Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My CL600 vs 98 S'charged Cobra, LS1 Camaro w/ 100 shot, Mk4 Supra, FD RX7, & 408 T/A

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 06:31 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My CL600 vs 98 S'charged Cobra, LS1 Camaro w/ 100 shot, Mk4 Supra, FD RX7, & 408 T/A

Well, this weekend I had a good time in Mexico. Here's a quick recap of the fun!

CL600 vs S'charged 98 Cobra:

Race 1 - We went from a 20 roll, and he jumped a little early...like right after the 2nd honk (seems to be normal for him). As soon as he jumps I hammer it and stop his pull with his back bumper at my front bumper...and we stayed right there until my governor shut the fun down at 130.

Race 2 - This time was a 25 roll, with the same early jump after the 2nd honk. Basically the same results, except he had a fuel pump issue that shut his car down around 100.

CL600 vs LS1 Camaro w/ 100 shot:
This race actually came about because the Camaro and above Cobra were going to race when the same fuel pump issue resurfaced...so I took the Cobra's place.

Race 1: From a dig...(glad cause I HATE roll racing). Anyway, I bring the car up to 1300rpm, hold it, and wait for him to honk it off. We both leave together on the 3rd honk and I put several bus lengths on him right off the bat. By the time we hit 80-90 I see him coming hard and reeling me in quick. At 120 we were door to door, and right after that it looked I was tied to something.

Race 2: 40 roll. We leave together on the 3rd honk and he steadily pulls me until we shut it down at 120 with him about 2-3 cars ahead. With him not having to lauch it was over for me before it ever started.

Race 3: This was a no spray run from 30. I pulled him steadily up to 120 with me finishing about 2-3 cars ahead this time.

CL600 vs Mk4 Supra:

Only Race: From a dig, we both nail it...and I find out I'm a total douche and didn't turn of ESP. Anyway, he jumps me pretty quick while my car pulls power. Finally get the big Benz rolling and start making up ground quick...and came around him at about 80 and pulled steadily with 3+ cars at 120. We were gonna go from a roll, but he didn't want to after I made up that much ground.

CL600 vs FD RX7:

Race 1: 40 roll, we both nail it and I jump him. He's about at my back bumper and as his turbo spools he makes up ground till he's at my door. Then he shifts and drops back to the bumper, then makes it back to my door again. Another shift and he's back at the bumper. As the turbo spools again he starts making up ground and we were door to door at 120. After 120, though, he left me bad!

Race 2: From a dig, apparently his car isn't so good off the line and I got about 2 cars on him right off the take off. We finished at 120 with him 1/2 a car behind, after 120 it was the same story.

CL600 vs 408 T/A:

Only Race: From a dig I jumped him 1-2 cars and then he started making up ground quick. But...we shut it down at 80 because he got a high RPM noise he didn't like. I won't BS here...This race would've been over quick if I he had've stuck the launch.

Car specs:

CL600 - Stock 03 w/ 5.5L V12 TT - Governor at 130, seems to start pulling power between 120-130, but I don't know for sure.

98 Cobra - 4.6 4V stick with a supercharger, intercooler, and aftermarket cams...don't know much else about it.

LS1 Camaro - Unsure of year, but the mods are a mild cam (sounded like a 224-ish), BBK intake mani, LT's and true duals, 100 shot of N2O. STOCK STALL - for those wondering why he didn't murder me.

Mk4 Supra - Stockish, 15psi boost, injectors and fuel pump, MT ET Street Radials

FD RX7 - Port work, T04R turbo, dunno what else.

408 T/A - M6, built 408 T/A, needs a clutch.

Last edited by FormulaZR; 08-24-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL. yeah, I certainly didn't expect that heavy *** CL600 to launch like that. But then again, bad judgement on my part trying to launch my over full weight T/A at only 3000 RPM. DOH!

Sad thing about that weird noise, I got on it again on the way home and no noise??? I have no idea what the hell it is. It happened Friday and Saturday night. Both times that it happened was top of third around 6000 RPMs. Shane was with me Friday night when it happened so I know I'm not going crazy and just hearing crap...lol.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:54 PM
c6r
On The Tree

Get in touch with Renntech or amg etc. to remove the governor then it will really fly CL600 - Stock 03 w/ 5.5L V12 TT - Governor at 130, seems to start pulling power between 120-130, but I don't know for sure I love racing amg benz & BMW M-5,M-6 cars on the topend, they are pretty fast.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by TACE02
LOL. yeah, I certainly didn't expect that heavy *** CL600 to launch like that. But then again, bad judgement on my part trying to launch my over full weight T/A at only 3000 RPM. DOH!

Sad thing about that weird noise, I got on it again on the way home and no noise??? I have no idea what the hell it is. It happened Friday and Saturday night. Both times that it happened was top of third around 6000 RPMs. Shane was with me Friday night when it happened so I know I'm not going crazy and just hearing crap...lol.
If I can chim in, I had an high rpm intermitent noise on nitrous(kinda ticking scary sound on driver side). I checked my spark plug wires and one was half plugged(the interior metal snappin part was broken :S), plus my spark plugs needs to be change...just a thought..

good runs OP looks like you have a unique ride!!
Old 08-24-2009, 06:40 AM

Valvetrain or clutch prolly, those are the main things that would randomly make noise at high rpms
Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 AM
11 Second Club

Yeah, there's a fine line between bogging on the launch and making a smoke show. I'd like to re-run them again...I KNOW you'll beat me, but I still like seeing how I stack up. It'll help after I get it tuned to see how much it improves, too. Enjoyed the run, though.

