Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

My CL600 - First dragstrip passes w/ new IC pump...

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My CL600 - First dragstrip passes w/ new IC pump | with cell phone vids

On my first trip to the dragstrip a few months back I was all over the place. ET fluctuated by a little over a second and MPH by about 6. I used the info to diagnose a bad IC pump and replaced it. So...fast forward to now. I took it back to the track this weekend to see if there was any change and am mostly pleased with the results. The DA was about 3900. Overall the car was very consistent, all the runs were 8.1x's @ 87-88 mph. All these runs were on all season street tires...I'd like to see what a pair of MT Street Radials would do...

I made about 12 passes pretty much back to back to see if heat soak would be an issue, and like I said before everything stayed pretty consistent. I did get to run against several cars that have some work, including a built 03 Cobra, built 98 Cobra, LS1 Camaro w/ 100 shot, another LS1 Camaro with H/C/I and converter, 2 LS1 Trans Am's, etc...only the 2 Cobra's beat me...The biggest issue of the day was the naps I kept taking at the tree (otherwise the 98 Cobra wouldn't have beat me)...dammit!!!

Some low quality cell phone vids:

Last edited by FormulaZR; 08-31-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

benz's always have had great launches.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

damn...........freakin sweet.
what does that translate into in the 1/4
Old 08-31-2009, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by hugger1975
damn...........freakin sweet.
what does that translate into in the 1/4
Thanks!

My guess is a 12.35-12.5@110; could be faster, I really don't know. My only 1/4 passes were with a bad IC pump, which this weekends slips proved was killing the power. Anyway, I don't really know for sure if this car has more on the top end than down low or not. Hopefully I will have a definite answer in a couple weeks.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Thanks!

My guess is a 12.35-12.5@110; could be faster, I really don't know. My only 1/4 passes were with a bad IC pump, which this weekends slips proved was killing the power. Anyway, I don't really know for sure if this car has more on the top end than down low or not. Hopefully I will have a definite answer in a couple weeks.
Those bi-turbo v12's scream on the top end.... i wouldnt be surprised if its faster than you think in the 1/4. Did you make these runs in dyno mode? Even when you turn the TC off there is still some torque reduction. There is a procedure through the cluster to turn it on.

To start, turn the ignition key to the first accessory position, making sure the dash display shows the odometer. The SRS airbag light should be on. Press the trip odometer reset button three times rapidly before it goes off. If you do this right, a screen will appear showing a voltmeter. Then press the "up" arrow on the left side of the wheel twice to take you to the "ESP dynamometer test" screen. Using the plus (+) button on the right side of the wheel, select "on." And then start the car. Warnings will appear informing you that the ESP, ABS, and BAS (brake assist) aids are now turned off and you're on your own.

If you did it right, you've put the car in a mode intended for diagnostic testing on a rolling dynamometer-all electronic supervision is unplugged. To return all the safety technology, scroll back to the dyno test screen and select "w/t. 15 off" with the minus (-) button. Shutting off all the electronic aids isn't easy, and that should tell you something. Owners are not generally privy to the dynamometer mode but it sets the car free....
Old 09-01-2009, 06:59 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mart00SS
Those bi-turbo v12's scream on the top end.... i wouldnt be surprised if its faster than you think in the 1/4. Did you make these runs in dyno mode? Even when you turn the TC off there is still some torque reduction. There is a procedure through the cluster to turn it on.

To start, turn the ignition key to the first accessory position, making sure the dash display shows the odometer. The SRS airbag light should be on. Press the trip odometer reset button three times rapidly before it goes off. If you do this right, a screen will appear showing a voltmeter. Then press the "up" arrow on the left side of the wheel twice to take you to the "ESP dynamometer test" screen. Using the plus (+) button on the right side of the wheel, select "on." And then start the car. Warnings will appear informing you that the ESP, ABS, and BAS (brake assist) aids are now turned off and you're on your own.

If you did it right, you've put the car in a mode intended for diagnostic testing on a rolling dynamometer-all electronic supervision is unplugged. To return all the safety technology, scroll back to the dyno test screen and select "w/t. 15 off" with the minus (-) button. Shutting off all the electronic aids isn't easy, and that should tell you something. Owners are not generally privy to the dynamometer mode but it sets the car free....
The runs were not in dyno mode...I do know about dyno mode though. In the future I may try it, but at first I'm looking for the most *honest* all stock 1/4 mile run I can get. Mostly because I will be adding a Renntech tune in the coming months and want to be able to see the gains. Thanks for the info, though!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Teching In

Good runs! If it's 100% stock it should be around the 12.4-12.6 range in the 1/4. Those cars are actually most noted for their crazy torque on the bottom end.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:43 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by RON 95ZR1
Good runs! If it's 100% stock it should be around the 12.4-12.6 range in the 1/4. Those cars are actually most noted for their crazy torque on the bottom end.
Yea...freakin' torque monster LOL. I'm really expecting a 12.35-12.5. I figured I'd be around 110, but that was based on 1/8 to 1/4 mph from my old runs with the bad IC pump and I know I was losing a lot of power. A lot of the Benz guys are telling me I'll be in 115 range (which is where I get the 12.35 from)...but we'll see. The 1/4 mile strip isn't prepped as well as this 1/8 track, so I'm sure my 60' will be off. I was a little shocked that it was cutting 1.8x and 1.9x 60's all day on all season BFG's. The only non-stock part of the car (besides window tint and smoked lights) is a higher flow non-Benz IC pump. Anyway...I hope to be able to put up some current 1/4 times within the next few weeks. I'm really trying to get as much baseline data as I can so I can see how much future mods are changing the performance! Renntech ECU/TCU tune coming soon!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 11:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FormulaZR
Yea...freakin' torque monster LOL. I'm really expecting a 12.35-12.5. I figured I'd be around 110, but that was based on 1/8 to 1/4 mph from my old runs with the bad IC pump and I know I was losing a lot of power. A lot of the Benz guys are telling me I'll be in 115 range (which is where I get the 12.35 from)...but we'll see. The 1/4 mile strip isn't prepped as well as this 1/8 track, so I'm sure my 60' will be off. I was a little shocked that it was cutting 1.8x and 1.9x 60's all day on all season BFG's. The only non-stock part of the car (besides window tint and smoked lights) is a higher flow non-Benz IC pump. Anyway...I hope to be able to put up some current 1/4 times within the next few weeks. I'm really trying to get as much baseline data as I can so I can see how much future mods are changing the performance! Renntech ECU/TCU tune coming soon!!!
I use to have your same powertrain but in a S-Class. I now have a Barolo Red 2008 S550 Sport. It's not nearly as fast as TT V-12 but it's got "decent" power lol.

And yeah your 1/4 traps will be closer to 115 the way it sits now.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:22 AM
Staging Lane

Great 60fts for that thing!

So how much improvement can be expected in "dyno mode"? What a PITA but still very cool.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:28 AM
Teching In

Just be careful driving in "Dyno Mode" on the street. That setting disables all your trac/stability management, including ABS! That kind of low-end torque with that curb weight and No ABS could be very dangerous!

Quick Reply: My CL600 - First dragstrip passes w/ new IC pump...