Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Retard in RX8 let me get my first kill post swap

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 03:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Retard in RX8 let me get my first kill post swap

Cliff notes: RX8 gets his *** handed to him hardcore from a dig through my first gear after putting about 3 cars on me during some in town S curves

I was cruising through town to pick up my date when I saw a dark green rx8 with black wheels sitting waiting to turn. He saw me coming and jumped back into the regular lanes.

This part of the roads are on a downhill incline and S curves. He kept trying to egg me on there, the roads were covered in sand from the week before when the city put it on the snow we had.

Anyway I goose it once or twice but the tail acted like it wanted to slip out so I just let him get ahead of me and have his victory through the turns.

Once the road straightened out we ended up caught at the light together. Not another soul in site. So the light turns green and I hear him rev up so I just nail it hard and the car is spinning but still moving forward. Does this all the way through first and hits second hard enough to step the rear out a couple inches. Looked in my rear view and found him no less than 4-5 cars back...so I just tapped my brakes and called it done.

Slowed down in case he wanted to try a low roll but he just slinked over into my lane behind me and kept falling back.

Not all that impressive I know but it was fun and the first thing even remotely close to a race I've had since the swap was done.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing this was in your Chevelle? Nice kill. Those RX-8s are good cars to throw around some curves but are completely gutless in a straight line.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:31 PM
12 Second Club

well congrats on the first race and i must say your car is effin sexy

have you had the chance to hit the track yet? and whats the weight like in that car? less or more than an F-body?
Old 03-09-2009, 07:18 PM
TECH Regular

Congrats sir. Welcome to ROTF Club. (Race on the fly) ...I made it up...
Old 03-09-2009, 10:22 PM
***Repost Police***

Good kill. As said, those cars handle great but they make even my car feel like it has *****
Old 03-09-2009, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

haha, I think mine is actually slower than it should be...hoping the mail order tune is to blame because I can't find anything mechanically wrong. I have long tubes, 230/224 111+3 cam, dual exhaust, and now a fast 90/90 and am only making the same power as a bolt on/header f body car would (around 344rwhp based on my track time and estimated weight) car dynoed 325rwhp/340rwtq before the fast was swapped on

car ran 8.46@86mph in 2099da weather Sunday afternoon at Redline Raceway in Greenville TX, should have been better but 2.1 60ft because of stock converter slowed me down, this is after I installed my fast90/90 though which I didn't have during the race

car should weigh near 3500lbs +/- (weighed 3740 with 1/2 tank before the swap and removing all a/c parts)

I know they're slow but it was fun anyway haha, does make me want to gather my suspension stuff up though so maybe next time I get both wins...or at least hang better

I was just thrilled because at the track my first run was against an 03 cobra with a pulley, cai, and bassani exhaust and he only beat me by .2 and that was mostly off the line, he was still barely creeping until I hit the middle of second when he stopped pulling and just held me off (I cross the traps either going into 3rd or banging the rev limiter if I hold it down a gear manually *rolls eyes*)
Old 03-09-2009, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

nice run, ran one of those in my dodge figured they were quicker but just like you it was bad from a dig but he would kill any of my cars thru the dragon.

id love to see your chevelle, my dream car is a 69 camaro with a LS1 to cruze with
Old 03-09-2009, 11:52 PM
11 Second Club

It's a fun car, I bought it when I was 16. Back then she was copper with metallic creme/silver stripes and pinstripes that ended with hot rod flames on the side, white bench seat cloth interior and the good ole 350/350 with a 2.56 10 bolt out back ( I thought 2.73 until I found the buildsheet during my swap last summer).

It needs to be painted again bad, been wrecked on the pass front so the fender doesn't match anymore, hood is bowed near the cowl scoop, and the clear coat failed last spring so the roof is rusting. Can't complain too much though since all the paint and body work was done for $1600 (which included cutting out the bottom corners of all 4 fenders, the area around where the car originally had a vinyl top, and a bad dent in the driver fender and had new metal welded in). This time all the money can go to a quality paint job.

I just love the character and simplicity of old cars. And these days you can make them do anything a new car can if you want to. A $1200 front suspension setup and bolting c6 brakes up front and rear and the car will be a whole new animal in the curves and no one will be the wiser.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:57 PM
Teching In

That car looks and sounds like it is mean. You have Flowmaster mufflers?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Nice ride man! I'm contemplating the same type of swap into a '69 Buick Skylar GS400. Maybe a standalone EMS would help the drop-off in power??? I dunno. Good luck man. Little ish like that can test your patience.

Until you mentioned the passenger side fender, I was wondering why every picture on your car domain site is of the driver side too. lol. And that little RX-8 is pretty good in the twisties but gutless in a straight line. I beat one in my Subaru wagon going up to Lake Tahoe last month. Go beat something faster and create another thread.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:19 AM
10 Second Club

Nice kill dude nothing like picking a road race with a 70's 3500 pound Chevelle. What a dick. Those things are like 15 second cars stock. he would need curves to stay with you.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Newskool Mach
Nice kill dude nothing like picking a road race with a 70's 3500 pound Chevelle. What a dick. Those things are like 15 second cars stock. he would need curves to stay with you.
Lol your Mustang's only a 14 second car stock, would that mean we're all dicks for messing with you in our LS1's? (Obviously your not stock)

Those thing's do have turbo kits and everything else available to them, the guy must've just wanted his to look pretty.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 PM
On The Tree

mach's match up quite evenly with an ls1 actually, usually goes to the best driver, or car by car basis with maybe a slight nod to the LS1
Old 03-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
those cars handle great but they make even my car feel like it has *****

Lets not get carried away now....
Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 PM
***Repost Police***

Yet another douche-tard who is incapable of lighthearted humor
Old 03-10-2009, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Good kill. As said, those cars handle great but they make even my car feel like it has *****
Originally Posted by 99_Z28
Lets not get carried away now....
Yet another douche-tard who is incapable of lighthearted humor
hahahahahahaahahah here is one of the people that first joined the IRUN hate club. . .
Old 03-10-2009, 01:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kain01
Lol your Mustang's only a 14 second car stock, would that mean we're all dicks for messing with you in our LS1's? (Obviously your not stock)

Those thing's do have turbo kits and everything else available to them, the guy must've just wanted his to look pretty.
Might want to double check before you lose some money or something, mid-low 13s is the norm for a mach 1 from my experience.

What sucks is I was supposed to race a decently modded (from what I hear) s197 mustang this weekend. But my car has a slight scraping sound coming from near the converter so I'm afraid I either have loose bolts or a cracked flexplate.

My car hits 2nd REALLY hard and the track had excellent prep so I'm afraid it might have put too much shock on the plate.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by thunderstruck507
Might want to double check before you lose some money or something, mid-low 13s is the norm for a mach 1 from my experience.

What sucks is I was supposed to race a decently modded (from what I hear) s197 mustang this weekend. But my car has a slight scraping sound coming from near the converter so I'm afraid I either have loose bolts or a cracked flexplate.

My car hits 2nd REALLY hard and the track had excellent prep so I'm afraid it might have put too much shock on the plate.
I saw that it was a Mach 1 after I posted, just giving him a hard time anyway.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kain01

My car went 13.4 with only a drop in K&N. Anyhow I don't think I'll be road racing my auto Mach with 4.10's anytime soon...I'm not stupid.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Newskool Mach
My car went 13.4 with only a drop in K&N. Anyhow I don't think I'll be road racing my auto Mach with 4.10's anytime soon...I'm not stupid.
lol I saw your sig and then compared it to mine and thought "yeah I need to talk crap"