Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

raced a lt1

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 10:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default raced a lt1

well this was my first official street race so i didn't know what to expect..

i had just finished washing and detailing the camaro and decided to go for a drive with the car all clean. i was driving down the local highway when a red z28 lt1 camaro pulls up beside me. he gives me the thumbs up and i do the same. i have seen this car before when he had just bought the car and all he had done to the car at that point was full exhaust. anyways back to the story. we were going down the highway and slow down to about 50mph. he honks three times and we're off. he stays with me for a few seconds then i start pulling hard, probably had 3 cars when i let off at about 95mph. so we pull into a church that was on the highway and talk a little bit. he said he just got a performabuilt tranny put in with a 3000 stall converter. he also said he had 3.73s put in about a month ago. i could tell he had stall but i don't really know if he had the 3.73s. he also had some 305/35/17 c5 zo6 wheels out back so he asked if i wanted to go from a dig. i say "what the hell". now i only have some crappy 245s out back. on my 17x9 ttms=no traction. so we drive around looking for a red light to go from a dig. after about 10 minutes we pull up to a red light. we told eachother we would go when the light turned red. he rev'd his stalled auto up 2000rpm, he tells me later, and the light turns green(now this is my first street race from a dig so i had no idea what i was doing). he immediately catches traction and i burn the tires going side to side fighting the wheels to stay going straight. he immediately gets a 3 car lead on me quick, then i finally start catchin traction at the end of 1st gear. and i start pulling on him. he was still ahead of me about a car when we let off at about 60mph. i admit the loss but immediately ask him if he wants to go from a dig one more time and he nods his head yes. so about 5 minutes later we find another light to race from. he revs his car up to about 2000rpm once again and im just chilling there at idle. the light turns green.....this time i feather the gas so i can get some traction and i stay dead even with him until about 25mph skipping along the asphalt and catch traction and pull like a raped ape... i had about 2 cars on him when i let off at around 70(in a 35mph speed limit downtown so i don't want to go to fast). after that race we nod our heads to eachother and go our seperate ways.

he was a pretty cool guy, and his car has come a long ways from when he bought it.
Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 AM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Noice