Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

00' SS vs. Talon (kinda funny)

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 00' SS vs. Talon (kinda funny)

Cliff notes at bottom:

Ok so headed home from the Gym the other night when I notice a decent enough sounding Talon ahead of me driving aggressive and weaving traffic. I don't go out of my way to pick on ricers or anything but the car sounded more tuner than ricer, and I know they can be quick little cars so I follow for a ways until I can get alongside him. At about 45-50 he looks over, I give the nod, drop down to second and we both hit it about the same time. Run it up over 6000 with a steady pull (about 1.5-2 cars), then hit third and ran about half of it out before shutting down because I had tacked another 2 solid cars on and he wasn't gaining. Not a bad run, and it justified me going out of my way to track him down. I would have been disappointed had it been just another ricer you can pull bus lengths on.

Anyway the guy turns out not to be a ricer, he slows down and acknowledges a good race. We are coming up to a light so I figure i'll find out whats done to it. He drops back and down shifts I guess to goad me into another run, his BOV sounded really wierd but I didn't think anything of it until I get to the light and look back to see where he is. I notice him broke down on the side of the road Anyway it was kinda sad/funny, I mean he wasn't a ricer so its not hillarious, but I found it a bit funny anyway.

Cliff Notes: Ran Talon from about 45-50 roll, shut down somewhere in Third (I wasn't really paying attention to the speed) with about 4+ cars on him. Guy pulls along side to acknowledge good run, then trys to provoke another race whereupon his car breaks down.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Too bad for the guy, no one likes breaking their ****. Those talons can be built pretty quick, but they are just a ticking time bomb. I ran into a guy with a tricked out VW Rabbit, I didn't race him but we screwed around on the street a little. I know nothing about VW's but it took off quick, said he had pistons, cams, big turbo, yada yada... Sorry that was off topic but good run.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:05 AM
10 Second Club

It would have been much better if the guy was a dick. Good kill though.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
Too bad for the guy, no one likes breaking their ****. Those talons can be built pretty quick, but they are just a ticking time bomb.

I'm sorry man but that is just a bad reputation these cars get due to stupid owners and when it comes to DSMs, they are very many due to their easy access and "fun to mod" factor. People don't give a damn to give the cars even a needed regular maintenance/checkup before modifying them. It's a darn shame and this is coming from someone who has been around them for years.

Good kill OP.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:00 AM

thanks for sharing this write up...
Old 05-12-2009, 03:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Walk crank walk!!!!! ****** DSMs...
Old 05-12-2009, 07:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Nitroused383
said he had pistons
That's a good thing. Pretty hard to run without 'em!
Old 05-12-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by diambo4life
I'm sorry man but that is just a bad reputation these cars get due to stupid owners and when it comes to DSMs, they are very many due to their easy access and "fun to mod" factor. People don't give a damn to give the cars even a needed regular maintenance/checkup before modifying them. It's a darn shame and this is coming from someone who has been around them for years.
its true they were cheap cars so most owners neglected maintenance early on

i'd still love to have a 1st gen laser though
Old 05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

DSM's are as reliable as giving a crack head money to buy groceries. They can be quick cars, but i wouldn't buy one for a DD though. definatley have to know how to fix them in order to engage in WOT fun.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Teching In

I daily drive mine. Keep the car in good order and it will treat you well. Not rocket science.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by diambo4life
I daily drive mine. Keep the car in good order and it will treat you well. Not rocket science.
I second that been dd mine for over 2 years now and I have to say it has been the "MOST" reliable vehicle I have ever owned. It has its occasional romps but never lets me down
Old 05-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Teching In

DSM's are mostly maintaining them and not beating them to **** or skimp out on parts. I have had 4 DSM's and not one broke just driving it around, they have only broke when racing or going WOT, but it is expected that when you make over 2.5 times the stock horsepower that things will break.