Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed an SRT-8 Challenger

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Killed an SRT-8 Challenger

We ran probably 5 times. I grabbed a coffee at Wawa and pulled to the exit light and noticed a Challenger in front of me.. so I revved and they proceeded to take off on green. I got up to around 70 and just kind of held back. A few lights later we caught a red together along with a modded Grand Cherokee SRT-8. I know the GC had at least exhaust because I know of the guy who owns it and he had exhaust on it over a year ago. It had rained a bit earlier, but it was 50 degrees out or so tonight, so I figured traction could be no worse than it is when it's 30 out like it usually is around this time.

Anyway, the GC crushed us from the light.. I spun my *** off. I haven't tried launching since the cam went in. I just swapped out the stock clutch a month ago and the stocker would give me problems even from a roll. The GC got out about 3 cars and shut it down at what seemed like 30 or so. I was a bit puzzled but I kept going anyway. The Challenger slowly faded. I realized that dumping at 2000 wasn't working so I decided to slip it and feather a bit from 1500 at the next light we caught. This worked out well as the Challenger was only able to hang through part of first.

In total we ran 4 or 5 times with me winning by anywhere from 5-8 lengths depending on what speed we went to. I was usually shutting down at 110 or so because it was pointless to keep going at that point. he wasn't coming back. There were 4 kids in the car who all seemed pretty cool. It was the first SRT-8 anything I've ran into.

Short story: WS6 > Challenger by a bus from a stop
Old 02-27-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Good kill, i would like to see how a well modded srt8 challenger would run. They dont look very impressive stock, atleast not from what ive seen.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Good kill, i would like to see how a well modded srt8 challenger would run. They dont look very impressive stock, atleast not from what ive seen.
I don't know if it had anything done or not. I didn't bother to ask. I assume it wasn't even the kid's car. he looked to be about 18-19, and SRT-8 Challengers are probably 40 grand.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:16 AM
Staging Lane

So you've got a cam and you're racing a 6.1 with 4 people in it? You must have been really, really bored!

With your numbers, even an I/E/T 6.1 with a 100lb girl driving it would still probably lose by 1-2 CLs....
Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Deuuuce
So you've got a cam and you're racing a 6.1 with 4 people in it? You must have been really, really bored!

With your numbers, even an I/E/T 6.1 with a 100lb girl driving it would still probably lose by 1-2 CLs....
you cant take anyone beating your mighty srt8's can you? its not the op fault someone wanted to race him while having 4 people. maybe the srt8 guy shouldnt have raced with 4 people.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by the jester 812
you cant take anyone beating your mighty srt8's can you? its not the op fault someone wanted to race him while having 4 people. maybe the srt8 guy shouldnt have raced with 4 people.
Ehh, I dunno why he even bother to post this up unless he never races. Its not like he should have ever expected the Challenger to beat him with his cam
Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Ehh, I dunno why he even bother to post this up unless he never races. Its not like he should have ever expected the Challenger to beat him with his cam
I don't know about you guys but when someone wants to race me in a cool car and I have no idea what's done to it, I usually race them. Even if it doesn't look like anything is done, you never know when they've got a bottle. Plus it gives me a reason to blast through some gears in my car, which is always worth it even if no one is in the other lane. But that's just me.

For example, my buddy has an LS1 Z28 with just a catback and lid......and a 125 shot. Looks- and sound-wise you wouldn't think it's anything but a pretty much stock Z28 but he runs dead even with me from a roll. And I have another friend with an LS1 SS that looks and sounds completely stock. It's got a sleeper cam and LS6 heads, but EVERYTHING else is bone stock from the manifolds to the catback, no induction mods or anything else. The only way you can tell it's not stock is by looking for the 243 casting number on the heads. He traps 114-115 on street tires depending on the weather.

I'm not saying that most cars out there fall into these categories, but you never know; that's why I'm always up for a run when someone is interested.

Nice kill on the Challenger, OP, but also nice death from the GC. Those things are nasty from a dig.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 02-28-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
I don't know about you guys but when someone wants to race me in a cool car and I have no idea what's done to it, I usually race them. Even if it doesn't look like anything is done, you never know when they've got a bottle. Plus it gives me a reason to blast through some gears in my car, which is always worth it even if no one is in the other lane. But that's just me.

For example, my buddy has an LS1 Z28 with just a catback and lid......and a 125 shot. Looks- and sound-wise you wouldn't think it's anything but a pretty much stock Z28 but he runs dead even with me from a roll. And I have another friend with an LS1 SS that looks and sounds completely stock. It's got a sleeper cam and LS6 heads, but EVERYTHING else is bone stock from the manifolds to the catback, no induction mods or anything else. The only way you can tell it's not stock is by looking for the 243 casting number on the heads. He traps 114-115 on street tires depending on the weather.

I'm not saying that most cars out there fall into these categories, but you never know; that's why I'm always up for a run when someone is interested.

Nice kill on the Challenger, OP, but also nice death from the GC. Those things are nasty from a dig.
yeah i lost to a JGC SRT8 in my TBSS real bad, those things are dirty
Old 02-28-2009, 02:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
I'll make sure from now on I only post races where I expect to lose. I wouldn't wanna waste your time.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

At the light they yelled over asking if I wanted to race, which I wanted to anyway. I must've missed the rule sheet on my cam about not racing cars with 4 people in them. My bad. I even mentioned to them after the first race "It's not really fair.. your car is loaded and I'm alone."

I'm just posting up a fun experience.. my first SRT-8 race yet. Some of you get bent out of shape quick.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

i don't blame you for runnin him. good kill. it's so boring here, i would run a taxi if it would line up. ha ha
Old 02-28-2009, 04:12 PM
Launching!

Were you spraying ball??
Old 02-28-2009, 04:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

At the new elementary school my son will be attending,
there are at least four families that have new Challengers. One day when I was there a couple weeks ago, they were all lined up in the car line.
2 are R/ts, 2 are SRT8s, they all look really nice.
Honestly, if I come across a good deal on a SRT8, I might buy it.
If you check other sites, they take to mods pretty well, and can easily make
some big numbers.

good kill op.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:46 PM

Good kill! Don't worry about people giving you crap. There's no reason not to post a race against a 425 hp car. People post races against stock civics and no one gives them crap about it.

The car is a fat pig without the 4 people in it, so I guess we shouldn't post any races against them since it's obviously not fair to them.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Launching!

Didn't you know Deuce is Mr. SRT8 Defender on Every Board on the Internet? Just playin with ya man.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:35 PM
Launching!

is his name deuce or douche
Old 02-28-2009, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

good kill man, once i get my car out of the shop ive got a revenge race against an 08 srt8 charger. we pretty much tied last time. im certain i will smoke his hairy ones this time.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheTugBoat
Were you spraying ball??
Nah. I haven't sprayed in a race in a while. I can't wait until spring though once everyone starts bringing out their cars. I'm definitely gonna try to get some more interesting runs than this one and get them on video if I can. If you ever wanna cruise or run just let me know.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by badazz99ta
good kill man, once i get my car out of the shop ive got a revenge race against an 08 srt8 charger. we pretty much tied last time. im certain i will smoke his hairy ones this time.
What were your mods when you raced him before? Or at least what were his to keep up with your car?
Old 02-28-2009, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by proporio
If you check other sites, they take to mods pretty well, and can easily make
some big numbers.

good kill op.
Thanks... and you dont even have to check other sites. Just check *****'s sig and Deuuuce's sig. Both have some pretty basic mods and a tune and put down over 400 RWHP. I'm not really sure how much of a gain it is over stock, but it's impressive regardless.