Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My first time at the track was so much fun!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up My first time at the track was so much fun!

Went to the track for the first time last night, so nervous! My brother and I pulled up our cars to the raceway sign to take pictures in front of it and while we are there racers go by every once and a while. I waved at everyone being I was so excited about seeing so many other racer's around. Everyone waved back except a sour puss Mustang driver. He was driving a White 5.0 hatch that was REALLY loud and had a white backwards hat. I told my brother, "Uh oh, this guy's car sounds pretty mean, bet he's fast". I wave to the guy and he drives by while staring and scowling at me like I just flipped him off or something?

(The track we raced at was at 4,000ft hence the slow times)

So we go through inspections and go check out some races and my brother goes once down the track @ 13.9, then its my turn. I drive around the water box, turn over my tires and stage. I'm up against a modded up Volkswagon Jetta. I'm pretty nervous about him because all night I had been seeing some civics and evos running 12's so the import guys were haulin *** that night. I wait for the light to turn green and when it does I wait and get my RPM at about 2800 before leaving as the Jetta is taking off in the distance, I waited till I was comfortable, hence my slow *** reaction time, LOL. I work the clutch off the line, spin but hook at the top of first. I bang the gears as hard and fast as I can. Mid way through the quarter I see the Jetta coming up from the side of my helmet and I blow by him like he slammed on his brakes! I manage to get into fourth gear moments before crossing the line.

I get my ticket but don't look at it. I'm to afraid to see what I ran, my brother then runs up to me and says, "what the hell man, you got a 13.7 @ 104! I'm so excited I can't believe it! I get in line again and do the same, this time I try to baby it off the line and get it to hook pretty well. I'm now flying toward the finish line and decide to keep it pinned in third, as I fly through my rev limiter hits twice. Brap! Brap! I get my ticket and its another 13.7 but at 105! Not switching to 4th got me and extra mph!

After I was done I watched more races. There was a C5 corvette running low 14's and guess what the sour puss Mustang driver got? 14.4, LOL. When he ran that I laughed out loud. What a little turd, I hate guys who are rude.

BTW, I'm so jelous of Evo's, they launch like crazy! Brap, Brap, Brap, Brap, dump clutch, rip off line, continue to a 12 sec time. And there were two civic's there but they were running low 12's too! Man those things were gutted and loud! Then a woman was driving a 9sec muscle car, second pass she did a wheelie, lost control half way down the track and flipped! It took an hour to clean up the mess, she was unhurt.

Anywho, I loved the track! Here's my slips...Could only muster up a 2.2 60ft as well as my brother.

And my turd...

Old 07-20-2009, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hard to compare, given environmental differences, but my TA ran 8.70 stock, with a 2.1 60'

At a lower track or a better launch, there are 13.2s in your cars future.

(I cut a 1.90 60' with tires that WERENT Sumitumos.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by OMGWTFBODY
Hard to compare, given environmental differences, but my TA ran 8.70 stock, with a 2.1 60'

At a lower track or a better launch, there are 13.2s in your cars future.

(I cut a 1.90 60' with tires that WERENT Sumitumos.
That's good to know. A moderator at planetlsx said he went 12.7 at a 3800ft track and then went 11.8 with the same set up at a sealevel track. I'm guessing if I hit Sacramento I'd be hitting low 13's, I'm basically only a lid and catback car when it comes down to it.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Friend of mine with a 2000 formula m6 got a 13.00 at 110 or 111 with a 2.1 60ft in march. The DA was like -2000 here in jersey. He was just a lid and !exhaust lol. Get that 60 below 2.0 and you can be hitting 12s with good air, which i guess is hard to come by in neveda
Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
That's good to know. A moderator at planetlsx said he went 12.7 at a 3800ft track and then went 11.8 with the same set up at a sealevel track. I'm guessing if I hit Sacramento I'd be hitting low 13's, I'm basically only a lid and catback car when it comes down to it.

You can't compare all that well to a 12.7.

I'm making my estimate based off of your trap/ET. You car should pull ..3-.4 better with fair driving at a lower altitude. In addition, it is capable of a 1.9 60' with the right launch and street tires (done it).

so .5-.6 off is a good guestimate, and not an uncommon number.
Old 07-21-2009, 08:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice story man. Sounds like you had fun.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

HOOKED ANOTHER ONE!

LOL... Congrats on the track time.

Man, just run her back up there a few more times and you'll work out a launch technique.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:53 PM

Congrats on the times and on the new addiction Not much more fun than a successfull outing at the 1/4 track!