Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

KB SRT8 Challenger goes down to the old LT1

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KB SRT8 Challenger goes down to the old LT1

Sat night I took the Camaro to a local car hang out at a Bass Pro and the turn out was pretty good. When I was leaving there was a set of head lights sticking pretty close to me as I am making my left onto Mercury Blvd to make my way home. When we finish making the turn the car behind quickly move into the other lane to try and come around so, since the coast was clear, I go ahead and nail it. This arrests his overtaking maneuver and I seem to be pulling on him some but we were quickly getting to speeds that are just too much for that area so I shut it down. At this point he comes along side and gives the thumbs up and I notice that it is a new Challenger SRT8 so right away I knew that he was not stock. We cruised down the blvd together and finally catch a light but not in a place you would want to run but we did get chat for a few moments. He seemed pretty surprised at how strong the Camaro was and I found out the he was supercharged. When the light turned green he decide to follow me onto the James River Bridge. We get past one car and there in no one in front of us for miles. After we cross the span we get side by side at about 55-60mph in 3rd (for both of us I find out later) and he gives the 3 honks and we hit it pretty even. We are next to each other for a split second and then I start to pull. By the top of 3rd I had a 1-2 car lead and when we hit 4th I start pulling even more. I end up taking it through 4th and even hit 5th briefly before I shut down with him ~5 cars (maybe more) back. When we get to the other side we stop and talk. The car is an Orange '09 6spd Challenger SRT8 that has the Kenne Bell 2.8L twin screw with a 9psi pulley on a stock engine. The car was done a DTP (in VA). The owner was pretty cool. He got out of his car and shook my hand saying that I was the first car to beat him. He thought for sure that I was running nitrous, but I explained that it was just an NA stroker old school LT motor. I never did get to find out exactly how much power he was putting down but according to the KB web site the 9 psi kit is advertised at 542 rwhp on an otherwise stock engine. So not too bad for the old LT motor.

Last edited by racerns; 09-07-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 05:43 PM
12 Second Club

yeah i handed one its *** today too he quickly got off the freeway where he pulled over and cried.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Launching!

i go to dyno tune performance to get my tuning done, but i live across the bay bridge on the peninsula, i think i saw that car sitting there last time i had my TBSS over there getting tuned. man i envy all you guys who get to put a beat down on people who think 4th gen camaro's are old tech, whether it be LT or LS. i very seldom get any really good races and im usually not in the camaro when something nice rolls thru.
Old 09-07-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

nice kill!! haven't seen an srt8 challenger yet..
Old 09-07-2009, 08:22 PM
12 Second Club

great kill man! i had met that guy a while back and was unimpressed with his #s. BTW, i finally made it to SAvannah,GA. but currently residing in a hotel til i find a house.
Old 09-07-2009, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

impressive
Old 09-08-2009, 08:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ****** srt8
great kill man! i had met that guy a while back and was unimpressed with his #s. BTW, i finally made it to SAvannah,GA. but currently residing in a hotel til i find a house.
Didn't know that you left the area. He told me that he just, in the past week or 2, put the 9# pulley on and got retuned at DTP. I got a phone call before I could ask him what his final numbers were though. When we were sitting at the light before we lined up I thought he said someting like "well north of 500 rw". Needless to say he was very suprised that he lost.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

