Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced an M3... who else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raced an M3... who else?

I just lined up with a Bimmer M3 about an hour ago at a light. He had a catback, judging by the looks/sound thats probably about it. My car is in Sig.
Now, I thought these things hauled ***??

Cuz we were side by side from a dig to about 95-100ish. Fun race.
I only know these cars by reputation(everyone seems to idolize them). But for 60k, roughly what they go for out here, and what BMW calls a production race car... shouldn't it of kicked my ***?
I just googled it and supposedly they have 338bhp and run a 13.3 stock.
Anyway, I will admit, its a nice car and is no slouch for sure. This one was silver with dark tint riding on some black wheels and looked damn good.

I guess I just thought they were quicker tho?? And I doubt my ride runs even the 13.3 these things get stock, let alone catback. The only time I've had the Z on the track it was stock, wet track, but I ran like a 14.35 on street tires first ever time at the track. Haven't made it back since.

So to the point, sorry for length, who else has raced an M3? Is that what should've happened? I don't know if I should think that 13.3 number is inflated(obviously pro driven, but still) or if I'm not giving my car enough credit? Or one of us is a shitty driver, lol.
Either way sick car and fun race, just baffling. For the price and the numbers... I'd still prefer my car judging from those results.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:44 PM
Teching In

Depends on the model year. From the sounds of it, you came across an e46. They aren't really that fast in a straight line. The new e92 M3's have a v8 and are substantially quicker than the previous models. Sounds like a good race you had.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by b4christ15
Depends on the model year. From the sounds of it, you came across an e46. They aren't really that fast in a straight line. The new e92 M3's have a v8 and are substantially quicker than the previous models. Sounds like a good race you had.
X2, the pre 07 M3's all had inline 6 cylinders and were decent cars, but they hardly compare to the new 4.0L V8 thats in the new M3's, 420 some HP and a redlines of 8300 rpms with a 6 speed manual, producing around a 12.5 1/4 mile, the new ones fly thats for sure. the old ones look real nice, handle real nice, and do decent for a 6 cylinder but just needed some updating.

ohh and get this! the new 4.0 v8 in the m3 is lighter than the old 3.2 inline 6!!!! engineering at its greatest!
Old 03-24-2009, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on the numbers you stated, 13.3 and 338hp, I'd say that's pretty impressive for an NA 6-cylinder luxury car. Sounds like a good run, too.

I ran into one last year. Bone stock Phoenix Yellow E46, the guy had just picked it up and was looking to mess around so I played. It obviously didn't go too well for him and after he heard what was done to my car he knew that should be the outcome but he was a cool guy and the car was mint. My favorite year for those cars and the only one I had ever seen in that color. Wish BMW had put a bigger V8 in the new ones.

Those E46 M3s are one of the nicest looking cars around, in my opinion, though.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 03-24-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:15 PM
***Repost Police***

The M3s are known for their track performances on tracks with turns, not dragstrips. Good race.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:23 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
The M3s are known for their track performances on tracks with turns, not dragstrips. Good race.
yes very true, someone have a link to the youtube video where the guy talks about breaking his axle shaft or something racing it at the drag strip!? its the lightish blue color.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

the old m3s really arnt much but the m5s from around 98 and up all came factory with 405 or so horse
Old 03-24-2009, 05:28 PM
Teching In

Ok I didn't realize there was a change in 08? I did some more googling after reading some of you guys' post lol. It was an E90/92/93 or whatever the hell BMW with their weird *** "classes" within classes within divisions of categories(seriously wtf??) instead of names want to call it. I said newer M3, the V8, and when I googled for numbers I apparently grabbed the numbers for the last M3, the e46, thinking that was the most current. Thanks for learnin me guys. lol
It WAS a new one... stated numbers 12.7 quarter and 400 ponies.
Beautiful car.

Well that certainly answers my question though, the guy can't drive. Edit: with those numbers I think thats about the only explanation. Now that I figured out what it is exactly I raced:
Dude shoulda killed me! lol
But I had some fun and learned a lil about bimmers in the process(really don't know **** about em...obviously).
Old 03-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by TurboXL
I guess I just thought they were quicker tho??
Wait til a turn comes up, then you will be going "Ohhhhhhh, I see"
Old 03-25-2009, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i have ran an M3 that was lime green.. twice.. it might of had mods but who knows.. im too loud to tell... highway roll tried to go around me stopped his pull and pulled on him... then a few more times... never really got a REALL race... then is aw him again on the tollway, and followed him, dropped it in 3rd around 65, and just waited, and as soon as he went, i floored it... completed started leaving him, so i starting doing the bunny hop thing, where you punch it, let off, punch it, let off... then he was at my door and fhew through 4th and right when i shifted into 5th, i got in front of him....

