Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Buddies Z28 finally beats me :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buddies Z28 finally beats me :(

So my buddy has a 2000 Z28 that has bolt ons and a descent sized cam in it. NO LS6 INTAKE THO!!! he is auto with a 3500 stall. He also has 3:42 gearing. I used to walk all over him before the cam. He just got back from the air force and we decided to run.

First race, we went from a 35 roll. Well his car stayed in second and i spanked his ***. So he flew by holding the number 25 out his window. so we do a uturn and go from a 25 roll.

He has 315 nittos and i only have 275, but on the third honk, we both take off. His car staying in 1st this time and flung out. My left ear is still ringing from the thunderous exhaust note form his TD's. He pulled about 1.5-2 cars on me. Im an M6. i missed 4th and he wasnt gaining much more was about that much ahead from 25-100.

My only question, is, did i fare well? did my bolt on LS1 stand pretty good against him? im not sure how much he is supposed to beat me by.

To me, i would think he should have beaten me by more. But my car does run really strong.

Also, we went from a dig right after that, and lets just say it was NOT pretty for him. I pretty much had the best launch of my life, and hit EVERY gear PERFECTLY almost like i was driving an auto, and he was way behind. Im guess because he spun like a bithc, but idc about that race.

so wat do you guys think???
Old 04-06-2009, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What cam is he running? Being an auto from a roll he's at a disadvantage, which is why you held as well as you did. More gears means you stay in a better RPM for longer (assuming you shift quick enough to make it an advantage). But which cam he's running and the power it's making could vary greatly. Also, that LS1 intake is choking him quite a bit. A big cam is only going to take advantage of more air/fuel if you can get it into the engine.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ill have to ask him, i know its .59x .6xx but ill find the exact numbers
Old 04-06-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02ws666
ill have to ask him, i know its .59x .6xx but ill find the exact numbers
Get duration, lift, and LSA if you can. I'm assuming he got it tuned, which means dyno numbers, as well. If not, that could be his issue right there. I wouldn't run a cammed car on the street without getting it dyno tuned first. Also keep in mind that his auto will eat up a little more hp than your M6, and it looks like you've got a strong M6 with those mods and dyno numbers. It's very possible he could only be up 20 or so rwhp on you, maybe a little more.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ok just asked him he put down in the heat of the summer 368whp 359wtq

ne ways cam specs... 232 236 595 601 112LSA
Old 04-06-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So my buddy has a 2000 Z28 that has bolt ons and a descent sized cam in it. NO LS6 INTAKE THO!!! he is auto with a 3500 stall. He also has 3:42 gearing. I used to walk all over him before the cam. He just got back from the air force and we decided to run.

First race, we went from a 35 roll. Well his car stayed in second and i spanked his ***. So he flew by holding the number 25 out his window. so we do a uturn and go from a 25 roll.

He has 315 nittos and i only have 275, but on the third honk, we both take off. His car staying in 1st this time and flung out. My left ear is still ringing from the thunderous exhaust note form his TD's. He pulled about 1.5-2 cars on me. Im an M6. i missed 4th and he wasnt gaining much more was about that much ahead from 25-100.

My only question, is, did i fare well? did my bolt on LS1 stand pretty good against him? im not sure how much he is supposed to beat me by.

To me, i would think he should have beaten me by more. But my car does run really strong.

Also, we went from a dig right after that, and lets just say it was NOT pretty for him. I pretty much had the best launch of my life, and hit EVERY gear PERFECTLY almost like i was driving an auto, and he was way behind. Im guess because he spun like a bithc, but idc about that race.

so wat do you guys think???
wow bro! Im not to sure, but you are full bolt-on? I would think it would be close!!! What do you run on the 1/4?

p.s. I should be picking up the V tomorrow! I was supposed to pic it up Wednesday but my wife just sent a text to me saying that we should get it tomorrow!!!!! I hope the loan goes thru without a hitch so keep your fingers crossed for me! lol
Old 04-06-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ya im full bolt on hes full bolt on but he has a cam and a stall.. of course he is going to beat me, but i figured hed beat me by more!!

what year V??

EDIT: he says he ran a 7.2 in the 8th...... i ran a 8.4 in the 1/8 so idk..
Old 04-06-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

ya im full bolt on hes full bolt on but he has a cam and a stall.. of course he is going to beat me, but i figured hed beat me by more!!

what year V??

EDIT: he says he ran a 7.2 in the 8th...... i ran a 8.4 in the 1/8 so idk..

Its a 2004 platinum CTS-V w/ black leather and black inserts and 56K on the clock...
Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 PM

Good race. He's making 15 hp more than you and 9 less tq through the auto. That and running from a roll means that he did pretty well from where I'm standing. He should definitely win from a dig with traction, but as you saw, traction wasn't there to be had, lol.

