Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

CTS-V vs 21psi STI

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 08:54 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS-V vs 21psi STI

My cts-v has intake, catback, and a mild cam.

he said he had full bolt ons and 21 psi on the stock turbo.

It was qwker then i expected.

First gear roll at about 35 were back and fourth 1st ,2nd, and 3rd gear , then 4th gear I started to pull away and held it..

Second race race a 50 roll and the sti got a jump on me from the honk and I was at his rear bumper, then finaly again as soon as I hit 4th gear i realed him in and was able to take the lead.

Was one of the qwkest stock turbo STi's ive raced (he said it was stock i took his word )

srry bors no vid this time, left my camera at home

Any one know what type of power a STI is puttin down with full bolt ons and 21psi ?

Last edited by maxspeed96ct; 08-23-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Those things can move out too!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 152 Likes on 104 Posts

sti's are silly
Old 08-23-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Nice kill.
All I know about the STI's is that they boost 14 psi stock and I'm pretty sure 21 psi is pushing it for the stock turbo.
Old 08-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Yeah 21 is pretty much the max of the stock turbo unless it was an 08 new body style with their larger turbo. Assuming he is tuned or has a mapped ECU with supporting bolt ons he should be between 300-320awhp. Fastest stock turbo STi I've seen was around 11.7 @ 115 w/ meth injection and pretty much all bolt ons, but he's realistically got a low 12 second car @ 110 or so.

Good kill on a quick car. The stock turbo and gearing sucks for top end so it would be interesting to see you guys go from a dig on video.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DenniSTi
Yeah 21 is pretty much the max of the stock turbo unless it was an 08 new body style with their larger turbo. Assuming he is tuned or has a mapped ECU with supporting bolt ons he should be between 300-320awhp. Fastest stock turbo STi I've seen was around 11.7 @ 115 w/ meth injection and pretty much all bolt ons, but he's realistically got a low 12 second car @ 110 or so.

Good kill on a quick car. The stock turbo and gearing sucks for top end so it would be interesting to see you guys go from a dig on video.
From a dig I dont think I would stand a chance to be honest if he knew how to launch it....

The thing moved ..
Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

he could have a stock turbo but have a tons of stuff done to it and might be in the upper 300awhp range, but their gearing wasnt that good in the older ones so they suffered a bit frm roll races
Old 08-26-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

he'd have to have a REALLY aggressive tune to be in the upper 300's on a stock turbo.

usually they are around the low 300's on a mustang with boltons at that psi they weigh almost as much as an fbody lol
Old 08-26-2009, 02:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sujomatt
he'd have to have a REALLY aggressive tune to be in the upper 300's on a stock turbo.

usually they are around the low 300's on a mustang with boltons at that psi they weigh almost as much as an fbody lol
Wow, i would think more then low 300s, but then agian that sounds realistic compared to bench racing " I prolly dyno around 450" noise some guys talk on the st.

also as far as weight goes my CTS-V is like a f-body with 4 ppl in it, so The v did well IMO..
Old 08-26-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah they arent the lightest
Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by maxspeed96ct
Wow, i would think more then low 300s, but then agian that sounds realistic compared to bench racing " I prolly dyno around 450" noise some guys talk on the st.

also as far as weight goes my CTS-V is like a f-body with 4 ppl in it, so The v did well IMO..
haha i hear you - my STi had a GT3076R turbo, 850cc injectors, and the usual boltons - was tuned to 19psi making 405/395
Old 08-26-2009, 05:49 PM
Banned

haha i hear you - my STi had a GT3076R turbo, 850cc injectors, and the usual boltons - was tuned to 19psi making 405/395
damm that must of been fun to drive.
The guy I ran had the same injector size from what I remember..

I almost bought a STi becuase its fast and CT weather sucks(snow), but a few of my buddies have them and i just didnt want the same thing ...
The cadi is a **** load of fun to drive, and rides nice and smooth... Only downside is all winter it sits in the garage....

Btw is your camaro red? i think ive seen you at burger king on the pike a few times..
only one ive see around with boost is why i ask .
Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 AM
TECH Resident

damm that must of been fun to drive.
The guy I ran had the same injector size from what I remember..

I almost bought a STi becuase its fast and CT weather sucks(snow), but a few of my buddies have them and i just didnt want the same thing ...
The cadi is a **** load of fun to drive, and rides nice and smooth... Only downside is all winter it sits in the garage....

