Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

2002 SS vs 2008(?) BMW 135i

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 SS vs 2008(?) BMW 135i

It was a nice cool evening last night so a quick drive with the T roofs off was in order. My street was pretty busy with neighbours' visitors so I had to wait while a newer white BMW pulled a U turn- no biggie. Eventually I get out of the 'hood and look who lines up at the lights with me. This guy pulled around a slower car quite aggressively making it obvious he wanted to run, but wouldn't really look at me. I know the Bimmer puts out 300 hp, 300 ft/lbs of twin turbo power- one magazine said it was overpowered!!! My OE goodyears are hockey pucks so traction will be an issue - turbo lag could be an issue for buddy soo... The light turns green, I launch with lots of clutch slipping and no tire spin! Buddy does the same and we're even then WHAM! Midrange turbo power throws the Bimmer hard ahead of me by 1/4 car length! It's okay 'cause my stock LS1 hits 4500 rpm and WHAM! My midrange torque powerers me a full car length forward to 6500rpm (still pulling!!!), I grab second and he's already in 2nd but I am pulling hard in the sweet spot and its goodbye Bimmer. By the top of 2nd, 75 mph or so, buddy gives up. He won't even look at me at next set of lights!! Well, we run again and its the same! From a roll, I give him the WTF? after he wont run a 3rd time so he drops the hammer, gets the jump (finally, he's thinking) and I reel him in!!! I thought it was over when those turbos kicked in but the long gearing and extended redline of the LS1 made it a race. His car was a stick as well, and the conditions for a turbo were perfect so there you go!!! Just a lid, SLP Y pipe and suspension and you realize our cars are still competitive engine wise and with more bolt ons you can run and beat these guys on the road courses too! Not bad for a car thats been out of production for 7 years!

Last edited by pewter2002; 09-21-2009 at 06:09 AM.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Creative story and nice kill. I believe you ran a 335i those are twin turbo v6 cars. A guy from my church has 1 and he said 300 or 330 hp can't remember. He has kinda hinted about running my car he thinks he will win haha. His is stock but if he does exhaust and cai plus a tune that will up the boost he definitely thinks he will win...little does he know I have a special button that hops up my car to over 450rwhp like a heroine addict that just scored his first hit of the day. Man do I love having nitrous especially when noone who races around me knows
Old 09-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Teching In

135i and 335i have the motor.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:48 PM
***Repost Police***

It's an inline-6 cylinder, and they run mid-high 13s stock. Good kill.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by pewter2002
It was a nice cool evening last night so a quick drive with the T roofs off was in order. My street was pretty busy with neighbours' visitors so I had to wait while a newer white BMW pulled a U turn- no biggie. Eventually I get out of the 'hood and look who lines up at the lights with me. This guy pulled around a slower car quite aggressively making it obvious he wanted to run, but wouldn't really look at me. I know the Bimmer puts out 300 hp, 300 ft/lbs of twin turbo power- one magazine said it was overpowered!!! My OE goodyears are hockey pucks so traction will be an issue - turbo lag could be an issue for buddy soo... The light turns green, I launch with lots of clutch slipping and no tire spin! Buddy does the same and we're even then WHAM! Midrange turbo power throws the Bimmer hard ahead of me by 1/4 car length! It's okay 'cause my stock LS1 hits 4500 rpm and WHAM! My midrange torque powerers me a full car length forward to 6500rpm (still pulling!!!), I grab second and he's already in 2nd but I am pulling hard in the sweet spot and its goodbye Bimmer. By the top of 2nd, 75 mph or so, buddy gives up. He won't even look at me at next set of lights!! Well, we run again and its the same! From a roll, I give him the WTF? after he wont run a 3rd time so he drops the hammer, gets the jump (finally, he's thinking) and I reel him in!!! I thought it was over when those turbos kicked in but the long gearing and extended redline of the LS1 made it a race. His car was a stick as well, and the conditions for a turbo were perfect so there you go!!! Just a lid, SLP Y pipe and suspension and you realize our cars are still competitive engine wise and with more bolt ons you can run and beat these guys on the road courses too! Not bad for a car thats been out of production for 7 years!
nice run and kill. but do you have a tune. i believe the stock rev limit is 6200 on our cars, right?
Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
TECH Regular

Oops, the tach was flying so fast, I was not watching closely- I was def in the orange/red portion of the tach and did NOT hit the rev limiter! You are correct about 6200 rpms, no tune. FWIW, the journalists that tested the Bimmer figured that on a cool day the 135i was good for sub 5 second 0-60 times from the as tested 5.2 0-60. The beauty of the LS1 motor is its ability to breathe right up to redline compared to GMs of the past. Like I said, I must have been right there rev -wise and the 3rd run I was well into 3rd just to make a point to Bimmer- Boy, the longer the race, the greater the lead I was putting on him! I have had NO races of ANY kind for a couple of years (most guys look but have no interst- only the "serious" guys with big $ cars who "know" they're going to win (ha ha) race it seems around here)so this race def renewed my pride and faith in my car! BTW, thanks for the pleasant responses and catching my rpm error- the motor and electonics are stock.

Last edited by pewter2002; 09-21-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Daz
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE=pewter2002;12251703] with more bolt ons you can run and beat these guys on the road courses too! QUOTE]

A whole lot of suspension mods ! Bimmers are not that easy to beat on a road course even with thier stock suspension.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Daz
A whole lot of suspension mods ! Bimmers are not that easy to beat on a road course even with thier stock suspension.
Not to mention the *35 cars have pretty big brakes. The 135s are like 13.2s and the 335s are 13.5"
Old 09-25-2009, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

My friend has a '09 135i BMW that's stock. He wants to race me once his motor is broken in. I have full bolt ons so I guess I know how our race will go.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Staging Lane

good kill
Old 09-25-2009, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SSmokin99
My friend has a '09 135i BMW that's stock. He wants to race me once his motor is broken in. I have full bolt ons so I guess I know how our race will go.
Should easily go your way. For a BMW the x35's are relatively inexpensive to modify. Full exhaust incl downpipes, FMIC, Intake, and one of the top tuners, and you are running almost 400/400 at the wheels on 93 octane. Stock they are around 270-280whp. For the manual there is only about an 8% drive train loss.

They love race gas, and methonal kits are just catching on like wildfire. In the case of meth and even 91 octane you are looking at maxing out at about 425whp and 450wtq on the stock turbos in the high 16psi range.

Upgraged turbo kits are just starting to come out and you can get to the mid 500's for whp. Only a handful of people have them so far.

So tell your friend to get modding after you beat him.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:44 PM
TECH Resident

Nice kill, I guess they aren't the ultimate driving machine after all!