to his bumper, and then to his door, and then fighting with tooth and nail to match my headlights with his. But of course, as soon as I catch him he lets off his go pedal, forcing the BOV to spew pressurized air back into the atmosphere and the world behind us explodes into red as his brake lights shower the world behind us.

I'm satisfied with that "run" for the moment, and we're coming into a school area where the speed limit's low and the cop level's high, so I just jump behind him and cruise at 45, hoping he'll line up when we get to highway.

We turn onto the highway and slowly pick up speed to match traffic, but to my dismay there's TONS of traffic, even with the clock showing 3am.. I'm pretty pissed and am about to call it a night with this guy when I see him make his way to the fast lane around 2 big trucks, so I follow, hoping for an open highway in front of the 18 wheelers.

As I'm passing the 18 wheeler in the middle lane I get an erection as I'm squinting, trying to calculate the distance us and the faint red lights ahead of us.
It was perfect, absolutely perfect. We could run up to as high as him and his turbo wanted to go, I was down for whatever. My car tends to pull hardest in 4th.

But of course, the Mustang punches it 4 cars ahead of me at about 75mph. I down shift to 3rd and plug the bitch to try to catch up. As I'm closing this huge gap between us, he jerks to the right and flies across 4 lanes to exit before I can even think about blinking. So my blue ***** stayed and the green car didn't..

Wayne and I could not stop laughing the whole way back

--Cliff notes--
I found a turbo vert GT with Cobra wheels and badges all over and got ricer fly byed twice. The second time I stopped his pull, but he let off before I could pass him. We exchange some words at the light and find out he's a turbo'd GT (Fobra). Then he hits it and I chase and catch him easily, but when I'm about to pass him he lets off again. We get on the highway, it opens up to perfection with no traffic, and he takes off and exits before we can line up...

Mods in sig, no spray.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv-EZ...e=channel_page
Old 02-12-2009, 05:15 AM
Staging Lane

damn good story had me on the edge of my seat, i'll go ahead and say nice kill and nice car. Some mustang drivers just cant take a check on the L side!
Old 02-12-2009, 05:26 AM
11 Second Club

had to read the cliff notes too long of a story for my attention span. but nice runs and nice car
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

What a loser!!! How many times do you have to line up with a guy before he realizes what's going on and races you?? Good Kill O/P.... hope that guy sells that car and buys a Civic!

READ THE STORY..... ITS THE BEST PART!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Banned

What a tool...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:37 AM
TECH Addict

weak sauce.. I hate trying to run pussies like that and you know hes telling all his buddies right now about his "kill" ha
Old 02-12-2009, 09:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

Texas 02 Z28 what kind of gauges are on your pillar?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v

Cyberdyne
Old 02-12-2009, 10:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99_Z28
Cyberdyne
Badass! I just checked them out and I like them. I was gonna go with the new Autometer digital series but I think I might give these a shot. Never heard of them before though. Are they pretty accurate and good gauges?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Banned

Never heard of them before though. Are they pretty accurate and good gauges?

Not sure, but there not that expensive...I was thinking of putting the tach and oil pressure on my pillar since the stockers suck.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:18 AM
Teching In

wow, that was the longest kill story ever lol, and good kill neway!

the guy sounds like a tool but he must have something terribly wrong with his car, because with your mods if he was turbod and had a good tune he should have pulled on u very hard!
Old 02-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Launching!

yea really long story but good. Dick needs to learn how to lineup
Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the cliff notes!! The vid was great too! Nice kill OP!!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lol, He needs to slap a "Type-R" on that Fobra!!! To bad you didnt see his smirk drop to a "F*ck me runnin I'm about to lose so I better hit my brakes frown" hahaha, nice kill OP!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

It's an AEM wideband on top (not plugged in yet, lol, need a bung welded in still), and a DynoTune fuel pressure gauge on bottom.

the guy sounds like a tool but he must have something terribly wrong with his car, because with your mods if he was turbod and had a good tune he should have pulled on u very hard!
lol, yeah, I have no idea how 2v's do with boost, but it didn't sound like it was pushing much air when he flew by. I'm guessing he was on low boost and had a bad tune or mismatched turbo or something, lol. I'm hoping I'll run into him again someday because he was coming out of my neighborhood

To bad you didnt see his smirk drop to a "F*ck me runnin I'm about to lose so I better hit my brakes frown"
lol, oh man that would've been awesome. I wanted to see his face when I told him I was just bolt ons... lol

Thanks for the compliments yall
Old 02-12-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Texas 02 Z28
It's an AEM wideband on top (not plugged in yet, lol, need a bung welded in still), and a DynoTune fuel pressure gauge on bottom.
So 99_Z28 lied to me!?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

Nice kills OP...I think. Doesn't sound like he gave you one clean race out of all that bullshit. A turbo 2V could be badass, if it is done right. Sounds like a real jackass.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice story man, I really need to start going to the meets more often.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

So 99_Z28 lied to me!?
lol, looks that way, sorry dude. Fwiw though, my fuel pressure gauge does look like those Cyberdynes in the video, so I can understand why he said that. Not sure why he stated it as fact though, lol.

Oh hey, and after more research I think it might've been a legit Cobra. A 1999 if anything though. Another dude brought up that the exhaust looks to be set up for IRS, which apparently GTs didn't come with? The main reasons we thought it was a Fobra was because the back bumper said "MUSTANG", the front bumper/hood looked like a GT, and he told us it was a GT, lol. Buuuut after looking at pics of pre-Terminator Cobras I think it could've been an Electric Green 1999 Cobra. Or a GT with all the badges, lights, wheels, and an IRS swap, lol.

Which makes me even more pissed that he was being a douche and we never got a clean run in or even got to check out his car... lol

According to this site there were only 318 Convertible Electric Green Cobras made in 1999.
http://www.mustangspecs.com/years/99cobra.shtml

Originally Posted by stoverz28
Nice story man, I really need to start going to the meets more often.
Yeah you do!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Banned

So 99_Z28 lied to me!?

MUHAHAHAHA!

Search this Thread