Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Results: 97 TA WS6 > 06 Cobalt SS Stg 2

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Results: 97 TA WS6 > 06 Cobalt SS Stg 2

So I made a post awhile ago about my friend in the Stage 2 Cobalt supposedly making "260whp" saying he would destroy my LT1 ("GM's mistake")

The Cobalt ran a 9.2 1/8th at a local 1/8th mile track on Stage 2 (he has since ported the supercharger and has always talked mad **** to me)

A blown stock tranny put me out for the count for about a month but now the car has a fresh Performabuilt Level 2 4l60e along with a YANK SS3600 and Motive Performance 3.73 gears which all have about 1000 miles on them. Larry @ SpeedInc reprogrammed my PCM for the gears, t-stat, and stall converter and the car is running awesome now!

I APOLOGIZE FOR NOT HAVING A VIDEO!!! VIDEOS COMING FROM MIDNIGHT MADNESSes at local drag strips.

Race 1:

My friend is cocky as hell and we are leaving my house going up Iowa. He has 3 gorgeous girls in his car and I have my best friend and one of the other girls in my car. I go "Ready to embarass Jack?" to my bestfriend.

So Jack starts revving it up and the light turns green and we both take off.
I start out easy because I'm still running 275/40/17 Summotomo street tires and they spin like hell. (getting DR's in a few weeks) My car runs like a bat out of hell now with the new converter. I let off at about 75mph and probably have a good 4-5 car lengths on him from the dig. He of course tops of my laughter with a nice ricer fly-by

Later that night he gives me the weight excuse. (his car weighs 2800lbs and probably weighed 3300lbs that night) (my car weighs 3600 and probably had a good 4100 lbs of raceweight that night)

Race 2:
Jack pulls up next to me yesterday Sunday morning and goes I bet my car will kill yours from a 30mph roll. I say "We'll See."
He does the 3 honks and we take off.
I let off at about 95mph and have a good 2 to 2-1/2 car lengths on him
He wasn't even pulling on me at the higher speeds like he claimed he would.

The most bittersweet moment was when he pulled up next to me at the stoplight after the second race and says "Holy ****, those gears and stall woke that **** up! That ****** is FAST!" Good change of attitude from calling my motor "GM's mistake"

Sorry for rambling, but it just felt good. I love my baby!

Last edited by marc97taws6; 04-03-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

werd. nothing better than shutting cocker mother f-ers up
Old 05-18-2009, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

that's what i like to hear!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't stand people who say "my car's faster than yours" when they have no proof or legitimate reason why they think that way. I had a 93 formula with a cam and mildly ported heads and this guy and all his friends kept telling me because his car was an 02 SS camaro that he'd beat me. Raced him and shut him up. I won by about 2 cars to 100. He kept tellling people he was at my side mirror the whole way. At least this guy understood he was wrong and gave you some credit.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:11 AM
Teching In

I miss my lil cobalt ss, as much as I like my tbss and my 94z it would make mince meat out of both. What does your T/A run in the 1/4?
And way to shut your friend up for running his mouth.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default hmm

He has 3 gorgeous girls in his car and I have my best friend and one of the other girls in my car. I go "Ready to embarass Jack?" to my bestfriend.

So your driving the supposedly faster car but hes got 3 chics with him in his gay cobalt. This story seems

You kids wanna buy my fast and furious dvds so yall can watch em over and over again
Old 05-19-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hate Fast and the Furious. Seriously

After the newest one came out a whole bunch of kids at school with like base Neons and Grand Prix's and 4 banger Tiburons are all coming up to me saying what performance parts do I need to buy to make my car fast?

And for the record, he was taking those 3 girls home..

And if it matters, 2 of the girls in his car texted me and said next time I'm riding in your car! (they both go downtown with me all the time for the races we have here in Iowa) and btw your avs blackout taillights look good! ROFL!!! haha and one of the girls even said the same thing about how the Cobalt is gay.