our fbodies can take them no problems
Old 03-25-2009, 10:53 AM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by 02ws666
i have ran an M3 that was lime green.. twice.. it might of had mods but who knows.. im too loud to tell... highway roll tried to go around me stopped his pull and pulled on him... then a few more times... never really got a REALL race... then is aw him again on the tollway, and followed him, dropped it in 3rd around 65, and just waited, and as soon as he went, i floored it... completed started leaving him, so i starting doing the bunny hop thing, where you punch it, let off, punch it, let off... then he was at my door and fhew through 4th and right when i shifted into 5th, i got in front of him....

our fbodies can take them no problems
You're also basically a full bolt-on car. With a stock LS1 (Vette or F-body) it's a much better race.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Bone stock Phoenix Yellow E46, the guy had just picked it up and was looking to mess around so I played.
You mean baby diarrhea yellow?
I can't stand that "pheonix" yellow, doesn't look like any pheonix drawing I've seen...

The e46 M3s aren't meant for drag racing but they are pretty stout.

Mid to low 13's at around 105-106mph I believe..

Nice Kill OP
Old 03-25-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Stopsign32v
Wait til a turn comes up, then you will be going "Ohhhhhhh, I see"
I agree that the E46 M3 is a pretty good track car but it's not exactly stellar.

As far as stock track records are concerned, it's slower around the 'ring than the new camaro.
Slower around top gear track than an old nissan 350z, Vauxhall VXR8 (g8 gxp basically) and a GT500.
Just about all of the E46 M3's track records are around the pace of an old 350Z.
Definitely respectable considering it's a luxury car (semi-harsh ride though), but it wouldn't exactly "own" on a roadcourse. JMO...

****EDIT: I just realized you were talking about the e92 m3 most likely. That's a totally different beast...
Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TurboXL
I just lined up with a Bimmer M3 about an hour ago at a light. He had a catback, judging by the looks/sound thats probably about it. My car is in Sig.
Now, I thought these things hauled ***??

Cuz we were side by side from a dig to about 95-100ish. Fun race.
I only know these cars by reputation(everyone seems to idolize them). But for 60k, roughly what they go for out here, and what BMW calls a production race car... shouldn't it of kicked my ***?
I just googled it and supposedly they have 338bhp and run a 13.3 stock.
Anyway, I will admit, its a nice car and is no slouch for sure. This one was silver with dark tint riding on some black wheels and looked damn good.

I guess I just thought they were quicker tho?? And I doubt my ride runs even the 13.3 these things get stock, let alone catback. The only time I've had the Z on the track it was stock, wet track, but I ran like a 14.35 on street tires first ever time at the track. Haven't made it back since.

So to the point, sorry for length, who else has raced an M3? Is that what should've happened? I don't know if I should think that 13.3 number is inflated(obviously pro driven, but still) or if I'm not giving my car enough credit? Or one of us is a shitty driver, lol.
Either way sick car and fun race, just baffling. For the price and the numbers... I'd still prefer my car judging from those results.

Spanaway huh? You dyno at Turbo Tech? just curious-you race on I-5 or 512?
Old 03-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daredevil_TA
Spanaway huh? You dyno at Turbo Tech? just curious-you race on I-5 or 512?
Ya a friend had my car dyno'd there while I was TDY a while back. An the race was on pacific ave actually lol.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
You mean baby diarrhea yellow?
I can't stand that "pheonix" yellow, doesn't look like any pheonix drawing I've seen...

The e46 M3s aren't meant for drag racing but they are pretty stout.

Mid to low 13's at around 105-106mph I believe..

Nice Kill OP
I actually thought it looked pretty mint in that color. It doesn't look that great in pictures but in real life I liked it a lot. Plus I'd never seen one before in that color, so it caught my eye. Ah well, to each his own.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

I agree that the E46 M3 is a pretty good track car but it's not exactly stellar.

As far as stock track records are concerned, it's slower around the 'ring than the new camaro.
Slower around top gear track than an old nissan 350z, Vauxhall VXR8 (g8 gxp basically) and a GT500.
Just about all of the E46 M3's track records are around the pace of an old 350Z.
Definitely respectable considering it's a luxury car (semi-harsh ride though), but it wouldn't exactly "own" on a roadcourse. JMO...

****EDIT: I just realized you were talking about the e92 m3 most likely. That's a totally different beast...
Then explain how I kept up with two different EVO 8's (one modded, one stock) around a twisty road and yes they were both pushing it in my two M3's...... One was a stock '04 with the SMG and the other was a blown '98.

