Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

TBSS vs My 03 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TBSS vs My 03 GT

I have always heard these Blazers were pretty quick. As I was leaving work yesterday I saw one pulling out of the dealership. He was constantly eye balling my car, smiling, and talking back and forth with his buddy. We pull out on the road and I pull up next to him and he just starts jumping at me. I told him to honk it off and go on three. We were cruising about 35mph and on the third honk I slam it in second and take off. I let out in third with a few bus lengths on him. W both take a right at the next stop sign and he pulls back up next to me again. I give him the thumbs up and he asked for one more run. Same speed. He honks it off again. I carrried it all the way to 110 this time and had several more bus lengths on him. This had really disappointed me considering how quick I have always heard those things were.

TBSS was stock except for a mean sounding exaust.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:16 PM
Teching In

The last one I ran went 12.0 @ 112.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Teching In

I thought all TBSS's were supercharged from the factory. I really dont know that much about them. Guy told me he just had the 6.0 motor but no supercharger
Old 04-19-2009, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by whipplecharged03
I have always heard these Blazers were pretty quick. As I was leaving work yesterday I saw one pulling out of the dealership. He was constantly eye balling my car, smiling, and talking back and forth with his buddy. We pull out on the road and I pull up next to him and he just starts jumping at me. I told him to honk it off and go on three. We were cruising about 35mph and on the third honk I slam it in second and take off. I let out in third with a few bus lengths on him. W both take a right at the next stop sign and he pulls back up next to me again. I give him the thumbs up and he asked for one more run. Same speed. He honks it off again. I carrried it all the way to 110 this time and had several more bus lengths on him. This had really disappointed me considering how quick I have always heard those things were.

TBSS was stock except for a mean sounding exaust.
Is your car whipplecharged? Cause if so, that probably explains why you put buslengths on him. Those trucks can be very quick.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:37 PM
Teching In

I thought all TBSS's were supercharged from the factory. I really dont know that much about them. Guy told me he just had the 6.0 motor but no supercharger

They're N/A! The one I ran had a cam and a small shot of spray.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ARCTIC '00
Is your car whipplecharged? Cause if so, that probably explains why you put buslengths on him. Those trucks can be very quick.
no not whipplecharged. i wish it was. i do not have f/I
Old 04-19-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not buying you putting buslengths on a TBSS that runs the same times your bolt-on GT does....
Old 04-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
I'm not buying you putting buslengths on a TBSS that runs the same times your bolt-on GT does....
Well Im not going to argue with anyone. I know you are one of the ones one here that knows a lot about everything. But unless the guy just quit running after i put a couple lengths on him that was the outcome.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

Well Im not going to argue with anyone. I know you are one of the ones one here that knows a lot about everything. But unless the guy just quit running after i put a couple lengths on him that was the outcome.
I'm not saying it didn't happen I'm just stating I don't see how it happened. RWD TBSS's run 13.7-14.0 @ 100mph or so, exactly what a bolt-on 2v does. AWD ones are 2-3 tenths and 2-3mph slower due to the added weight. Maybe it was AWD and it let off early? who knows.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

lol a bolt on 2v runs a heck of a lot better than 14.0...sorry

i ran better than that STOCK haha
Old 04-19-2009, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep
lol a bolt on 2v runs a heck of a lot better than 14.0...sorry

i ran better than that STOCK haha
Then you can't read. I said 13.7-14.0.....there hasn't been a single stock 2v run better than 13.7 to my knowledge.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i ran 8.8 in the eighth stock...thats about a 13.8 if not better.

and you said bolt-on...not stock...
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM
Teching In

I'm not saying it didn't happen I'm just stating I don't see how it happened. RWD TBSS's run 13.7-14.0 @ 100mph or so, exactly what a bolt-on 2v does. AWD ones are 2-3 tenths and 2-3mph slower due to the added weight. Maybe it was AWD and it let off early? who knows.
You read most post about the TA. My tune was all over the place in that run. Since then I have changed a few things on my car and dont know how big a difference it makes. I went from long tube headers and straight pipe thru flows to shorty header and H pipe thru flows. also i found a hole in my intake inlet that i sealed up. I also hooked up to one of my buddies tuners that he had in his mustang. i dont know exactly what he done but did change my tune for the better obviously from the way my car feels now. My car feels like a totally different car. And to answer any questions about the hole in my intake inlet it was about the size of a quarter.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:37 PM
On The Tree

AWD are also slower due to the drivetrain loss. I'm guessing maybe he meant short-bus lengths.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:56 PM
Teching In

My friend Jon knows the guy that owns the TBSS. He has only had it 3 weeks. Jon said the guy told him he never let off the throttle until he saw me hit my breaks. Also the TBSS was a 2 wheel drive and not all wheel.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:58 PM
On The Tree

My friend Jon knows the guy that owns the TBSS. He has only had it 3 weeks. Jon said the guy told him he never let off the throttle until he saw me hit my breaks. Also the TBSS was a 2 wheel drive and not all wheel.
2WD can run 13.5 @ 101 or so. high 13s @ 99-100 are more the norm, though.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the help on teaching me a little bit more about these trucks. i love the way they look and the one that i raced sounded pretty dang good. i wasnt expecting the outcome of the race to be the way it was.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

What do you expect your car to run, given proper conditions, etc? I remember that you barely beat a stock TA, which shouldnt translate into yanking a RWD TBSS with exhaust from a roll as hard as you did.
Old 04-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Teching In

honestly i dont know what to expect when i go back to the track. when i ran the trans am last weeked my tune was all over the place and i had a hole in my intake inlet that i was unaware of. since that race i have changed from long tube headers to shorty headers fixed the hole in my intake inlet. went from straight pipe through flows to H pipe through flows. and hooked up to one of my buddies tuners that he had in his mustang. the car feels like a totally different car since i have done those few changes.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:57 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by ballhawkdawk
2WD can run 13.5 @ 101 or so. high 13s @ 99-100 are more the norm, though.
Pssshh...13.5 is far from norm. So are high 13's. The average will run 14-flats on a good day.