Well, hopefully it's nothing serious and just a simple quick fix. I don't know how aggressive you cam is, but I wonder if it's valve float? If not, I hope it's that clutch you need to replace anyway!

Originally Posted by c6r
Get in touch with Renntech or amg etc. to remove the governor then it will really fly CL600 - Stock 03 w/ 5.5L V12 TT - Governor at 130, seems to start pulling power between 120-130, but I don't know for sure I love racing amg benz & BMW M-5,M-6 cars on the topend, they are pretty fast.
Yeah, AMG won't touch a non-AMG car (they have done one 600, but won't do anymore) but I have plans in the near future to get the Renntech tune. The Renntech tune bumps the car to 625hp and 745tq and removes the V-max limiter. 130 is so quick and easy in that car, seems such a shame, but I guess it's for insurance/lawsuit reasons.

Originally Posted by Johnnystock
If I can chim in, I had an high rpm intermitent noise on nitrous(kinda ticking scary sound on driver side). I checked my spark plug wires and one was half plugged(the interior metal snappin part was broken :S), plus my spark plugs needs to be change...just a thought..

good runs OP looks like you have a unique ride!!
Thanks...for being totally stock it sure runs good. It's damn sure not invincible, but it does turn a few heads.

It was actually pretty funny, after I beat the Supra the guy driving it told the guy in the RX7 he should race "that car" and pointed to where my car was parked. An Integra was sitting beside my car and the RX7 driver asked "what? that Integra built or something?" so...obviously my car is a sleeper.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by formulazr

it was actually pretty funny, after i beat the supra the guy driving it told the guy in the rx7 he should race "that car" and pointed to where my car was parked. An integra was sitting beside my car and the rx7 driver asked "what? That integra built or something?" so...obviously my car is a sleeper.
loll...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:01 AM
Staging Lane

LOL, sleeper. Not for those who know. hahaha. Yeah, we will run again, just got scared when I heard that noise. 2 nights in a row is a no go for me. Considering the first night we thought it was Sellers exhaust in front of me. Will be at the track this weekend if you wanna play... ;-).

Johnnystock: thank you, I never even thought of something that simple. Will have to check it out.

SneakySSnake: thank you, I was actually considering the fact that my clutch may have a problem. Esp. since I have had an issue going into 3rd 3 times in the past couple weeks. Like hitting a wall when shifting at high RPMs (6000-6300). Might try to bleed it first. I am thinking I am not getting the potential out of my setup that I should be getting. And valvetrain, please no, I somehow a few weeks ago broke a yella terra ultra lite in half (#7 exh) and bent a manton custom pushrod (#7 int). Not sure what happened either. And it definately wasn't from hitting the rev limiter, cause at that point I still hadn't gone over 6000 RPMs. Can only figure it was a manufacture defect. As I just had this setup built in June by someone who knows how to build an engine.

Sorry Zach, not trying to steal your thread, but it is being helpful...lol.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
11 Second Club

LOL, sleeper. Not for those who know. hahaha. Yeah, we will run again, just got scared when I heard that noise. 2 nights in a row is a no go for me. Considering the first night we thought it was Sellers exhaust in front of me. Will be at the track this weekend if you wanna play... ;-).

Johnnystock: thank you, I never even thought of something that simple. Will have to check it out.

SneakySSnake: thank you, I was actually considering the fact that my clutch may have a problem. Esp. since I have had an issue going into 3rd 3 times in the past couple weeks. Like hitting a wall when shifting at high RPMs (6000-6300). Might try to bleed it first. I am thinking I am not getting the potential out of my setup that I should be getting. And valvetrain, please no, I somehow a few weeks ago broke a yella terra ultra lite in half (#7 exh) and bent a manton custom pushrod (#7 int). Not sure what happened either. And it definately wasn't from hitting the rev limiter, cause at that point I still hadn't gone over 6000 RPMs. Can only figure it was a manufacture defect. As I just had this setup built in June by someone who knows how to build an engine.

Sorry Zach, not trying to steal your thread, but it is being helpful...lol.
No worries...anything to help you get that noise eliminated! I am actually going to try to get the Benz to the track this weekend...haven't made a pass at a track since I replaced the IC pump, so I'd like to see how much of a change there is.

I tried to get nitrous in the Bird this weekend...but my standalone fuel cell is missing so.................it didn't happen.
Old 08-24-2009, 10:22 AM
Staging Lane

Cool, hope to see you out there. I am considering going Friday night, Test N Tune. Better track prep and cooler temps. Hopefully no more than 4000' DA, fingers crossed. But gonna also try and go Sunday for street day. Don't worry about the spray in the bird, you allready know you don't need it against me, least not this year...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

Cool, hope to see you out there. I am considering going Friday night, Test N Tune. Better track prep and cooler temps. Hopefully no more than 4000' DA, fingers crossed. But gonna also try and go Sunday for street day. Don't worry about the spray in the bird, you allready know you don't need it against me, least not this year...
Ha ha...might not NEED the spray...but it's totally untuned right now and I really don't want to tune it twice.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Addict

NICE runs Zach! Cant wait to see your CTS-V kill story on here too. lol

I should really just put 150shot in her and call it a day...hehe
Old 08-24-2009, 01:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
NICE runs Zach! Cant wait to see your CTS-V kill story on here too. lol

I should really just put 150shot in her and call it a day...hehe
You didn't see the (crappy) vid of me running a CTS-V at the strip?