They're very nice cars that perform very well. I would love to have a new one in my garage but a Vette is calling my name
Old 03-25-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Then explain how I kept up with two different EVO 8's (one modded, one stock) around a twisty road and yes they were both pushing it in my two M3's...... One was a stock '04 with the SMG and the other was a blown '98.

They're very nice cars that perform very well. I would love to have a new one in my garage but a Vette is calling my name
It's even more dfficult to argue a car's performance around turns, especially with the major variable being the driver...
I was comparing factory track records, driver ability variable held to a limit.

Fact is that the EVO 8 tends to only be quicker around the tight, short roadcourses. Factory records for the evo show it's quicker than the e46 at the tiny Tsukuba track in Japan, but slower than the e46 M3 at Hockenheim.
EVOs don't rule the chicanes and long swooping turns, their specialty is accelerating out of the turn. Realistically speaking, they are similar to the e46 but with a MUCH worse weight distribution, their saving grace is their complicated AWD system.

Don't get me wrong, the M3 is amazing, but it's heavy weight for its size is its only and pretty serious disadvantage on the roadcourse.
It's fun as hell to drive and incredibly easy to drive at the limit. Is it the quickest on the roadcourse? No. Could a sorted out f-body or mustang overtake it? yes...

Looking at stock cars, I've seen rediculously outmatched cars over take poor drivers all the time...

BTW, what track do you go to?
I've only been to Watkins Glenn myself.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:44 PM
Teching In

I'd probably take an E36 M3 over an E46 M3 around a road course because of the lighter weight. Hec I'd take an E30 M3 over them all if I could find one. They're all wonderfully tossable platforms but drag racing is not their strength. Modifying them (short of F/I) is usually pretty pointless as well. They come tuned to the frayed edges from the factory. BMW knows how to make a great motor. My buddy has a silver '04 M3. After almost $3K in exhaust and intake modifications he picked up 11whp. Poor bastard spent another $800 on a tune and found another 7whp. I'd probably leave my N/A bimmer alone if extra ponies cost $200 a pop.

...Fact is that the EVO 8 tends to only be quicker around the tight, short roadcourses. Factory records for the evo show it's quicker than the e46 at the tiny Tsukuba track in Japan, but slower than the e46 M3 at Hockenheim.
EVOs don't rule the chicanes and long swooping turns, their specialty is accelerating out of the turn...
I agree with everything except the part about long sweeping turns. My car sticks to the hot asphalt like big league chew. With the AWD you just stab and steer. The high HP cars with FWD kick the *** end out into a dust cloud if their brain doesn't check their ego first. The RWD cars usually just do a nice little 180 in the middle of the track. Of course 99.9% of that is the driver. A good driver should be able to manipulate the RWD car's tendency to oversteer by modulating the gas pedal.

Last edited by Steiner; 03-25-2009 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Steiner
I'd probably take an E36 M3 over an E46 M3 around a road course because of the lighter weight. Hec I'd take an E30 M3 over them all if I could find one. They're all wonderfully tossable platforms but drag racing is not their strength. Modifying them (short of F/I) is usually pretty pointless as well. They come tuned to the frayed edges from the factory. BMW knows how to make a great motor. My buddy has a silver '04 M3. After almost $3K in exhaust and intake modifications he picked up 11whp. Poor bastard spent another $800 on a tune and found another 7whp. I'd probably leave my N/A bimmer alone if extra ponies cost $200 a pop.
The E30 M3 is awesome and the Euro E36 M3 (particularly the CSL) is really nice as well.

If I was building an M3 for the track, I would grab up a lightweight E36. Even though I've heard the 3.0 is easier to build up than the 3.2 it wouldn't matter, I would have to drop in an LSX
I think that might even weigh less and offer up a better weight ratio, considering how heavy and long the US cast iron S53B32 is.
That **** would be simply AMAZING.

That's true about the EVO being quick around long sweeping turns. What I meant to say is that it shouldn't have an inherent advantage on certain ones. I'm talking about the long turns where it's ideal to keep a constant speed and not accelerate during the turn until you're nearly out of it, like the carousel at road atlanta. Regardless of drive type, any friction used to accelerate during a turn like that can't be used to continue to turn. It will also lead to understeer even in a RWD as long as the car doesn't have the power to overcome the speed its built up already (nearly impossible to really kick out the rear while going around a sweeper over 80mph, more likely to push the front wheels unless you really stab and try to swing it...).

Last edited by DiscerningZ32; 03-25-2009 at 11:31 PM.