Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

04 Z06 vs modded C4 LT1

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 Z06 vs modded C4 LT1

Ok, so I'm out tooling around in the evening in my somewhat recently acquired CE Z06 - going about 5 mph under the speed limit - when a white C4 comes blowing past me at full tilt. It didn't look llike much but it sounded good- it definitely had exhaust. I did nothing at the moment because there was a car in front of me (Note: I don't know why the f- people do that... what do they expect you to do, nail it & rear-end the car in front of you??) but I changed lanes & accelerated slightly as traffic opened up ahead. I got next to the guy, upshifted to 2nd & goosed it to show I was game. At this point we were rolling @ 35-40. He goes WOT and I follow, instantly stopping his pull & passing him easily as I shifted to 3rd. I let out @ mid way through 3rd (@ 65-70 mph) with a 2+ car advantage. We ended up next to one another at the next light & he started talking to me about mods & what not. It is at this point he tells me that he has a hypertech chip, headers, & borla exhaust with no cats (my car is stock save for the poor boy cold air kit, lol). He wants to go from a dig because he feels his A4 will do better while I will have my hands full with the 6 speed. Light turns green & I ease it out of the hole while he takes off more aggressively - nosing me out of the intersection by about a fender. I finally drop the hammer fully & pull past him at the top of first. I shift to 2nd with a fender lead & proceed to put ~2 lengths on him when I shift to 3rd & make it a good bus length before shifting to 4th & shutting it down @ 75 mph. He turns off & I continue on home. That was one of the weaker runs I have had in my car. Heck, I ran a modded 06 Mustang GT the other day that ran me closer than that. It was probably a mid/low 13 second ride though. I would estimate this vette to run a low 14.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Huh? Do you have 4.56 gears in the rear. I'm not calling b.s on the kill but mid way through 3rd @ 65-70 and easing into 4th @ 75mph?
Old 07-10-2009, 10:49 AM
Teching In

No - stock 3.42's. I am estimating speeds- my eyes were not fixed on the speedo or HUD. Also, I didn't shift at 64-6500 in any gear but first.... I didn't have to push the car that hard to win.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C4's are like mid-high 13's stock. My old c4 was fun but my c5 would kill it. My buddy just had his 95 tuned and a 75 shot installed. He's getting it back, so i hope to get some vids up this weekend!
Old 07-10-2009, 12:09 PM
TECH Regular

The only C4 I would consider would be one with an LT5.
But the C4's chassis is just so flimsy.

Nice kill OP.
Old 07-10-2009, 12:14 PM
12 Second Club

Good kill.

My old 92 Vette was an A4. I bet he had the same lazy 2.59s that I had in mine. Those gears are horrid.+ Even with a hotcam, ported heads & bolt ons I was stuck in the high 12s. I remember running an 03 Z06 at Commerce with just an exhaust. I got him on the hole shot but he yanked me after he hit second. Once I sold it to my buddy we swapped those gears from 2.59s to 3.73s. Made a world of difference. Car would trap 114 running a mail order tune.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Teching In

I re-read my original post & it sounded kinda misleading. For the sake of clarification, on the dig race I made the 3-4 shift @ 75-ish & immediately shut it down back into "chill out & drive home" mode.

Bottom line- I shouldn't have even raced the guy because I already knew what the outcome was going to be. I reckon my car is a very low 12 second car & the only C4 that would have something for it would be a modded ZR1 or a Callaway. (Of course, there are exceptions but I am speaking generally)

There is a CAI/exhaust C6 Z06 around where I live that I aspire to eventually race & beat. I have a mind to pull @ 10 G's out of my 401K & take my car over to LG Motorsports so I can make it happen. I just cant gather up the nerve to be that irresponsible, lol.
Old 07-10-2009, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 13_TX
I re-read my original post & it sounded kinda misleading. For the sake of clarification, on the dig race I made the 3-4 shift @ 75-ish & immediately shut it down back into "chill out & drive home" mode.

Bottom line- I shouldn't have even raced the guy because I already knew what the outcome was going to be. I reckon my car is a very low 12 second car & the only C4 that would have something for it would be a modded ZR1 or a Callaway. (Of course, there are exceptions but I am speaking generally)

There is a CAI/exhaust C6 Z06 around where I live that I aspire to eventually race & beat. I have a mind to pull @ 10 G's out of my 401K & take my car over to LG Motorsports so I can make it happen. I just cant gather up the nerve to be that irresponsible, lol.

Come on! Why not? Probably be a wiser investment than the stock market the way things are going lol!
Old 07-10-2009, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 13_TX

Lloyd elliot LE2 kit, exhaust and tune put LT1 cars at about 400 at the wheels all for about $2500 after a tune. So watch out for some of those C4's.
Old 07-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 87turbo2
Lloyd elliot LE2 kit, exhaust and tune put LT1 cars at about 400 at the wheels all for about $2500 after a tune. So watch out for some of those C4's.
Duly noted. Like I said- I know there are exceptions. I am on the verge of making my car a low 11 / high 10 second fire breather. The only things holding me back are 1) the fact that it is a commemorative & 2) my wife potentially leaving me. I am really close though. The real problem is that if I did, I would want to buy another CE C5Z to keep pristine & original & I obviously do not have the $$ to do that presently.
Old 07-11-2009, 05:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Jeez dude what the hell is wrong with you? doing a fellow vette owner that way.... LOL Kidding of course. IMO 80's and early 90's were bad for all cars. early to mid 80s more emissions all controled with vaccum, late 80s early 90s new computer control with lots of bugs, yada yada yada. that and the C5's are strait nasty, good kill man, pull the trigger on the 10k. No time like the present.