weight no doubt played a part in his loss even though its not a huge difference
Old 09-08-2009, 12:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whats done to your car? I assume it traps in the 120mph neighborhood
Old 09-08-2009, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 180ls1
whats done to your car? I assume it traps in the 120mph neighborhood
To be honest I am not sure with my current set up what it traps. The car is primarily set up for the road course. The engine is a 396 LT4 using hand ported (by me) LT4 heads, the GM 847 cam, 6" Promod rods, and custom JE pistons that has a 11.5:1 compression ratio. It puts down ~425 rwhp. It has not been to the strip in years and the last time it went (6 years ago) I shreaded my clutch on the first launch. Back when I had a slightly different set-up (still 396) and cam, I ran a best of 11.87@ 118 on street tires and a best trap of 119mph. It was putting down 400 rwhp at the time.
Old 09-08-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
To be honest I am not sure with my current set up what it traps. The car is primarily set up for the road course. The engine is a 396 LT4 using hand ported (by me) LT4 heads, the GM 847 cam, 6" Promod rods, and custom JE pistons that has a 11.5:1 compression ratio. It puts down ~425 rwhp. It has not been to the strip in years and the last time it went (6 years ago) I shreaded my clutch on the first launch. Back when I had a slightly different set-up (still 396) and cam, I ran a best of 11.87@ 118 on street tires and a best trap of 119mph. It was putting down 400 rwhp at the time.
That guy must have been one shitty driver. He's got at least 100 rwhp on you by a conservative estimate and even with his heavy-*** car, there's no way you should be pulling five cars unless your car weighs 3,000 pounds or less, which would also be impressive.

I'm not saying it didn't happen, just that he either didn't know how to drive or something was up for you to pull like that on him. Great kill!
Old 09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by PewterScreaminMach
That guy must have been one shitty driver. He's got at least 100 rwhp on you by a conservative estimate and even with his heavy-*** car, there's no way you should be pulling five cars unless your car weighs 3,000 pounds or less, which would also be impressive.
I guess there could be a driver issue, but we both started in 3rd and most of the race was in 3-4 so only one simple shift even though we did go to 5th briefly. He did not mention anything about missing a gear or anything like that. Here are my thoughts; first people put too much into the peak hp number (as area under the curve matters more), next is the weight as my Camaro is 650-700lb less than the Challenger, and last at the speeds we were running the aerodynamics would become a factor. I think all of that, plus the fact the LTX engine is awesome , equaled the win.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So you are saying my bolt on 100 shot ls1 could beat a KB SRT8 because of aerodynamics and 650lbs. I don't see it happening and I'm not trying to be a dick but anything can happen on the street good kill
Old 09-08-2009, 03:16 PM
Staging Lane

nice kill, slowpar or no car right? lol getting beat by an lt1 always pisses people off i love it
Old 09-08-2009, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
So you are saying my bolt on 100 shot ls1 could beat a KB SRT8 because of aerodynamics and 650lbs. I don't see it happening and I'm not trying to be a dick but anything can happen on the street good kill
Not sure what your bolt on 100 shot ls1 car runs but according to this perfromance chart from Kenne Bell, maybe.

Weight does make a big difference.
Old 09-10-2009, 04:26 AM
On The Tree

Nice Kill! I got an SRT-8 Challenger by few cars a couple of months ago.. Im pretty sure he was stock though but it was a bad *** lookin car!
Old 09-10-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by racerns
Not sure what your bolt on 100 shot ls1 car runs but according to this perfromance chart from Kenne Bell, maybe.

Weight does make a big difference.
Wow, those are some SHITTY *** trap speeds for that kind of power. I guess that's what you get when your two door muscle cars weighs more than my extended length Ford Aerostar (and no, I'm not exaggerating).

Old 09-10-2009, 08:26 AM
On The Tree

Wow, those are some SHITTY *** trap speeds for that kind of power. I guess that's what you get when your two door muscle cars weighs more than my extended length Ford Aerostar (and no, I'm not exaggerating).
Yep, KB may be a little on the conservative side with his numbers but for comaprison there is a local guy that has a 300 SRT8 with a 426 stroker that dynos about 520rwhp and he usually traps ~119mph but has had a best of 122mph. That should be about the same power and weight range of the Challenger I ran.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:11 AM
TECH Resident

People keep forgetting the new camaro is nearly just as heavy. But that chart is just a general base. What altitude and tempature was it made on? Running at 500 ft and 80F degree day is different than running 100ft at 60F degrees. It would be night and day different in times.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

No, the new 5th gen is 300lbs lighter than the Challenger, which is a big difference if you ask me.

My car would be faster for sure with a 300lbs diet.

Quick Reply: KB SRT8 Challenger goes down to the old LT1