I have respect for it though. For what it is, it is a nice car. Looks pretty good (even though the styling is a little too overkill for me) and is a good cruiser

Not sure what my car runs in the 1/4 yet... Nearest 1/4 track is 2-1/2 hours away but will try to get there and get some new times soon. Right now I'm working on tires, suspension, and LT headers (previous owner put BBK shorties on )
Old 05-19-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

With some long tubes you are going to make him look really slow.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rich94z28
I miss my lil cobalt ss, as much as I like my tbss and my 94z it would make mince meat out of both. What does your T/A run in the 1/4?
what all did your Cobalt SS have done to it?

Cause my buddy with stage 2 could only pull off a 14.0 which isnt a hole lot faster than your T/A. . . granted the 14.0 was with a 2.4 60' and a trap speed of 106.

Originally Posted by marc97taws6
I have respect for it though. For what it is, it is a nice car. Looks pretty good (even though the styling is a little too overkill for me) and is a good cruiser

Not sure what my car runs in the 1/4 yet... Nearest 1/4 track is 2-1/2 hours away but will try to get there and get some new times soon. Right now I'm working on tires, suspension, and LT headers (previous owner put BBK shorties on )
I'd be willing to bet you could pull a mid 13 second pass with the shorties and street tires, with DR's and long tubes low 13 for sure. I bet those 3.73's really kill it along with the stall now!

Nice kill man and good to hear your friend gave your car some much earned respect.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

You guys sound like bad news story waiting to happen. Freaking racing with 3 people in the car, young girls no less?! You should know better than to even think about running him....so childish.

Freaking heads up, no passengers, and try and keep it to the track if all possible. No need for more dead people thanks to retards clogging the gene pool.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Launching!

props for a fellow high school LT1 owner thats also in Iowa, and i get the same **** from the kids at my high school ever since fast and furious. lame.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:01 PM
TECH Resident

Way to shut him up but seriously even if you lost to him, Atleast your T/A doesnt look like some little girls car.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
werd. nothing better than shutting cocker mother f-ers up
Agreed. I like to pull the no-fly zone all the time.

Get that CC503 and LT headers in there!
Old 05-19-2009, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RSbeast
You guys sound like bad news story waiting to happen. Freaking racing with 3 people in the car, young girls no less?! You should know better than to even think about running him....so childish.

Freaking heads up, no passengers, and try and keep it to the track if all possible. No need for more dead people thanks to retards clogging the gene pool.
Most of the bad news stories you hear are of drunken teenage drivers... I'm sorry but I'm not going to turn down a chance to beat some cocky driver's ***. Call it maturity that I need to gain, but the roads were completely dry, it was late at night with nobody around, and we both have really good radar detectors... Its not the news story you hear about kids trying to go over railroad tracks going 150mph and seeing what happens.

Yes, I need some traction (suspension/tires) and a bit more power (LT's) to get rid of the restrictive shorties and y-pipe! Thanks for the good comments guys
Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rich94z28
And that is also surprising to me, considering the BEST time I've ever seen a guy run at the 1/4 with a Stage 2 Cobalt SS, full bolt-on's, and DR's was a 14.0. My friends times with it in the 1/8th in my best guess would put him somewhere around a 14.4

Get some less restrictive exhaust on your TB SS (LT's, etc.) and some gears, stall or clutch etc. on your camaro and you will be SET!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

I stand by my 'grow up' comment; sorry.
Old 05-19-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I respect that. It was morely just the annoyance.. He has been talking MAD SMACK to me everyday since I got the car in August and we've never been in the opportune time and place to race.

We will continue our races at local 1/8th and 1/4 tracks this year though if that makes you feel any better. I might be dropping by Newton (1/8th) next weekend with my bestfriend to see what I run on my street tires
Old 05-19-2009, 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm with beast, but it is real hard not to punch someone in the mouth when they are talking crap, but when you have a two ton fist with innocent people involve a tire blow out can ruin lives. Remember young people make the prettest coffin stuffers.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Nice kill!!
Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice kill, my friend has a Stage 3 cobalt (2.8 pulley, 42lbs injectors maxed, cobra heat exchanger, PCM4less tune and custom magnaflow exhaust) We raced from a 55 roll and by 100 i had 2 cars and pulling still.

Quick Reply: Results: 97 TA WS6 > 06 Cobalt SS Stg 2