As far as running 7.2 in the 1/8...I'm not so sure, that's pretty damn fast (comes out to like an 11.2 in the 1/4).
Old 04-06-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good race. He's making 15 hp more than you and 9 less tq through the auto. That and running from a roll means that he did pretty well from where I'm standing. He should definitely win from a dig with traction, but as you saw, traction wasn't there to be had, lol.

As far as running 7.2 in the 1/8...I'm not so sure, that's pretty damn fast (comes out to like an 11.2 in the 1/4).
ya that does sound pretty farfetched, but who knows...he ran a 7.9 on streets then put nittos then says he ran a 7.2... i dont doubt him but it does sound a little low. im thinking his car makes a little more power now tho that its broken in a bit
Old 04-06-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
Its a 2004 platinum CTS-V w/ black leather and black inserts and 56K on the clock...
i totaly thought you were getting a new one man!!! oh well an ls6 is nice too... but better watch out for a silver ws6 with black stripes, i heard he roams the frisco area ha
Old 04-06-2009, 03:29 PM
TECH Addict

i totaly thought you were getting a new one man!!! oh well an ls6 is nice too... but better watch out for a silver ws6 with black stripes, i heard he roams the frisco area ha
lol, look for the platinum V w/ the wife beating the crap outta me for doing 10 over! haha
Old 04-06-2009, 03:31 PM
TECH Addict

Yikes, 7.2 would be ridiculously impressive. I run a 7.5 with the times in my sig. Granted he's an auto so he'll be quicker than me if the cars are similar, but I'm putting down a good 30+ rwhp on him with low 1.6 60's. He definitely needs to finish up the bolt-ons to support that cam (LS6 intake, etc). A cam of that size should have no trouble putting down 380-390 anyways even through the auto. Then again, was it a dynojet? SAE numbers? Lots of factors.

Based on his dyno numbers, your results make sense. I'd say he did well considering the auto from a roll.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
lol, look for the platinum V w/ the wife beating the crap outta me for doing 10 over! haha
ROFL EPIC!!

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Yikes, 7.2 would be ridiculously impressive. I run a 7.5 with the times in my sig. Granted he's an auto so he'll be quicker than me if the cars are similar, but I'm putting down a good 30+ rwhp on him with low 1.6 60's. He definitely needs to finish up the bolt-ons to support that cam (LS6 intake, etc). A cam of that size should have no trouble putting down 380-390 anyways even through the auto. Then again, was it a dynojet? SAE numbers? Lots of factors.

Based on his dyno numbers, your results make sense. I'd say he did well considering the auto from a roll.
well he downshifted it manualy into 1st, so it was just like me in 1st.... he didnt leave it in drive, or i woulda hung ezier
Old 04-06-2009, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

yeah those numbers seemed low, people with much smaller cams are putting down better numbers. But dynos have nothing to do with actual 1/4 numbers. With just headers, mid pipes and a cam I put down 385 through an auto... but it's not stalled which would rob a little HP from what I understand.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

ROFL EPIC!!

well he downshifted it manualy into 1st, so it was just like me in 1st.... he didnt leave it in drive, or i woulda hung ezier
Yes, but his gears are much longer and he drops lower in his powerband on the shifts, taking longer to wind out each gear. That's where you see the difference.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, but his gears are much longer and he drops lower in his powerband on the shifts, taking longer to wind out each gear. That's where you see the difference.
i might be an idiot, but wont his first gear be the exact same as my first gear if we both have 342s... regardless of auto or m6?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:51 PM
Launching!

i might be an idiot, but wont his first gear be the exact same as my first gear if we both have 342s... regardless of auto or m6?
no because your tranny has ratio's also and the 1st in a manual has a different ratio than 1st in a auto, i'll look it up but i think the manual might have a deeper 1st

i was wrong the autos have a deeper 1st
auto---3.06
manual--2.66
so with your rears being the same he can still pull harder in 1st because his tranny is geared lower

and p.s. it doesnt make you an idiot, you gotta find out somehow and asking is the easiest way, i just read a ton of books.

Last edited by the jester 812; 04-06-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Punisher GTO
But dynos have nothing to do with actual 1/4 numbers.
Um...what? Dyno numbers definitely don't guarantee track performance. There are definitely some cars running slower and some cars running faster than their dyno numbers show, but in general you can get a very good idea of what a car will run at the track based on the dyno numbers with a little bit of information.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by the jester 812
no because your tranny has ratio's also and the 1st in a manual has a different ratio than 1st in a auto, i'll look it up but i think the manual might have a deeper 1st

i was wrong the autos have a deeper 1st
auto---3.06
manual--2.66
so with your rears being the same he can still pull harder in 1st because his tranny is geared lower

and p.s. it doesnt make you an idiot, you gotta find out somehow and asking is the easiest way, i just read a ton of books.

ahh ok well that makes since... but all in all my moded ta vs his modded camaro, i would say i hung pretty good then for a bolt on vs a cammed bolt on wouldnt ya think?