Btw is your camaro red? i think ive seen you at burger king on the pike a few times..
only one ive see around with boost is why i ask .
yea im still in CTsubie and new england subaru on the forums so i havent left the AWD scene haha. also, yea im the boosted camaro on the pike, red with black rims and accents. shoot me a honk if u see me next time!
Old 08-27-2009, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice kill, man. I haven't seen your CTS-V around but it would be fun to get a friendly run in if we bump into each other this Fall (looking to have my car back on the road in the next few weeks after a trans rebuild).

I'm not sure if they are the same motor, but I ran a guy a few times with an Evo 8, cams/full bolt-ons and meth on the stock turbo running about 28psi. He made around 370 at first if I recall. First runs were close when I had a passenger and shifting issue, then I sorted out my issues and showed up solo while he got retuned to about 385 and I walked him pretty good. We were both surprised because those are light cars.

Last edited by PewterScreaminMach; 08-27-2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
Nice kill, man. I haven't seen your CTS-V around but it would be fun to get a friendly run in if we bump into each other this Fall (looking to have my car back on the road in the next few weeks after a trans rebuild).

I'm not sure if they are the same motor, but I ran a guy a few times with an Evo 8, full bolt-ons and meth on the stock turbo running about 28psi. He made around 385 if I recall. First runs were close when I had a passenger and shifting issue, then I sorted out my issues and showed up alone and walked him pretty good. We were both surprised because those are light cars.
Evos and STis are different animals.. Horizontal 4 2.5L vs Inline 4 2.0L

and that evo must have had headstuds lol
Old 08-27-2009, 08:18 AM
TECH Addict

Evos and STis are different animals.. Horizontal 4 2.5L vs Inline 4 2.0L

and that evo must have had headstuds lol
I'll take your word for it! I know very little about both. I don't know where I got the idea that they had similar motors but it's always good to learn and I never bothered looking it up.

BTW, I know someone who would be a good run for you here in CT. 02 Z28 with a cam and 100 shot. Should be putting down similar hp as you if you're interested. Just finishing a clutch breakin today and tomorrow and I know he's planning on going up to the pike this weekend to test out the new clutch.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

Yea dude, im the same way - the more info the better

I am usually at the pike on Sundays and sometimes Thursdays at BK if you guys want to come by. A few mustangs, an STi, 2 red camaros (1 being mine), and my buddy has a 94 black Supra he brings.. that or his 1 of 2 produced black hardtop Saleen Cobra's *drool*. let me know if you are down!!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:48 PM
Banned

I'll take your word for it! I know very little about both. I don't know where I got the idea that they had similar motors but it's always good to learn and I never bothered looking it up.

BTW, I know someone who would be a good run for you here in CT. 02 Z28 with a cam and 100 shot. Should be putting down similar hp as you if you're interested. Just finishing a clutch breakin today and tomorrow and I know he's planning on going up to the pike this weekend to test out the new clutch.

Ya sti can be beasts

I hope your not talking about a good run for me, maybe sujo cause a f-body with a cam and a 100 shot will eat me lol .

me and my buddies always do some small meets here and there, sometimes tuesday nights cause theres nothing else to do, that how I ran into that 240 i raced.

Id def like to do some runs with you for fun, from your dyno numbers youll prolly win. Im waiting for my headers to come in.

But i want to see how Id do since I almost bought a ls1 camaro after selling my 97 lt1, but then fell in love with the V...
Old 08-27-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Addict

Ya sti can be beasts

I hope your not talking about a good run for me, maybe sujo cause a f-body with a cam and a 100 shot will eat me lol .

me and my buddies always do some small meets here and there, sometimes tuesday nights cause theres nothing else to do, that how I ran into that 240 i raced.

Id def like to do some runs with you for fun, from your dyno numbers youll prolly win. Im waiting for my headers to come in.

But i want to see how Id do since I almost bought a ls1 camaro after selling my 97 lt1, but then fell in love with the V...
How much does your car weigh? I'm definitly down for a roll or a dig when I pop the tranny back in but I don't think the dig will go too well unless you've got some very sticky tires and a strong clutch. Regardless, I love just running for fun and I'm in love with CTS-Vs, so I'm good for it.
Old 08-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Banned

How much does your car weigh? I'm definitly down for a roll or a dig when I pop the tranny back in but I don't think the dig will go too well unless you've got some very sticky tires and a strong clutch. Regardless, I love just running for fun and I'm in love with CTS-Vs, so I'm good for it.

i weight about 3700 ~ 3800 + driver , you dyno around 400 with heads and cam ? what are your numbers ?

from a roll I have a chance when i get my headers on, from the line not at all....

Last edited by maxspeed96ct; 08-27-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Quick Reply: CTS-V vs 21psi STI